Standalone DAC necessary?

haydukej

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Doppler effect would not occur in electronics, but in a woofer section that crosses too high and is not high passed. Noise/sync. issues you mention are still below 120 db in 32-bit systems (assuming that a rock solid power supply is used). Even the best recordings contain, at most, a 30 db crest factor, which is more challenging to power amplifiers and speakers and NOT electronics.

As to your "for better for worse" comment, it underscores my original point perfectly.

Totally agree as stated in my last line. 

My use of doppler effect is basically timing problems which could introduce noise or timbre issues.  Not in the specific mapping to cone movement but is  shifts due to timing which are the same effect as moving / timing of signals.  Who knows what issues are introduced due to the timing so not to discount any.  Our ears will be the final arbiters.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Schu said:

doppler effect, lol.  Come on now.

The manifestation of jitter is a more granulated imaging or distortions, usually in the higher registers.

Bad term yes (when you are on a speaker forum), timbre changes, very possibly.  As you say distortions.

Sorry for the bad term doppler :o but does anyone know what the error correction and dithering/reconstruction will do to the sound?

Funny but I did go out and look at some discussion on the management of doppler effect within digital transmission.  Timing appears to sound a lot like jitter.

Jitter exist but, look at processor evolution over the past 40+ years and it is easy to see why this is not deal breaker.  Some effects of jitter are not audible and others are kept to a bare minimum.  Consider some BD for a movie, there is way more info passing thru the DAC compared to music.  How much jitter do you notice in a movie?

23 hours ago, haydukej said:

... I would conclude that with my current set up, a standalone DAC is not necessary nor would likely add any discernible benefits. Hopefully this thread will be helpful to others.

I am plagued with champagne tastes with a craft beer budget...

None of this stuff is "necessary."  However, testing on my own setup with the HDMI to analogue splitter I was pleasantly surprised how good it sounded... better than the average DAC (I've had many) but it does not compete with a really good DAC that gets beyond budget really fast.   Get your room right, your seat and your (highly resolving) speakers  placed right then you will likely hear the difference.  I say it a lot but spend your money on your room before you go crazy with spending money on equipment and then I'd argue we should start with our speakers and source.  We can talk jargon all day but in the end it's about what I hear.  If anyone can't hear the difference or it seems too small to care then I'd say good for them... they saved some money.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, muel said:

None of this stuff is "necessary."  However, testing on my own setup with the HDMI to analogue splitter I was pleasantly surprised how good it sounded... better than the average DAC (I've had many) but it does not compete with a really good DAC that gets beyond budget really fast.   Get your room right, your seat and your (highly resolving) speakers  placed right then you will likely hear the difference.  I say it a lot but spend your money on your room before you go crazy with spending money on equipment and then I'd argue we should start with our speakers and source.  We can talk jargon all day but in the end it's about what I hear.  If anyone can't hear the difference or it seems too small to care then I'd say good for them... they saved some money.

You've got the correct approach and have the right term to use if you want to hear major differences in dacs, "highly resolving".  The little cubes aren't going to cut it.