OPPO owners fess up...

Quiet_Hollow

How many times per day do you have to reboot your player because the YouTube app (Opera) locks up?

I consistently average about five videos before the advertisements end up crashing everything...rendering a $400 blu-ray player useless until I forcefully reboot. I draw the line at three times if I'm really in the mood to watch something. Lately, I've gotten to the point where if it crashes even once, well then F**k it,  I simply turn it off and do something else. Not exactly good money considering.

Anyone else with similar issues?

Can't say I have this experience but I am using my Samsung SMART TV platform for YouTube.

Maybe give Oppo Digital a call and see if they can diagnose the problem.  Maybe you will have to uninstall a firmware update and reinstall.

Bill

The Oppo BDP-103 has been fairly consistent playing YouTube videos, but the UPnP (remote internet connection) for playing my music tracks from foobar2000 is another story--and it seems to be on the foobar2000 (PC) side locking up the player on the Oppo side.  I don't like the new intrusive (user information sharing) policies by YouTube to keep my remote screen ready to connect from the PC.  That actually bothers me a lot--so I have to manually connect the TV on both the Oppo side and the PC side as a remote screen every time I use it.  Sucks big time.

Additionally, we have spurious issues using the Netflix streaming app on the Oppo - it tends to perform poorly and drops the external feeding connection when we get ducting of our nearest neighbors' 802.11 connection interfering with communications...subject to weather changes, I believe.  Netflix and Amazon streaming on PS3 works much better since the PS3 apps will buffer the entire video locally if given the chance.  I've seen the PS3 continue to play a video for more than 45 minutes after our ATT cable modem loses its connection - and with the highest resolution.  That's really good.

If I used the YouTube app more often on the Oppo, I'd probably find that it does exactly what yours does.  As it is, I use it for a few videos over perhaps an hour or so, then go on to uPnP (music) streaming locally again. 

Chris

Wouldn't you know it. The day after I post this and You Tube updates their player software again....I gather to delineate between their new YouTube "Red" pay-per-view service. Although it crashes less now...we still get the occasional lock up, but at least we can usually exit out of the app without having to reboot the entire player. For now.

I really feel for the people that actually pay for the Red only to be suffering the same woes. Ridiculous.

I can't wait for artificial intelligence to be employed at writing it's own optimized code. Maybe at that point, we'll actually realize just how fast the computers of today really are, instead of the confounded mess most computer-idiots currently program them to be. </rant>

The 203 and 205 also do not have HDCD support.  Virtually my entire Dead collection is HDCD, so I stuck with the 105.  The only time the 105 has locked up on me was interfacing with a PC using TRU RTA audio tools.  If I stopped the stream for some period of time (not sure how log to trigger the issue), like a minute, then restart, the thing locks up.

I've got both my 103's (bedroom and living room) set to query automatically for the latest firmware updates, but I'll try it out manually and see if they discover anything.

Dunno, I don't see how it's possible, but maybe it's my internet connection? One thing is for sure is that it's definitely the loading of the ads causing the problems. I can play a string of videos without commercials all day long, but as soon as the player has to load an advertisement, the unit(s) tend to flake out.

Last resort I suppose would be a Fire Stick/Roku or the like, but it's just one more dongle hanging off my gear.