KLF20 cabinet damping

jazzfan

Nice brace.  Perfect location.

Use the cap head wood screws with the allen head for the woofers (Parts Express).  Also a nice touch is drilling out the additional 4 holes in the cosmetic ring from the back, then drilling the fronts to match the original Klipsch 4. Adding the additional 4 screws there. This will make the woofer pull down much nicer and hold much tighter to the cabinet.

4 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Nice brace.  Perfect location.

Use the cap head wood screws with the allen head for the woofers (Parts Express).  Also a nice touch is drilling out the additional 4 holes in the cosmetic ring from the back, then drilling the fronts to match the original Klipsch 4. Adding the additional 4 screws there. This will make the woofer pull down much nicer and hold much tighter to the cabinet.

i cant see how you would do that neatly  unless you drill out with small drill from the back.. then with a larger one from the front to accommodate the screw head... but then they would not loo k the same as the others.. maybe drill the others out the same diameter from the front.    Yes, my allen head cap screws are like the parts express.    

I used a small drill, the same size as the hole in the back, paid close attention to drilling it straight through, then used a larger drill the same size as the original holes fron the front (using the small hole as a pilot) and drilled the front holes until the drill touched the metal frame.  Looks the same as the other holes, particularly when using screws such as 081-312_ALT_1.jpg

in the holes.  Works excellently with nice tight and consistent  pulldown.  Used some of the 1/8" gasket tape at Parts Express also 260-540_ALT_9.jpg

Much better than stock.

21 hours ago, efzauner said:

i cant see how you would do that neatly  unless you drill out with small drill from the back.. then with a larger one from the front to accommodate the screw head... but then they would not loo k the same as the others.. maybe drill the others out the same diameter from the front.    Yes, my allen head cap screws are like the parts express.    

Here's what they look like with dusty woofers :o

20170706_084930.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Before I did any work on my KG 5.5's  I was surprised at how such a large cabinet could have zero cross bracing. At higher volumes you would feel the cabinets vibrating, and rapping ones knuckles on the box resulted in a very hollow resonant sound.

Upon opening up these beauties on my workshop bench I remarked out loud in the privacy of my man-cave at how large the interior was. At this it was clear they were like a hard echo chamber and it occurred to me that a putting a speaker into a large echo chamber might not be the greatest basis for a fine sounding speaker system.

At the time I was building sound treatments for our new home and figured the semi-rigid fibreglass batting made for this purpose might also be good for cutting the reverb in the empty box. Now with the fibreglass installed I tried the same talk to my self in the box routine and was pleasantly rewarded with a very dead sounding voice, and what I feel is a better sounding speaker too.

IMG_5889.thumb.JPG.87026a0217da74162764506705e643b7.JPG