Austin TX - Belle on CL

bkevind

10 hours ago, Tasdom said:

With that being said, I believe most everyone on the forum knows what is a fair price  for any given Klipsch speaker. Be it high, low or spot on imo is irrelevant to it being posted to the alerts.

Not really... a lot of posters remove the asking price as soon as it is sold or delete the posting  so unless you live every moment on every posting you might be interested in you can miss alot.

A spreadsheet would be very helpful as a starting point.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I'm not mindless or stupid.  Please feel free to explain it to me.  If you don't want my data, don't use it.  It doesn't hurt my feelings.  B)

I get LOTS of PM's from people asking for the spreadsheet who ARE appreciative of my sending it to them.  Please explain to all those other forum members why they also don't "get it" according to your judgement.  

I find your spreadsheet useful if utilized as intended, to be a guide. Anything being sold is of a certain value only to the person buying. This is subjective to location, need, and the value of a dollar to the purchaser. Many here have vast differences in disposable income. Use the spread sheet as a reference, but don't be afraid to over pay (a little). Belles don't come up as often as others do. If you go an extra year or two looking for the best possible deal, you have deprived yourself of some great listening experiences. I slightly overpaid for my first set of Belles and don't regret it. I got a much better deal on my second pair simply due to the considerably lessened urgency based on the fact that I already had a set.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

I find your spreadsheet useful if utilized as intended, to be a guide. Anything being sold is of a certain value only to the person buying. This is subjective to location, need, and the value of a dollar to the purchaser. Many here have vast differences in disposable income. Use the spread sheet as a reference, but don't be afraid to over pay (a little). Belles don't come up as often as others do. If you go an extra year or two looking for the best possible deal, you have deprived yourself of some great listening experiences. I slightly overpaid for my first set of Belles and don't regret it. I got a much better deal on my second pair simply due to the considerably lessened urgency based on the fact that I already had a set.

I think it's helpful also. The fact that someone spent the time and energy to put something like that together, then gets ridiculed about is pretty sad. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I think it's helpful also. The fact that someone spent the time and energy to put something like that together, then gets ridiculed about is pretty sad. 

I thought the same thing, but I'm not on here often enough to know when it is good natured ribbing between comrades or bad form. So I usually stay out of it. Plus it seemed Dave was able to defend himself quite well without me and be a good sport too.

• Like 2

• Moderators
16 hours ago, wvu80 said:

That is not what I do.

I exclude sales where the price is 2 standard deviations from the mean.  I note the sales but they are NOT included in the average.

This is clearly notated in my spreadsheet.  Which I am happy to share with anybody who wants to see it.  

This is NOT true.  Many people don't know what their speakers are worth or what a good price is for speakers with which they are not familiar. 

I track Heritage prices.  I don't know what RF-7's are worth.  I don't know what RS-62 sell for.

I started the spreadsheet in the first place because I would offer an OPINION on a certain speaker at $1000 and somebody would say "no, it's $1250."  A third person would say "you're both wrong, it's $1500."  

Who's right?  My opinion is no better or worse than anybody else's so I started gathering data.  Opinions are still OK, but now there can be 20 or 30 sales from which to derive a hi/low and average.

2 Std deviations.   Brought me back to my statistics class.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, MookieStl said:

I find your spreadsheet useful if utilized as intended, to be a guide.

Anything being sold is of a certain value only to the person buying. This is subjective to location, need, and the value of a dollar to the purchaser. Many here have vast differences in disposable income. Use the spread sheet as a reference, but don't be afraid to over pay (a little). Belles don't come up as often as others do.

If you go an extra year or two looking for the best possible deal, you have deprived yourself of some great listening experiences. I slightly overpaid for my first set of Belles and don't regret it. I got a much better deal on my second pair simply due to the considerably lessened urgency based on the fact that I already had a set.

Thank you, that's exactly what I had in mind.  It's kind of fun for me as a hobby and it's just a guide.  Your whole post captured my sentiment as well.

I remember a forum member who wanted CF-4's.  I don't track them but I value a good pair at about $800.  He wanted them and they did not come on the market that often in his area so he paid $1500 for his.  He was happy to have them.  It doesn't matter what I think they are worth, it was a good deal for him because it was what he wanted.

A willing Buyer and a willing Seller set the prices.  Simple as that.  B)

• Like 4

You boys very funny.

Thanks @bkevind for the post.

Thanks @Tasdom for the pics of the post.

Thanks @wvu80 for sharing your accumulated sales numbers, dates, condition, finish, etc. 

On 10/8/2017 at 9:49 PM, wvu80 said:

A willing Buyer and a willing Seller set the prices.  Simple as that.  B)

Passed on OO Chorus 2's very recently for this very reason ^^^ as the ask price was just not acceptable to me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bkevind said:

Now my data is a set of 2 points. Another fella has Belles in Laredo for $3250.  :-O

Makes the 2500 pair seem like a good deal :D

NOPE - the item(s) need to sell for the collected data points to have pricing validity.

• Like 1

It's OK, but be "very" aware of the statistical police within the forum :ph34r:

Add - driving 40mph in a 25 zone doesn't always result in a moving violation.

Thank you to those in blue that do their job without the unnecessary heavy handedness.

17 minutes ago, Arrow#422 said:

It's OK, but be "very" aware of the statistical police within the forum :ph34r:

Add - driving 40mph in a 25 zone doesn't always result in a moving violation.

Thank you to those in blue that do their job without the unnecessary heavy handedness.

Haha.  Fair enough.  I buy high and sell low, so I tend to be the outlier for stats.  Used items have a lot of variance to their value, seems tough to really nail it down.  I know  there is an acceptable range, but most of the time I hear/read of stories of people finding xyz for pennies on the dollar.  I never find those deals!  Sometimes I wonder if some of those thrift store finds are fabricated.