Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Official Thread

wvu80

• Moderators
On 10/10/2017 at 8:20 AM, JJkizak said:

In 1977 Star Wars, a fictitious movie, was one of the events that changed the morale of a nation.

JJK

Really?  Was morale down and went up?

I would have thought it would have been Smokey and the Bandit or Saturday Night Fever.

I thought Close Encounters was a better movie than Star Wars, but Starn Wars obviously had much wider appeal. 

• 1 month later...

Remember that Aniken fellow - the one who was supposed to bring balance to The Force? He had no father - and neither does Rey.

Like Vader, Rey will be pulled to the Dark Side.

Kylo Ren will betray Snoke. 

There is more, but I don't want to spoil it for you. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Deang said:

There is more, but I don't want to spoil it for you. 

Are you following the many Youtube vids on Star Wars theories?  If so, cool.

I do and a lot of those guys have a different theory every week about who Rey's father is, or even if she has a father.  I think she does.

I've listened to a few of those Star Wars audio books and Snoke is very close to the Darth Plagueis character but Disney is not obligated to follow the story line of the books.  I think Snoke is an original character and will have his own back story different from Darth Plagueis.

The biggest question to me right now is, what will be the Big Reveal?  What will be the big plot twist nobody yet knows?  Will Kylo go light side?  Will Rey turn dark?  Is Luke now a grey Jedi, and will he die?

It will be hard for this movie to improve on the "I am your father" line from The Empire Strikes Back.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

So would the first 3 movies be the best so far ? How many are there.

I have to admit of all the star wars movies, I have seen maby 5 minutes total and it looked like some kind of race. So if I decide to watch any of these where is a good place to start considering I probably would not watch them all, the beginning ?

1 hour ago, dtel said:

So would the first 3 movies be the best so far ? How many are there.

I have to admit of all the star wars movies, I have seen maby 5 minutes total and it looked like some kind of race. So if I decide to watch any of these where is a good place to start considering I probably would not watch them all, the beginning ?

Star Wars had a big impact on me because I was in college in 1977 when the very first movie came out.  It is now re-branded as #4 in the series.  John Williams music was fantastic and I was in marching band so naturally we played it.

I would suggest you watch the very last movie that came out, Star Wars 7 The Force Awakens in BD.  Star Wars 8 the Last Jedi is the one coming out in a couple of weeks.  The Force Awakens plot is good, special effects are cool and it has some great music.

• Moderators

Thanks, I was looking for a 4K movie to try out a new player, if nothing else Br would be fine. From what I remember seeing of that little of one movie, the multi channel sound should be great with some of the new disc formats. Thanks

On 12/6/2017 at 11:04 PM, dtel said:

Thanks, I was looking for a 4K movie to try out a new player, if nothing else Br would be fine.

At first I couldn't figure out what "Br" was.  You are referring to "BD" which is the abbreviation for Blu-ray Disc.  I don't blame you for not knowing the exact alphabet soup letters because the "standards" are changing all the time.

Blu-ray or Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a digital optical disc data storage format. It was designed to supersede the DVD format, in that it is capable of storing hours of video in high-definition (HDTV 720p and 1080p) and ultra high-definition resolution (2160p).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Beyond_Blu-ray_Disc

The latest and greatest medium is now UltraHD TV which is supposed to support the 4K and 8K formats.  It drives me crazy because we went through this with Beta Max and VHS.

Ultra-high-definition television (also known as Ultra HD television, Ultra HD, UHDTV, UHD and Super Hi-Vision) today includes 4K UHD and 8K UHD, which are two digital video formats that were first proposed by ...(snip!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high-definition_television

I don't know what format The Last Jedi will be using.  I'm guessing it will be a lessor format, then in a couple of years you will have to buy the "Premium UHD" format for use with your 8K video player.  It's all a big money making racket.

***SPOILERS BELOW...SPOILERS BELOW***  Scroll down at your own risk!

Surprised to see force ghost Yoda.  Also surprised they went back to puppet Yoda instead of animated.

Very disappointed no identity was given to Snoke.  Fairly anti-climactic demise for him as well.

Rey's parents are...no one of consequence??

I thought there was too much hamming around for what was advertised as a serious Star Wars movie.

Of course I will buy it on Blu-ray when it comes out since it is Star Wars, after all.

A very good movie.

Rey has no "parents". She is Force Chosen, just like Aniken was -- to bring balance.

Strong connection between Rey and Kylo -- this is interesting -- since they are not brother and sister ... but ...

... Padme had a sister ...

and Driver messed up in an interview by referring to Rey as "a princess".

Who cares .. it's just plain fun ... it's "Star Wars" -- a Skywalker Family Story.

• Moderators

Help me please.  I saw first three, in order, in order, when originally released, in Bay Area Century Theaters in California, in 70 MM set up with sound systems that were the "laboratory" for what would eventually become Lucas Sound.

Then I saw Rogue 1 this year.

How many official films are there?  What is the relative time frame of these?  Rogue 1 had an older Princess, and an old Luke, so obviously this is well after the " original" three(?).  Did the do prequels?  

4 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Then I saw Rogue 1 this year.

How many official films are there?  What is the relative time frame of these?  Rogue 1 had an older Princess, and an old Luke, so obviously this is well after the " original" three(?).  Did the do prequels?  

9 official films.  Timeline goes

Episodes 1 through 3, then Rogue One, then Episodes 4 through 8.

Rogue 1 didn't have an older Luke or an older princess.  Sure you were watching the right movie?  :ph34r:  Rogue One ended with Darth Vader landing on the rebel ship, right where Episode 4 begins.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

9 official films.  Timeline goes

Episodes 1 through 3, then Rogue One, then Episodes 4 through 8.

Rogue 1 didn't have an older Luke or an older princess.  Sure you were watching the right movie?  :ph34r:  Rogue One ended with Darth Vader landing on the rebel ship, right where Episode 4 begins.

You are right, I totally forgot I saw VII a couple of years ago.

I need a program to follow along.

I zipped right by your spoilers before reading.  FYI there is a Spoiler feature you can insert ^^^.  You guys are lucky I have discipline.  :P

I haven't seen TLJ yet, I'm waiting for my date to decide she has time.  :rolleyes:  Maybe Sunday.

In the meantime I am deliberately avoiding all spoilers, something I've been doing for the last week.  I usually like to know what's going to happen but everything I've seen says "don't watch spoilers" so that is what I'm doing.