slow internet / STREAMING INTERNET TV

wvu80

The Arris  surfboard 6190 used to be Motorola surfboard. The model I have is the number one selling model on Amazon . It was working just fine an hour ago as I was trying to watch two Livestreams at the same time and then it just quit working. I could take it back to Wally world exchange it. I just need to tell my wife I need another loaf of bread. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Well the toilet went crazy yesterday afternoon

the plumber he said never flush a tampoon

This great information cost me half a week's pay

and the toilet blew up later on the next day ee ayeeyay

Sorry to hear - but a crazy toilet in a thread for slow Internet has got to be thread "crapping" at its best -!

6 minutes ago, rebuy said:

The #1 seller on E-Bay? There's the problem, E-Bay.

I meant to say on Amazon, not eBay. LOL

I think I’m going to box this thing up and go Get another loaf of bread At walmart. 

8 minutes ago, richieb said:

Sorry to hear - but a crazy toilet in a thread for slow Internet has got to be thread "crapping" at its best -!

Sort of, except it is Zappa lyrics from a song called Flakes, which is a general indictment on shoddy quality.  Do I have to explain everything these days?

Just now, oldtimer said:

Sort of, except it is Zappa lyrics from a song called Flakes, which is a general indictment on shoddy quality.  Do I have to explain everything these days?

Not being a Zappa affecianado, yes. And you being a deep thinker, me shallow, yes again. Thanks for the explanation.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2017 at 10:27 PM, USNRET said:

I have been using Linksys FOREVER and have the newest. Seriously thinking going...

I've had Motorola Surfboards forever and never had a problem.  Until now.

Edit:  The modem is fine.  In fact, it's really fast.

I just had Suddenlink provision the OLD Surfboard modem and it works perfectly.  Looks like the brand new Surfboard 6190 crapped out.

My instinct is to swap out the dead one for a new one as there were 2 more at Walmart but I don't have to deal with that until tomorrow.  

I'll take a look at what you linked to Michael.  Thanks.

On 10/12/2017 at 11:43 PM, rebuy said:

You have a SL office right there in P'burg--why not take your old

modem in and exchange it for a new one?

SL does furnish a modem.

I don't like renting my modem.  I'd rather buy it, it pays for itself in 10 months.

+++

When I got my prices knocked down 3 days ago I wanted a new set top box with HDMI, the old one was analog with RCA only.  When I took the old box in they gave me a "new" one.  One that was 7 years old manufactured in 2010, it was used, and it was filthy.  I asked for a new one and the helpful woman told me "everyone gets a used box because the new ones are expensive."  When I got home I found the same one on Ebay for $75.  I get their message to me as a customer.  Not good.

It had no remote, no cable, no manual.  She just yelled into the back to someone asking if she could "borrow" their box and someone came out and handed it to me.  It was dirty and had dust where the HDMI cable attached.

Edit:  No wonder they gave me a new box, I just saw my bill and they are charging me $10 a month for it.  They didn't tell me there was an additional charge.  I would estimate only about a dozen channels out of 99 are HD.

That's why I'm looking for alternatives to Suddenlink TV.  Their internet is the only game in town but I'm not giving them a dime more than I have to.

On 10/12/2017 at 7:30 PM, wvu80 said:

What is Kodi? And can you get the  networks NBC ABC CBS and Fox. When I tried to get them through sling TV apparently I’m not in the correct region to be able to receive those. 

I just google how to Jailbreak an Amazon Firestick and it said to download KODI. You have pretty much ANY channel you want. Some are live, and some are on demand. I'm watching live golf right now on the Golf Channel and will be watching whatever college and NFL games I want live over the weekend. I'm only in my 2nd week of having this. It is a bit cumbersome to find exactly what I want at times, but, for free I'm not complaining. Yes, you can get the networks live too. Probably won't be local that's why I got an antenna. You can watch any new tv show from the Networks on demand right after they air live. Worth looking into IMO 

P S I was paying Direct TV $120 a month plus $55 for internet. Now I pay for internet only

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, omar4 said:

google how to Jailbreak an Amazon Firestick and it said to download KODI.

