L/C/R = Forte III/Heresy III/Forte III

Mike V

I have decided on Forte IIIs for my new music room (converted game room).  I will have a large screen TV on the wall, and a Heresy III for the center speaker.  We will probably spend half the time listening to 2-channel music (TV off), and the other half watching TV with center channel.  This decision is made, so please do not try to talk into something different (we already have a media room for movies - 7.1).  My question is this:

For aesthetics, what are the possible matching finishes/grills to match the Forte IIIs with the Heresy III?  I am open to any color / style.  Will there be a matching problem?  Can I order from the factory and customize the three speakers to meet my wishes?  What are the options for me?

Thanks!  Really looking forward to listening, but I want them to look great, too!

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Mike V said:

This decision is made, so please do not try to talk into something different

Welcome

I wouldn't if anything I would have tried to talk you into the Forte lll. Good choice, if there was room for a 3'rd Flll that would be my first choice just for perfectly matching sound, but if space may be a problem ? 

32 minutes ago, Mike V said:

For aesthetics, what are the possible matching finishes/grills to match the Forte IIIs with the Heresy III?  I am open to any color / style.  Will there be a matching problem?  

I don't see where that would be a problem, as long as you didn't pick one of the Forte styles that the Heresy does not come in.

3 minutes ago, Gnote said:

Contact @MetropolisLakeOutfitters  here on the forum ,  he can help you  :D

That's exactly what I was going to recommend, contacting Cory, he can help you with making sure all the finishes are the same.    

• Like 1

I would think the F-III and H-III would match up pretty close considering they both use all the same drivers; woofers, tweeters and mid diaphragm, just a different mid horn. They have the same sensitivity as well so they should blend effortlessly. There's a thread going right now with a custom ordered set of Cherry finished F-III's, same finish as on the H-III's, they sure look sweet!  Sounds like you're assembling a very nice system, congrats, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I would think the F-III and H-III would match up pretty close considering they both use all the same drivers; woofers, tweeters and mid diaphragm, just a different mid horn. They have the same sensitivity as well so they should blend effortlessly. There's a thread going right now with a custom ordered set of Cherry finished F-III's, same finish as on the H-III's, they sure look sweet!  Sounds like you're assembling a very nice system, congrats, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

It's the Cornwall lll and Heresy lll that use the same exact mid and tweet.

The Forte lll has a different mid horn for sure, not sure about the tweeter and I think the woofer is different also. 

23 hours ago, Mike V said:

I have decided on Forte IIIs for my new music room (converted game room).  I will have a large screen TV on the wall, and a Heresy III for the center speaker.  We will probably spend half the time listening to 2-channel music (TV off), and the other half watching TV with center channel.  This decision is made, so please do not try to talk into something different (we already have a media room for movies - 7.1).  My question is this:

For aesthetics, what are the possible matching finishes/grills to match the Forte IIIs with the Heresy III?  I am open to any color / style.  Will there be a matching problem?  Can I order from the factory and customize the three speakers to meet my wishes?  What are the options for me?

Thanks!  Really looking forward to listening, but I want them to look great, too!

Regarding the finishes, black is the same, walnut at least ought to be the same.  Cherry is not the same unless you request that they use the traditional stain on them.  The new natural cherry has no stain and is very pale, while all the other heritage models continue to use the stain.  You can custom order the Fortes with the old style stain though.  Look at the general klipsch info forum, then custom cherry forte thread.  After you do this they would match.  

Grills would not match though, I'd have to ask to see if something custom could be done if desired.  The material is different and logos are a different style.  I can ask around and see what can be done if you want.  

Is there any way you can fit a third Forte in the middle?  That would be ideal but I realize the TV would have to be raised.  

Thanks to all you who gave me advice!  Here is the reply I got from Klipsch:

Dear Michael,

Hi Michael,

The Walnut, Cherry, and Black Ash finishes are the same on all Heritage line speakers.

Any of those finishes will match and they will have the same grill.
Hope this is helpful,

Is the new cherry not as dark as the old cherry stain ?  That is what I was going to order. I do not want black or a light stain - the cork floor I am putting in next week is a whitewashed wood color - almost off-white.  

