Max Volume!

Jeff Matthews

@gottajam The pumpkins were fantastic back then. That Mellon Collie concert in Orlando got moved because a giant named Shaquille put the Magic through the playoffs that year. A small arena in Lakeland, halfway to the gulf was where they played that gig. When a rock band that's set up for large places plays a small one I LOVE IT!! Usually more than enough clean volume!

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:15 AM, JohnJ said:

@gottajam The pumpkins were fantastic back then. That Mellon Collie concert in Orlando got moved because a giant named Shaquille put the Magic through the playoffs that year. A small arena in Lakeland, halfway to the gulf was where they played that gig. When a rock band that's set up for large places plays a small one I LOVE IT!! Usually more than enough clean volume!

I seen them around 2010 in a smaller venue in Spokane. Usually most bands would have two tour buses, the Smashing Pumpkins had around five buses...my buddy and I were wondering how they were going to get all that gear in there...

The stage lighting was intense! The back wall was rows of white stage lighting, white revolving daisy flower thingies with stage lights in them, and rows of stage lights along each side of the front of the stage.

They would kick on all the white stage lights at once, and the temperature would jump about 5-10 degrees instantly.

An excellent show!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I was a huge Gary RIchrath fan. First heard him back in 1978 and was hooked ... well, until the lead singer took over the band and their music really suffered.

I saw a few minutes of REO downtown at Speedfest waiting for the CDB later on (they're always late, every time I've gone to see them).

Knew they went top40 when the tune a fish lp  came out but wow, I walked away in less than five minutes it was so awful. Must have been ten or twelve years ago.

Saw REO in the late 70s the last time the year before the live album came out. They were a great rock-n-roll band. "You Get What You Play For" sounded just like the concert we had been to the year before..

arrgggghhhhhh! My lp's not there, there's another I've GOT TO replace, don't recall if Apollo ate it or it "walked". 

New cart came in, amazon sent the wrong battery for my tracking force gauge. Finish the setup in the morning when I can open the curtains and get good light. Darn led bulbs made the power bill less but they are dim compared to the old 60w bulbs.

6 hours ago, mike stehr said:

I seen them around 2010 in a smaller venue in Spokane. Usually most bands would have two tour buses, the Smashing Pumpkins had around five buses...my buddy and I were wondering how they were going to get all that gear in there...

The stage lighting was intense! The back wall was rows of white stage lighting, white revolving daisy flower thingies with stage lights in them, and rows of stage lights along each side of the front of the stage.

They would kick on all the white stage lights at once, and the temperature would jump about 5-10 degrees instantly.

An excellent show!

They have played up in Asheville a lot the past decade three night stands somewhere up there. Been here too since, hadn't budgeted for shows in a long time though, things are different now with my wallet. (30yr stereo refurb did some damage) House before that, car the year before on and on......

9 hours ago, oldtimer said:

It was the shrooms.  Have you ever heard more juvenile lyrics from a rock band?   Heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend.....gag.

True, but I was about 14, there is musical content to their 70s stuff back when they rocked! 

@ccdowenye aaawooooo? all you'd need for a show like that would be the moon in the sky, or maybe a spider hanging from the bill of your cap. :D

11 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

I haven't even seen a Who Song or a Blue Cheer song yet, two of loudest bands of all time.

^^^ this.  saw The Who once, must have been about 1980, +/- a year, in Birmingham.  great seats - lower level of the arena there, off the corner of the stage, right in the "path" of the speaker towers.  not on the floor but in the seats in the lower level.  I agree - THE loudest show I've ever been to.  now yes, those seats right in line with the speakers may have had something to do with it, but it's still OK.  no, a lot better than OK  :D

so here's one for you @dwilawyer

• Like 2