March Madness NCAA basketball 2017-2018

DizRotus

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Morally.  It's good to be the King.  :)

'Tis better to win in the NIT than to lose in the NCAA.

Too broad.  Making the NCAA Elite Eight, or better, before "losing" is, IMO, much better than earning the NIT Championship. Anything less than making the Elite Eight is NOT better than an NIT Championship, unless you're preserving an NCAA appearance streak, like Terrible Tom, or Tom Terrific, depending who you are.

5 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Too broad.  Making the NCAA Elite Eight, or better, before "losing" is, IMO, much better than earning the NIT Championship.

Let me narrow it down.  I would prefer to WIN the NIT than to LOSE in the first round of the NCAA.  I think that is a minority opinion, I think most schools would prefer to be chosen to go to the Big Dance.

And I agree with you, if my team could make the Elite 8 or win the NIT, it's Elite 8 all the way.

Speaking personally, my trip with the pep band to the NIT was all expenses paid, and I had a really good time at the NIT in New York.  I got to shoot free throws in MSG.  How cool is that?  B)

• Like 1

Just now, DizRotus said:

Was that when it was a log cabin? :rolleyes:

They put the pep band on the floor and we were there when a couple of players had come onto the floor a couple of hours before the game to shoot on their own, no unis.  I walked onto the floor and asked if I could shoot a couple of free throws, to which our guys said sure.  I shoot about 80% FT but I tanked both shots.

My legs were shaking.  This is friggin' Madison Square Garden! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

They put the pep band on the floor and we were there when a couple of players had come onto the floor a couple of hours before the game to shoot on their own, no unis.  I walked onto the floor and asked if I could shoot a couple of free throws, to which our guys said sure.  I shoot about 80% FT but I tanked both shots.

My legs were shaking.  This is friggin' Madison Square Garden! 

nice.  way to show out Dave!  :lol: I prolly would have done the same.  yeah - MSG.  wow.  would be a very cool trip no doubt.

34 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Let me narrow it down.  I would prefer to WIN the NIT than to LOSE in the first round of the NCAA.  I think that is a minority opinion, I think most schools would prefer to be chosen to go to the Big Dance.

And I agree with you, if my team could make the Elite 8 or win the NIT, it's Elite 8 all the way.

Speaking personally, my trip with the pep band to the NIT was all expenses paid, and I had a really good time at the NIT in New York.  I got to shoot free throws in MSG.  How cool is that?  B)

true - win the NIT or lose 1st round of the real dance?  no question for me - NIT.

now - Elite 8 or win the NIT?  a little more difficult choice but I think I would take the big dance in that case.

the NCAA's currently get the better talent of the 2 tourneys.  I believe to improve your game you have to "play up" - play against talent better than you.  when I have played competitively, and I occasionally do but not recently, I still prefer to play up.  forces me to learn to be a better player, which is what I want.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, -js- said:

the NCAA's currently get the better talent of the 2 tourneys. 

No question.  I also think the NCAA did a good job with the relatively new "first four in" where they pit the lowest ranked conference winners against each other, to play into two #16 seed slots.  All First-four games are played in Dayton.

They also pit a couple of a the next highest teams overall that didn't make the at-large bids to play each other into two of the #11 seed slots.

Who is playing in them this year?

Here is the two-day schedule for the 2018 First Four:

• Tuesday, March 13

(16) LIU Brooklyn vs. (16) Radford, 6:40 p.m. ET

(11) St. Bonaventure vs. (11) UCLA, 9:10 p.m. ET

• Wednesday, March 14

(16) Texas Southern vs. (16) N.C. Central, 6:40 p.m. ET

(11) Syracuse vs. (11) Arizona State, 9:10 p.m. ET

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2018/3/13/17101418/ncaa-tournament-first-four-times-teams-history-march-madness

2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Basketball Heaven has just begun!  Go Sooners!

I'm a Big 12 Homer, so Go Sooners!

Trae Young has been my favorite player all year but he hasn't hit those long threes for months.  He still took over the game offensively to get OK into OT.  Down 2 with 1:27 in OT.

+++

1:03 GREAT block by OK, nothing but ball, called a foul!  RI's 50% FT shooter made both.

:16.  RI's 3's in the clutch just killed OK.  I'm looking forward to seeing Trae Young in the NBA next season.

Kentucky looked bad allowing Davidson to even be close at the end.  I don't do pools but Kentucky would be one of my dark horse teams, along with Tenn.

+++

3 seed Texas Tech does NOT look good against 14 seed SFA.  Is that Austin?  I don't even know who they are.    :huh2:  TT just made a run to come within a point with 10 minutes left.  TT has been behind all game long. 

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

I was wrong about SFA and SDS.

Kentucky struggled, Kansas struggled, Texas Tech almost lost and right now Michigan is trailing #14 Montana 17-12.  I believe overall #1 Virginia has a starter gone for the duration.  Arizona trails Buffalo at the half.

I don't see how anybody, could predict anything, in this year's tourney.

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

3 seed Texas Tech does NOT look good against 14 seed SFA.  Is that Austin?  I don't even know who they are.

It is Stephen F. Austin University, and it is located in Nacogdoches, Texas, which is in the Piney Woods of East Texas.  They are the the SFA Lumberjacks.  It's a somewhat well-known decent university for partiers.  Stephen F. Austin is known as "The Father of Texas" for establishing the first anglo colony in "Texas" (it was Spain/Mexico back then) when his father, Moses Austin, obtained a large Spanish land grant for the purpose of establishing a colony where he would be "empresario."  The people SFA originally brought to settle the area were known as the Old Three Hundred.   The capital of this new colony was San Felipe de Austin, now the town of San Felipe in Austin County.  It is about 50 miles due west of Downtown Houston.  

de_leon_colony.jpg 

There are two teams from Indiana in the tourney. Purdue and Butler, if they both win today they will meet each other in the second round.

The state of  Indiana is only destine to have one team make any progress.

Boiler UP