March Madness NCAA basketball 2017-2018

DizRotus

On 3/12/2018 at 7:39 AM, JL Sargent said:

The Auburn Tigers play Friday night at that same venue, San Diego!

yes they do, vs Charleston, with Clemson in same side of the bracket, also with Marshall, Murray St & Wichita St.  JLS - I hear your explanation but still makes no sense to me.

meh.  good luck to all, and Go Tigers!  glad to be in, and hope we don't stink up SD like we did StL.

I heard injuries are a big reason why we play like that.  maybe so, idk.  I'm not smart enough (nor do I care enough to dive that deep) to know if that is true or not.

On 3/12/2018 at 5:20 AM, oldtimer said:

Best of luck to wvu and all the teams we have an interest in.  Let's have a good tournament.

Ted Valentine’s absence will help.  IMO, there’s a problem when everyone knows a ref’s name.  Refs are supposed to disappear as individuals.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Bracket's done.

Speaking of brackets, I need suggestions for attaching KP-201s to the walls or ceiling of a middle school band room.  This would be major thread drift, but, since I’m the OP, I say, drift away.  

I’ll get photos of the available surfaces, which are cinder block, aluminum and/or drywall.  I’ll also post this in detail in a thread dedicated to the project.  That said, any experiences, good or bad, with brackets used to support the approx 50 lbs. of Heresy, HIP, KP-201, or KP-205 are welcomed.

Now back to basketball.

5aa7941dd1b78_Derby8.thumb.jpg.b33c67e04b8fb8b5f733925aef28b033.jpg

6 hours ago, JMON said:

PWK's team made it too!  Now there's a team we can all root for!

I hadn’t thought of that.  Had I done so, Imight have picked the NMSU Aggies to upset Clemson.

PWK would probably also have an interest in Purdue and Stanford, which is playing today in NIT.

NIT?

Clearly, the NCAA tournament includes the best 20 NCAA D1 teams, but it does not reflect the best 68 teams.  Many of the better teams in the NIT would beat the weaker teams in the NCAA, most of which are in by virtue of getting hot and winning the tournament in a second, or third, rate conference.  Texas Southern is an example at 15 - 19.  They would be an early out in the NIT.

I feel a marginal NCAA tournament team is better off winning, or even advancing in, the NIT, than being one and done in the big dance.  What say you?

7 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

NIT?

Clearly, the NCAA tournament includes the best 20 NCAA D1 teams, but it does not reflect the best 68 teams.  Many of the better teams in the NIT would beat the weaker teams in the NCAA, most of which are in by virtue of getting hot and winning the tournament in a second, or third, rate conference.  Texas Southern is an example at 15 - 19.  They would be an early out in the NIT.

I feel a marginal NCAA tournament team is better off winning, or even advancing in, the NIT, than being one and done in the big dance.  What say you?

Would a team be better off financially or morally by winning in the NIT?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davis said:

I hadn’t thought of it in those terms, but probably both.  In terms of extra practice and experience, success in the NIT would, IMO, be more valuable than a first game loss in the NCAA.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, -js- said:

JLS - I hear your explanation but still makes no sense to me.

Auburn's in the Midwest region and WVU is in the East, but they both have first round games at San Diego State. That supports my way of looking at it. :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Davis said:

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I hadn’t thought of it in those terms, but probably both.  In terms of extra practice and experience, success in the NIT would, IMO, be more valuable than a first game loss in the NCAA.

1 hour ago, Davis said:

Possibly everyone except the coach. Coaches contract is typically based on bonus tied to the NCAA tournament.

all of the above. 

• Like 1

One scenario I can envision where an early out in the NCAA Tournament benefits a coach more than an NIT victory would be when a string of NCAA Tournament appearances is at risk.  This year is the 21st consecutive appearance for Izzo.  The embarrassing first game loss to MTSU in 2016 preserved the streak; an NIT Championship would not have done so.

6 hours ago, DizRotus said:

NIT?

Of course you're right, but would you prefer to be one and done in a far-away land, or win the NIT?  Serve in heaven or rule in hel?

The NIT semis and finals are played in Madison Square Garden.  I went with the pep band in 1980 when WVU went there.  We spent our off hours site seeing in NY and went to a Broadway musical.  It's a pretty cool experience.

+++

I watched some NIT last night which featured Notre Dame and Big 12 player Oklahoma State.  I kind of like the 4-quarter format, it makes for more buzzer beater shots.  They also use a three point line further out than NCAA. 

It's good for the fans as the first two rounds are played in the stadium of the higher ranked team.  The downside is students don't get in for free like they do for regular season home games, and the tickets are expensive