slow internet / STREAMING INTERNET TV

wvu80

5 hours ago, USNRET said:

The voice search / commands works great

Mine quit working for some reason.

I've got the Shield as well, got it last year.  Its all the wife and kids use, I think  for what it does out of the box is great.  A little more pricey compared to the Roku, one would have to decide what they  intend to do with it.

5 hours ago, USNRET said:

8 TB NAS

What OS are you using?

22 minutes ago, The Dude said:
1 hour ago, JJkizak said:

OTA 3.0 new tuners will be going to 4K I believe.

JJK

Would this mean one would need a device that can stream 4k?  Or just that there will be more options.

This confused me a bit.  OTA is Over The Air, so there should not be any streaming, just live TV.

FYI I live in the hills of West Virginia.  In the best of times I've only been able to get 3 channels OTA and two of them were PBS.

+++

Edit:  I've been looking at the Tablo link directly upstream ^^^.  Keep that research and discussion going as I am in full blown self-education/research mode.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

This confused me a bit.  OTA is Over The Air, so there should not be any streaming, just live TV.

FYI I live in the hills of West Virginia.  In the best of times I've only been able to get 3 channels OTA and two of them were PBS.

This should tell you why or how you can do better

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

This should tell you why or how you can do better

It showed what I already knew, three channels available with the regular TV antennae.  I added a 25 tower to the search; no difference.  

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Mine quit working for some reason.

I've got the Shield as well, got it last year.  Its all the wife and kids use, I think  for what it does out of the box is great.  A little more pricey compared to the Roku, one would have to decide what they  intend to do with it.

What OS are you using?

Whatever is in this thing

17 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

You guys are pretty smart.  Me ... i turned on the amp, grabbed a guitar and couldn’t figure out why i wasn’t getting any sound. fiddled with every knob on the amp and the guitar before i realized that i hadn’t plugged in the guitar.  Yeah, i could hang in your guy’s world.

I had somewhat of the same problem.  Thought something was wrong with my bass amp.  Eventually the battery fell out of the back of the bass (duct tape was the cover) and I realized that when I had EMGs installed, they were active.  I replaced the battery and things worked fine.

• Like 1

I have been exploring Sling 7-day trial all afternoon.  I got nearly every package, excluding Spanish, Kids.  So far I am not impressed. 

It is dozens of channels with shows I would never watch, like the 700 Club.  There are a lot of movies, either older ones I've already seen or movies I've never heard of.  HBO preview was limited, a lot of series like Sopranos or South Park did not offer every episode, only a few episodes within a certain season.  I can't find Fox News but I'm still looking.

What I watch mostly is sports.  I thought the package had the NFL Network but I can't it either.  I'll keep exploring and report back.

6 hours ago, USNRET said:

I needed to read the small print:  Fox (in selected markets)  I'm thinking now I might be able to go directly to the on-line website and by-pass the need to have it on Sling.

I also can't get NBC, CBS or  ABC which air a LOT of college football.  Same deal, "in selected markets."  Apparently I am not in any selected market.  I need those also or it might be a dealbreaker.

I've been watching the streaming channels on my PC.  It takes some getting used to but I can watch multiple channels.  I watched the baseball playoffs, it wasn't bad either.  My perception is that it is lower quality than 1080p, so a little fuzzy and there was some lag in an HBO movie Wolverine.  Sound was adequate, nothing more but I was not using my best equipment so there is more to be explored.

Right now I'm undecided, cautiously optimistic.

you know, my television has been on for hours and i’ve barely looked at it. This happens all the time, I grab my laptop and start watching You Tube videos and forget about the television. I love watching interviews (mostly musicians) and i watch a ton of concert footage.  Better than television ... so why did i pay time warner and now Direct TV so much money?

• Like 1

I just ditched Direct Tv and bought a refurbed Amazon Firestick for $35 and downloaded Kodi and get all the sports and tv live and on demand for free. I still need to tweak it a bit, but, so far am liking it. I can get all the Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu series free too. I tried Playstation Vue, and Hulu Live for the free trials and cancelled. I get my locals OTA and stream everything else. 

Well, my trick new modem just blew up. I now  have to get my Internet through the smart phone. Suddenlink was very helpful, they said they could have a technician out first thing 10 days from now. 

Edit:  Turns out the modem was fine, the tech did get here and replaced the wiring from the pole to the modem.  That instantly fixed my problem.  There was water in the wire outside and it oxidized the wire.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, omar4 said:

I just ditched Direct Tv and bought a refurbed Amazon Firestick for $35 and downloaded Kodi and get all the sports and tv live and on demand for free. I still need to tweak it a bit, but, so far am liking it. I can get all the Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu series free too. I tried Playstation Vue, and Hulu Live for the free trials and cancelled. I get my locals OTA and stream everything else. 

What is Kodi? And can you get the  networks NBC ABC CBS and Fox. When I tried to get them through sling TV apparently I’m not in the correct region to be able to receive those.