March Madness NCAA basketball 2017-2018

DizRotus

I'm eager for the upcoming season.  My Spartans are serious Final Four contenders.

The recent FBI probe is a concern.  Brian Bowen is at the center of the controversy at Louisville.  His fellow 5-star recruit, Spartan Jaren Jackson, Jr., was a high school teammate, which puts him in an awkward position.

Izzo says the college coaches in Michigan can sleep well at night, despite the investigation.  I hope he's correct.

Can the Louisville faithful really be surprised that recently fired Rick Pitino has questionable character?  The married man admitted to having sex with a recruit's mother on a restaurant table.  The same man who cheats on his wife wouldn't cheat at recruiting?  Louisville hired him knowing that he's a slug.  

Meanwhile, the rebuilding Spartan football team is ahead of schedule.  Go Green!

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

My WVU Mountaineers were pre-season #11 and got crushed by #25 Texas A&M tonight 88-65.  WVU was never in it, shooting was terrible and when you give up almost 90 points, defense ain't so hot either.

I watched some of that Dave and thought of you.  The good thing about basketball is that a few losses aren’t fatal for a shot at the tournament.

The cliche is that there are no good losses, but I disagree.  IMO, that loss will make WVU a better team, than would a lopsided victory over North Florida, or the like.  Tom Izzo has always subscribed to that philosophy with killer non-conference schedules against the likes of Kentucky and Kansas.  Yesterday’s 98 - 66 thumping of the Osprey, followed by Tuesday’s game against #1 Duke, follows that prescription.  Win or lose, his young players will get some instant seasoning.  Football coaches do not have that luxury.

• Like 1

A Jayhawk fan I am but jeez, that game was painful to watch. Looks like another season of College Hoop Foul Fest. I was switching channels by mid-second half. It was more interesting watching Ken-Dig-It build a 2,000 HP Nova!! Jayhawks or not, pre-season or not, I sometimes wonder how they can be included in top five talk. I watch nearly all their games and wonder how they fit in the top 25 at times. 

• Like 1

Opinion:  The 3 UCLA players just got back from China.  They were released by personal request of Pres Trump to China president Xi Jingping.

The three young men had a press conference where they thanked Pres Trump and expressed regret over their shoplifting.  The team has suspended them "indefinitely."  That means nothing to me.

What is your opinion on the punishment?  Ten games?  The whole season?  Dismissed from the team?

They’re very lucky that they aren’t in jail.  To quote Thomas Aquinas, “Mercy without justice is the mother of dissolution; justice without mercy is cruelty."

Here’s where every prosecutor would hate me and every defense attorney would love me ... yes, they’re old enough to know better; but, young people do stupid stuff. I’m not so quick to derail the young men’s future over something this trivial.  Yes, they embarrassed the university; but, I’m sure it has survived worse.

If China dropped the charges, for what are you now expelling them for?  I’m sure they got the crap scared out of them and hopefully that’s a lesson that they’ll not forget. 

Sounds to me like they may have learnt a valuable lesson and nobody got hurt. win - win.  

For creating an international incident while Pres Trump was in China I think they should be dismissed from the team.  They are very lucky the President intervened personally or they could have been be looking at 10 years in prison.

They will not learn anything unless there are consequences.

Suspended indefinitely is a consequence.  Apologizing on live tv is embarrassing and a consequence.  There is someone in power who will never apologize for anything.  It wasn't just because of one man's intervention that they are not still detained, and it was pretty telling that before a press conference could even be put together that one man was trolling for a thank you.  Some pundits suggest that a season off would be too harsh, I am not so sure.  They could use the time off the team to actually remember that they should be there to get an education, and concentrate on their studies for a semester and a half.  True learning occurs both ways with this.  Plus they will be way more appreciative of the opportunity they have, which many do not obtain.  As I have mentioned as a goal before, universities are not just to be de facto farm clubs for the pros.

• Haha 1