slow internet / STREAMING INTERNET TV

wvu80

EDIT:  My internet issue was solved with the addition of a new modem.  My speeds are now 217/21.  Please read on.

The topic expanded to Internet TV such as Sling TV steaming through devices such as Roku.  Look to page 2 to continue that discussion.

+++

I have been fighting my local IP Suddenlink.  I got 50/5 with my previous plan for which I was paying $147.  When I tried to lower my costs (new customers get $79 mo) after complaining and threatening to go to satellite TV at $25 mo they finally lowered the price to $122 and 200/20.

My problem is I can't get those numbers.  I have a Asus RT-56U a Doscis 3, gigabit router.  I have it set to to 5G.  With wireless I could only get 139/12 so I moved the router beside the computer.  

I bypassed the wireless receiver and made a wired connection to the integrated Realtek gigabit adapter.  The Realtek driver is dated 4/6/15.  Still not 200/20.

6696191966.png

The ping is excellent, as good as I've seen it.  But how do I get to 200/20?  

20 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I have been fighting my local IP Suddenlink.  I got 50/5 with my previous plan for which I was paying $147.  When I tried to lower my costs (new customers get $79 mo) after complaining and threatening to go to satellite TV at $25 mo they finally lowered the price to $122 and 200/20.

My problem is I can't get those numbers.  I have a Asus RT-56U a Doscis 3, gigabit router.  I have it set to to 5G.  With wireless I could only get 139/12 so I moved the router beside the computer.  

I bypassed the wireless receiver and made a wired connection to the integrated Realtek gigabit adapter.  The Realtek driver is dated 4/6/15.  Still not 200/20.

6696191966.png

The ping is excellent, as good as I've seen it.  But how do I get to 200/20?  

You likely never will.  There is so much else that affects the speed you will realize, other than the equipment you have installed in your home.  Time of day, traffic on the external network, etc, etc. etc.....Read the fine print on your contract, the speeds they promise means virtually nothing.

11 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Modem

i have 300 down. Wireless avg 70. Wired 300 +. Way lower before I bought new modem.

Modem?  I didn't even consider that.  I have a Motorola Surfboard SB6121.

What do you recommend.

+++

Edit: I just googled my model.

2 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Read the fine print on your contract, the speeds they promise means virtually nothing.

THAT I believe.

I traded in my old set top box for one with HDMI.  It was from 2010.  When I asked for a new one I was told  "everybody gets a used one.  The new ones are expensive."

Grrrr.  :angry:

6 minutes ago, rebuy said:

It's No Bull...I know, I'm not helpful....

LOL!  You have been on QUITE the tear on this thread!  :lol:  I think that's because those companies know we hillbillies are at their mercy.

I looked up what "high speed internet" was for Frontier and it was just what I expected.  And of course The first year is $20, the second year goes to $35.  Not that it matters.

Frontier.PNG

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I went to SB 6190

I'm not sure how a higher speed modem would help since the one I have is capped at 179 and I haven't been able to get past 140.  Walmart has those $2 cheaper than Amazon.   Hmmm.

I just told my wife we need some bread.  Walmart sells those, uhh, I mean sells bread.

Be back in an hour.  Thanks gents.  B)

• Like 1