ALEXA - Any updates!?

Scooter 1

Tasdom,

Built into what is a fair question. Alexa was a highlight at CES 2017 with adding skills to wireless speaker systems so yo can control them with your voice. You can already do it in Sonos and Heos. Yamaha and Phorus should be this month. This seems to be a hot item. The Klipsch Stream Wireless Multi-Room System like the RSB-14 with DTS Play-Fi appears to be capable. I saw on the Play-Fi  website they are working on this but I'm not sure where Klipsch themselves stands on this and when we will see a press release like I've seen on competitor's websites. 

https://play-fi.com/news/amazon-alexa-voice-service-coming-soon-to-dts-play-fi

https://www.amazon.com/Play-Fi-Multi-Room-Wireless-Music-Streaming/dp/B013XC2O0U

• Like 1

I'm hoping for a Klipsch representative to respond. Maybe even product development. The article below mentions Klipsch as one of the companies that plan roll outs in 2017. There is also mention of select companies that will release far-field microphone-equipted DTS Plau-Fi products and that is the tech that Klipsch uses. 

Klipsch, how's it going? When can we expect some news?

Re:

https://play-fi.com/news/amazon-alexa-voice-service-coming-soon-to-dts-play-fi

"The DTS Play-Fi ecosystem features the largest collection of products in the whole-home wireless space, with more than 30 interoperable speakers, soundbars and receivers from the top names in premium audio, including Klipsch Sound Systems. New products and firmware updates enabling the Alexa service will roll out to DTS Play-Fi products starting in 2017."

"New far-field microphone-equipped DTS Play-Fi products featuring the built-in Alexa experience will launch from select partners in 2017."

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Scooter 1 said:

I'm hoping for a Klipsch representative to respond. Maybe even product development.

I just have a feeling that's not the direction they are going right now, just a guess.

• 4 months later...
11 minutes ago, RP Pok said:

This getting ridiculous. It’s 2018 and where is Alexa for Klipsch. I don’t mean the portable speakers. I’m talking about an Alexa skill for the Powergate and such. Klipsch Rep needs to respond. 

Since this is your first post, I'll say "welcome" and try to help you understand some things.

Klipsch reps don't usually post here.  We have a Klipsch dealer, the web master posts on occasion and there are a few others "official" Klipsch types.

Most of the time we on the forum ask a direct question about upcoming products Klipsch politely declines to discuss them.  They are "sworn to secrecy" and are prohibited to discuss such things until they do a roll out on their own terms.

I realize you would like some information on Alexa but if Klipsch, Inc doesn't want to reveal anything right now, it's not personal to you.  They have to follow direction from management just like everyone else.

• 6 months later...

#klipschstream there were many press release announcements from CES 2018 in January stating that Alexa support would be coming to the Klipsch stream products in Q1 of 2018 but it's almost September now and still no new firmware updates since late 2017. When can we expect to see this new Alexa enabled firmware released? I purchased two RW1s and a The Three in anticipation of this functionality yet it is still not there. Alexa's PlayFi Skill can see The Three on the network but states "needs firmware update" and yet there is no firmware update to enable it.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I recently purchased a "The Three" and a Alexa echo dot,

and hardware wise, i can see that it is a premium product.

but software im not so sure, at the moment i can not get Alexa to find the "The Three" at all.

i have tried both the Play-fi and Klipsch stream apps, no dice.

Could anyone please verify that "the three" and alexa can work together?

if so can anyone please point me towards instructions on getting this to work, beyond the instructions in the app that dont seem to work?

Any links to the alexa skills (so i can ensure they are installed) would be appreciated as well.

i think i installed the play-fi skill, but it seems to have disappeared from the amazon skill store now?

thank you for any assistance.

On 10/26/2018 at 4:32 AM, Dean0 said:

Could anyone please verify that "the three" and alexa can work together?

if so can anyone please point me towards instructions on getting this to work, beyond the instructions in the app that dont seem to work?

Any links to the alexa skills (so i can ensure they are installed) would be appreciated as well. 

I set up a The Three with Alexa this weekend, and it "works". When I first ran the Klipsch Stream app, it set up The Three on my WiFi network and then of of either the Play-fi or Klipsch Stream apps said I needed to install a couple software updates, then after those updates installed, it said I needed to update the firmware on The Three.

Does the Play-fi or Klipsch Stream app see your The Three regardless of Alexa?

You definitely need to have the Play-fi Alexa skill enabled on the Echo.

https://www.amazon.com/phorus-Play-Fi/dp/B077VZ8QXT

Then in either the Play-fi or Klipsch Stream app, you need to go into the Settings menu and choose the Amazon Alexa menu item, which if I remember right asks you to link your Amazon account to the Play-fi cloud. I don't remember the exact steps, but at some point it asked me for a name (room name) for my speaker.

You should then be able to say things like "Alexa, play [artist name / radio station name / etc.] in [room name]" or "Alexa, turn [up/down] volume in [room name]".

If you log into https://alexa.amazon.com/ it should show your The Three as a smart home device under the name you gave it. Also from the home page of the Alexa site, you should be able to see how Alexa is interpreting the commands you say to it, which may help you figure out what Alexa is trying to do.

The only issue I'm having is that I was trying to create a group ("Upstairs") that includes both my Echo and The Three, hoping I could play multi-room audio on both at the same time, but so far, Alexa will let me create the group, but it gives me some response about the group not being available "yet" if I try to play music to it. It's unclear to me from reading the Play-fi website, if possibly multi-room via Alexa is not available as a feature yet?

Edited by CraigG
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, CraigG said:

I set up a The Three with Alexa this weekend, and it "works". When I first ran the Klipsch Stream app, it set up The Three on my WiFi network and then of of either the Play-fi or Klipsch Stream apps said I needed to install a couple software updates, then after those updates installed, it said I needed to update the firmware on The Three.

Then in either the Play-fi or Klipsch Stream app, you need to go into the Settings menu and choose the Amazon Alexa menu item, which if I remember right asks you to link your Amazon account to the Play-fi cloud. I don't remember the exact steps, but at some point it asked me for a name (room name) for my speaker.

You should then be able to say things like "Alexa, play [artist name / radio station name / etc.] in [room name]" or "Alexa, turn [up/down] volume in [room name]".

If you log into https://alexa.amazon.com/ it should show your The Three as a smart home device under the name you gave it. Also from the home page of the Alexa site, you should be able to see how Alexa is interpreting the commands you say to it, which may help you figure out what Alexa is trying to do.

The only issue I'm having is that I was trying to create a group ("Upstairs") that includes both my Echo and The Three, hoping I could play multi-room audio on both at the same time, but so far, Alexa will let me create the group, but it gives me some response about the group not being available "yet" if I try to play music to it. It's unclear to me from reading the Play-fi website, if possibly multi-room via Alexa is not available as a feature yet?

Great response, hopefully that will help some of the previous people who posted.

As to your questions about Alexa being a multiroom feature yet, I'm afraid I won't be of much help.

I did want to mention that  

there really isn't any Klipsch Representatives on here on a regular basis, except the Forum Administrator who handles website/forum related issues.

The Moderators are all volunteers/Klipsch fans and not part of the company. 

The Forum is a place they created for Klipsch fans and they help each other out on issues they know about and your response was very much in keeping with that tradition. 

Here are a couple of options that I can think of right off hand, I appologize if you have already tried.

You can always open up a "Warranty Ticket" which covers presale and "General Inquiry" questions

http://support.klipschgroupinc.com/open.php

I noticed on products like The Three the Klipsch site has indicated to be sure to register your product so that you receive notice of all firmware updates.

CUSTOMER SUPPORT

Klipsch Online Order Support 
For assistance with orders placed on Klipsch.com (United States only):  
Call 1-888-250-8561 or submit your request.

Klipsch Product Technical and Warranty Support
Click here for our Warranty page.
Click here for our Online Support System to find help with your Klipsch product or to submit a warranty claim

I hope one of these helps.

Travis 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2018 at 2:08 AM, CraigG said:

Hi CraigG,

Thanks for the help, from your message i was able to see that the Play-fi Alexa skill is simply not in the Australian Alexa store.

I switch my account to US and everything works!

Now, to see if i can get the skill ported to AU store.

• Like 1