Synergy F3's with damaged crossovers

Hello all,

This is my first post in the forum and I have done a few searches and have called or emailed Klipsch and they sent me to a place that no longer existed.

I purchased a pair of Synergy F3's for a great price knowing that there was an issue when I tested them before buying. I was unable to hear anything from the tweeters so I pulled the tweeters and they looked fine. I pulled the terminal plate out to get to the crossover and found that they were fried. I am trying to locate some original F3 crossovers to bring my new purchase back to spec for the best listening experience.

One thing that I can tell you right now, if you bypass the crossover for the tweeters, you will get some impressive highs from them! Ear-piercing to say the least but the tweeter response is phenomenal!

If I can't source the whole board, I guess I can get a friend of mine (Masters in Electronics Engineering) to replace the faulty parts ore even just rebuild it all on the original board.

Last option would be to bypass the whole thing and do an external crossover, but I am not really sure how well that would work.

crossovers.jpg

4 hours ago, NightHawkATL said:

I am trying to locate some original F3 crossovers to bring my new purchase back to spec for the best listening experience.

I have never seen anybody reference or try to sell F3 XO's.  Yours is the first.  I'm glad you posted the picture of that blown XO because it certainly is fried!  I presume the other XO is still intact?  You will need it to get the values off the caps.

My suggestion would be to try to rebuild the XO with new components.  I haven't seen an F3 schematic so I don't know how you would find the correct values if they can't be read off the old components. 

Bob Crites is well known for making replacement XO's but the F3 is not listed on his website.  You might call Bob and get his opinion.  You could send them to him if he could rebuild them.

I think @rebuy has done some work with the F3 XO.  He will get this notification when he logs in the next time and maybe he will weigh in with an opinion. 

Deang rebuilt mine. I would have your friend rebuild both of those

if he can do that sort of work.

You'll want both to match in each speaker.

Use Dayton Audio  metallized polypropylene capacitors.

Also use Mills Resistors. 

That's what deang used---I am not an expert.

Those parts will give your speakers better sound.

You could contact Deang here to get his advice

but I don't know if he's doing these type of crossovers.

He usually works on Heritage stuff.

Let us know how it goes.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:14 PM, rebuy said:

Deang rebuilt mine. I would have your friend rebuild both of those

if he can do that sort of work.

You'll want both to match in each speaker.

Use Dayton Audio  metallized polypropylene capacitors.

Also use Mills Resistors. 

That's what deang used---I am not an expert.

Those parts will give your speakers better sound.

You could contact Deang here to get his advice

but I don't know if he's doing these type of crossovers.

He usually works on Heritage stuff.

Let us know how it goes.

deang should be able to supply the schematic if he had built yours and no longer building for others, then one would be able to build a new set of x-overs from scratch if needed