March Madness NCAA basketball 2017-2018

DizRotus

12 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Duke will go from #2 to 1-2 in conference.

Done.  Sparty solidifies it's #1 ranking.

BTW one-loss #8 Virginia beat North Carolina.  Their one loss was to #6 West Virginia.  I see the Mountaineers going up one place to 5th but climbing the ladder in the top ten is very gradual.

11 hours ago, wvu80 said:

West Virginia lost their first game of the year and has won 14 games in a row, the second longest winning streak in the country.

Dave,

You’re shortchanging your Mountaineers.  They’re tied with MSU At 14 wins in a row.  After losing to Duke in their second game, the Spartans won the next 14 to be 15 - 1.

Well, the Spartans failed their test in Columbus miserably.  Who gets the curse of being #1 now?

It was always likely the Spartans would lose, probably a few times, in the course of the B1G season.  Winning on the road in the B1G is difficult.  I hope this sort of public undressing serves to convince these young men of the need to play their best every game.  

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Well, the Spartans failed their test in Columbus miserably.  Who gets the curse of being #1 now?

I didn't see that score until just now, about 3 hours after the game, I didn't see that coming.  No way the Buckeyes should have been within ten points of MSU.

I agree with you that when a team is ranked #1, there is the pressure and the extra incentive every team you face has of wanting to beat #1.

This and the other losses (most notably Duke) probably moves my Mountaineers into top 4 territory.  I suppose that helps in getting national TV time, but I'm not sure WVU is used to being that close to the top of the mountain.  I think there is much less pressure to chasing #1 rather than be chased.

WVU is in the Big 12 which currently has three teams in the top ten, at least five in the top 25, and most notably, they have Kansas to deal with who has won the last dozen or so Big 12 championships in a row.  WVU will not run the table but they have earned their time at the top.

At least for today.

• Like 1

This is not good.  West Virginia University, national #2?  :o

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

1 Villanova (52) 14-1 1,611
2 West Virginia (12) 14-1 1,559
3 Virginia (1) 14-1 1,438
4 Michigan State 15-2 1,390
5 Purdue 15-2 1,225
5 Wichita State 13-2 1,225
7 Duke 13-2 1,222
8 Texas Tech 14-1 1,174
9 Oklahoma 12-2 1,152
10 Xavier 15-2 1,050

I had the Mountaineers pegged around 4th, not because they deserve it but because all the other top teams lost and dropped down.  They are getting a lot of support from the AP and Coaches for #1.

Obviously I'm a WVU homer and they did start the pre-season at #11, then lost and dropped to about 25th, but I never saw this coming.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

This is not good.  West Virginia University, national #2?  :o

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

1 Villanova (52) 14-1 1,611
2 West Virginia (12) 14-1 1,559
3 Virginia (1) 14-1 1,438
4 Michigan State 15-2 1,390
5 Purdue 15-2 1,225
5 Wichita State 13-2 1,225
7 Duke 13-2 1,222
8 Texas Tech 14-1 1,174
9 Oklahoma 12-2 1,152
10 Xavier 15-2 1,050

I had the Mountaineers pegged around 4th, not because they deserve it but because all the other top teams lost and dropped down.  They are getting a lot of support from the AP and Coaches for #1.

Obviously I'm a WVU homer and they did start the pre-season at #11, then lost and dropped to about 25th, but I never saw this coming.

Given the state of the ranking system, that seems about right.  Just be in the top ten at seeding time.

Purdue 70

Michigan 69

This Spartan was actually rooting for the Wolverines, but to no avail.  It seems the top four B1G teams are MSU, Purdue, Ohio State and Michigan.

Spartans play Rutgers at home tonight.  If they don’t bounce back from the OSU upset with a decisive victory, a potentially “magical”season could be on life support.

Just now, DizRotus said:

Purdue 70

Michigan 69

This Spartan was actually rooting for the Wolverines, but to no avail.  It seems the top four B1G teams are MSU, Purdue, Ohio State and Michigan.

Spartans play Rutgers at home tonight.  If they don’t bounce back from the OSU upset with a decisive victory, a potentially “magical”season could be on life support.

It's still early in the season, another MSU loss isn't good, but there's plenty of time to bounce back. They're an awesome team with a great coach, they should do well. I believe a loss can actually help a team, it can bring them back to reality, make them bounce back.

Why isn't Michigan ranked? Before last night, they were 14-3, 3-1 in the B1G. 

Purdue is playing well.

@DizRotus Michigan showed up and played well in that game, they need to practice free throws though. Wagner is a beast!  State just looked slow, not sure of themselves. I still think they will bounce back, a lot of talent on that team. 

I agree with your Walton statement, even his broadcast partner looked bewildered. Why does he have to get so philosophical?

Dave @wvu80

It was not a good day for our teams.  Your Mountaineers did , and looked, better than my Spartans. At least WVU lost a close one  to a ranked team on the road.  MSU lost to unranked Michigan at home.  

You’d have a hard time persuading me that high rankings don’t give these young athletes a false sense of entitlement.  Sparty is more used to playing with a chip on the shoulder, than a target on the back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DizRotus said:

It was not a good day for our teams.

Alas, you are right.  :(

I am still shocked Michigan could take out Michigan State.  Michigan is well coached and has good athletes but they shouldn't be able to stay with MSU.

WVU had a couple of 10 point leads and couldn't hold it.  The Mountaineers will get Kansas on Monday on ESPN.  That should be a good test of whether or not WVU is for real, or if Kansas will flex their muscles while going for their 14th straight league title.

13 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I'll bet Michigan will be ranked now.

Agreed.

The Wolverines played with grit, the Spartans did not.   Michigan lost a close game to an excellent Purdue team, yet bounced back to play very well on the road.

Sorry WVU - Rock Chalk baby. What a comeback from deep double digits. Huggy can't be happy about this one. Truthfully the way it looked at half I thought KU would be good with a 10 point loss. Man that stud blocking shots was incredible. That is one aggressive team you've got. 

On 1/13/2018 at 6:38 PM, Ceptorman said:

I'll bet Michigan will be ranked now.

Michigan is , IMO, underrated at #23, while Sparty is lucky to still be in top ten at #9.  MSU’s road to a B1G Championship is now problematic, as it would lose the tiebreaker with Ohio State or Michigan. Just getting into the championship game against, presumably, Purdue will be difficult.