Mike

I definitely want the Heresy III for the center. This changing of the Forte III Cherry stain is disappointing. The Klipsch people answering my questions do not seem to be aware of the new lighter cherry stain, nor do they seem to understand the different grills. 🙁

Maybe I will get the Cornwall III's to match better the Heresy III center speaker, sonically and aesthetically with the darker cherry stain. That will definitely prevent me from deciding to add a subwoofer later, and I doubt I will regret buying the Cornwalls down the road. 😊

On 10/12/2017 at 11:33 AM, Mike V said:

This changing of the Forte III Cherry stain is disappointing. The Klipsch people answering my questions do not seem to be aware of the new lighter cherry stain, nor do they seem to understand the different grills. 🙁

It is no problem to get the traditional stain, it just takes a custom order and some waiting, I just did it a couple weeks ago, the result is beautiful and is shown below.  No the normal Forte in natural cherry does not look like this.  

forte cherry 6.jpeg

On 10/12/2017 at 11:33 AM, Mike V said:

I definitely want the Heresy III for the center. This changing of the Forte III Cherry stain is disappointing. The Klipsch people answering my questions do not seem to be aware of the new lighter cherry stain, nor do they seem to understand the different grills. 🙁

@Mike V, this is the reply I got from Klipsch regarding the change of the cherry finish:

“The other Cherry models in the Heritage series use our standard cherry finish, which is Cherry wood veneer with a “reddish” stain applied before the clear lacquer topcoat.  We have offered this finish for quite a few years, and it is nice finish.  But we were seeing cases (and also getting feedback) where the grain in the finished wood panels had almost disappeared.  We discovered that in cases where the Cherry wood had a light grain pattern the “reddish” stain was washing out the grain pattern of the wood.  It would start to look like a solid red piece of wood.  We were also faced with the fact that our standard Cherry finish wasn’t nearly as popular as our Walnut and Black Ash finishes. So we believe that a change was necessary.  

We felt that moving toward a more natural tone Cherry finish brought the grain pattern back to life.  In addition, it was thought that the Forte launch was a good time to offer a lighter tone wood choice again to add some variety beyond our standard Walnut, Cherry & Black Ash choices. As you’re probably aware, we also added the “Distressed Oak” wood veneer option for this purpose, as well.  This is, of course, to take advantage of the distressed furniture trend that is so popular right now.

I don’t expect this to change your opinion about the finish, but I wanted you to at least understand where we were coming from.  Wood choices and finish options can be a very frustrating task.  The color and grain pattern of the wood veneer changes from shipment-to-shipment…And unfortunately, Klipsch can’t control that.  The domestic species of the cherry and walnut veneers that we use are actually pretty stable compared to the exotic wood veneers we use in some of the special edition models Klipsch has offered recently.  The only thing you can be sure of about that is the next pair of speakers in line will look completely different in color and grain pattern from the first.”

Unfortunately, the new finish does not match the cherry finish on my other speakers. Not even close in my opinion.   I’m going to try and sell these speakers and get a finish I want.  If I was you, I’d send a PM to  @MetropolisLakeOutfitters  and talk to him. He’s very knowledgeable and will answer all your questions.  I’ve bought several items from him and he is highly recommended by me and others on here.

The Forte III’s sound incredible. Buy them. If you want the old cherry finish, Cory will make it happen.

• Moderators
On 10/22/2017 at 7:10 PM, Mike V said:

Heh.  Now I think I have been talked into three Forte IIIs, left, front and center.  This is my final answer. :)

Nothing is final. :D but I like that idea

Whichever way you go nothing sounds better than three exact matching speakers across the front, I was told this for years from forum members here. After years of searching I found a second pair of Forte ll's to get that match across the front and they were right all along, It's a perfect match.

Whoever told you that is giving you good advice, I wasn't thrilled you were considering the Heresy between the forte's for a center, I like the H3, but don't know how that would sound matched with the new forte's ?

A Heresy3 between Cornwall 3's is a much better match than between Forte3's, same horns on H3 and C3.

Now as of a week or so ago I went against that idea :o I replaced the forte ll L&R with Forte lll's for the mains and the same center, a forte ll. I couldn't help it.....I guess one day I will get another lll for the center, it does seem to match very well. Maby I can add one little line to make ll a lll and trick my brain ? :unsure: