Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Official Thread

wvu80

They've has Star Wars on TV for the last week.

I know many of you like it.

I find it so boring and corny I can't watch a whole episode.

Now that Disney owns it--I'll be expect Miley to come by on a Wrecking Ball.

I hope it really is The Last Jedi.

46 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

In 1977 Star Wars, a fictitious movie, was one of the events that changed the morale of a nation. -JJK

Agree, and I would add:

Great movies always have great music.  John Williams was already well known at the time he did the Star Wars score but he really knocked it out of the park with great, iconic music.  Who doesn't recognize Main Title, Princess Lei's Theme, Cantina, Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme) and many more?

By 1978 every high school and college marching band in the country was playing Star Wars.  It was more than a western space movie, or a buddy's on-the-road movie like Wizard of Oz.

It was a cultural phenomenon that swept the country with special effects that changed movie making forever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Really, is that what happened?  That's pretty sad and juvenile.

At roughly that time (early seventies) the Vietnam war ended, the oil cartel was bleeding us dry, interest rates were 18% to buy a house, and other stuff so people were in a constantly foul mood.

JJK

• Like 1

What I remember when Star Wars came out was that of simpler days. Our movie theater was about 4 or 5 miles away. My friends and I, in the suburbs by Detroit,  hopped on our little banana bike 5 speeds and rode to the theater, where there were about 500 other bikes parked.  Hey Mom, taking my bike to the movies with some friends, see you later   We added ours to the pile, locked them up with our cheap combination locks and headed in to be blown away by that first movie. Fun times. For me, they are all hard to watch now. 

• Like 1

I fondly remember the first Star Wars, it was a terrific movie. It was a game changing movie for a 13 year old. The next two were very good also. Three movies over a 6 year period, had a good flow, and seemed to take off where the last one ended. But the 16 year wait for the next one lost me. The was a prequel, a sequel, and they seemed to jump around in time. I watched the first three, but haven't seen any of the newer ones. I felt like I probably wouldn't understand the flow.

Definitely!  I'm looking forward to it for its nostalgia factor.  The passage of time with the main actors is the hook for me as I was a kid of 6-7 when A New Hope was released and sadly, this film will weigh heavier with the passing of Carrie Fisher.  Though I've long understood the films needing to appeal to mass audiences, Lucas' heavy hand with the childish, dumb *** creatures and unnecessary remakes turned me off.  Although not in the SW official rota, Rogue One was darker and better because of it imo but to each their own.

I hope they redeem themselves and finish the last two in style to provide a satisfying closure to those of us that grew up with IV, V & XI so I can 'let go'... <_<

16 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I will put that on my list...thanks.

Make sure you watch until the very end... the payoff is amazing. Also, it's a stand alone movie story and not part of the other/main star wars universe... well, for the most part anyway.

What happens in Rogue One has a significant impact on the "new hope" series.

28 minutes ago, Schu said:

Make sure you watch until the very end... the payoff is amazing. Also, it's a stand alone movie story and not part of the other/main star wars universe... well, for the most part anyway.

What happens in Rogue One has a significant impact on the "new hope" series.

I think that's what scared me off from the series years ago. I was afraid if I missed one I would be completely lost, plus it seemed like they jumped around some. I lost the flow after the first three.