P S I was paying Direct TV $120 a month plus $55 for internet. Now I pay for internet only

I only gave one "Like" because I couldn't give you ten!  

So your suggestion is for me to buy the Amazon Firestick, and skip Sling TV altogether?  That's what I want to do is skip the many services and go internet only.

Do any of the new Smart TV's support such features?  I get internet to my dumb TV via a Sony BD player which has Youtube.  The other apps are limited or subscriptions.

Yes, skip Sling. My brother had Sling and cancelled and went with HULU Live. I tried the free trial of hulu live and didn't like it too much. My tv is a Panasonic Plasma from I think 2010, and I had a wi-fi dongle for the Smart features. I plugged the fire stick into an HDMI on the tv and set up my modem and watched a YouTube video to set it up. I'm going to cancel Netflix too, cuz I can get most or all of their exclusive series. Go for it!! If you don't like it you can get sling or hulu live on the fire stick.

If you're going to drop SL and stream TV--you're gonna need 

great internet and SL is probably the only one in your area

that can provide the speed you need.

In the P'burg area this is a futile effort.

You might as well stick with what you have.

On 10/16/2017 at 1:44 PM, omar4 said:

My brother had Sling and cancelled and went with HULU Live. I tried the free trial of hulu live and didn't like it too much.

I have also tried Hula free trial and didn't like it.  There just weren't any programs or movies that appealed to me.

As I am now paying attention to the exact stations I am watching (I have basic cable 99 channels) I see I am watching 99% college football, pro football and Fox News.  That means the channels I need are NBC, CBS, ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, FOX, and Fox News.

++++++++++++

PROBLEM!

EDIT:  Problem solved!  The problem was my outside wiring which was replaced from the pole to the modem by the tech.

I just bought the Arris SB6190 modem, a Gigabit modem which is giving me my full 200/20 speed, but it goes OUT five times a day!

I have been able to reboot it by unplugging the COAX, then the power cord, but the COAX seems to be the key.

I re-routed and cut out some unused coax TV lines, so I now have:

Line IN to a powered line booster.

Power Booster into 1000 Ghz splitter, OUT to HDTV, and OUT to the Mancave where I have relocated the modem upstairs to make signal strength to the wireless for the house better.

Once the line gets to the Mancave, a 2-way splitter goes to the HDTV and Cable Modem.  From there Cable Modem via CAT5 to the ASUS RT-N56U Gibabit router.  I think my problem is the modem, not the router.

I am suspicious of splitting the signal between the Modem and Mancave TV.  I think something is interfering with the return signal, but that is just a guess.

I did some research and found there are known issues with the SB6190 and jitter, and I did see some other SB models having trouble with staying connected, but not the 6190 model itself.

Ideas?  Suggestions?

17 minutes ago, rebuy said:

If you're going to drop SL and stream TV--you're gonna need great internet and SL is probably the only one in your area that can provide the speed you need.

In the P'burg area this is a futile effort.

You might as well stick with what you have.

The speeds for Suddenlink in Parkersburg have changed lately.  200/20 Mbs is the minimum you can get with a 350 GB per month limit, and for $10 more per month I can get 400/40 with no monthly limit.  My average use per month is about 50 GB of data.

This is plenty of speed and plenty of data for me.  As I mentioned just after you posted, I am having troubles with modem reliability right now.  If I am going to cut the TV cord the internet connection has got to be more reliable.  The only OTA channel I can get is NBC.

While playing with Sling I was able to run a live NFL game, a live baseball playoff, watch an on-demand movie and a live TV news show all on my dual monitor setup in their own windows with NO performance issues.

My bill for both still comes out to $130 per month.  I think changing to  internet only and a subscription service I can cut that in half.

To those who are using (insert brand) Streamer with Kodi and streaming all those  things for free....are you using a Proxy server or just taking the chance that your ISP isn't going to check on what you're streaming?  (I'm the network administrator for our city and just curious what others do)