March Madness NCAA basketball 2017-2018

DizRotus

Opinion:  The 3 UCLA players just got back from China.  They were released by personal request of Pres Trump to China president Xi Jingping.

The three young men had a press conference where they thanked Pres Trump and expressed regret over their shoplifting.  The team has suspended them "indefinitely."  That means nothing to me.

What is your opinion on the punishment?  Ten games?  The whole season?  Dismissed from the team?

Ah yes, just an early inkling of the power of the pardon...more to come. Should have left them there to rot and build iPhones…

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

They will not learn anything unless there are consequences.

i think regret ... a guilty conscience is the most powerful punishment of all, and it can be the most life-changing too.

The thirst to see others punished is as frightening as the crime itself. 

• Like 2

I would be scared to scratch my behind in a Chinese Hotel room without fear of getting drug out, much less anything else.  As far as the kids go, its not any sweat off their arse.  Kids these days have little remorse or actual embarrassment for anything.    Just them showing their stupidity for being thieves was enough, but no, lets do it in a communist country where no one has any rights.....well that just tells you its a good thing they can shoot hoops.    If they get a season off it wont matter, they will have an extended sheet by then or possibly already be in jail.

The allegations of shop lifting in multiple stores under the circumstances is, IMO, much more serious than doing the same thing in L.A..  The immaturity demonstrated by doing this in a Communist country is huge.  Their actions are an embarrassment to themselves, their families, UCLA and USA.  A year without basketball is not too stiff a penalty.  Permit them to transfer to another school and resume their basketball careers next season.  The consequences of such actions are not solely to punish; they're also intended to send a message to future knuckleheads to, hopefully, deter such arrogant stupidity in the future. 

Ask yourself, what would John Wooden have done?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

The allegations of shop lifting in multiple stores under the circumstances is, IMO, much more serious than doing the same thing in L.A.. 

I agree and that's even taking into account that it would have been a felony here due to the price of what they stole.  Everybody on that team should have been made to watch Midnight Express prior to leaving the States.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Everybody on that team should have been made to watch Midnight Express prior to leaving the States.

with that group, not sure it would have made much difference.  now, had they had been "invited"  ;-) to attend something like a Scared Straight - Live Participation Event - Midnight Express where they lived it for a little while... well, that would have made news headlines for sure but might make a difference

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

The allegations of shop lifting in multiple stores under the circumstances is, IMO, much more serious than doing the same thing in L.A..  The immaturity demonstrated by doing this in a Communist country is huge.  Their actions are an embarrassment to themselves, their families, UCLA and USA.  A year without basketball is not too stiff a penalty.  Permit them to transfer to another school and resume their basketball careers next season.  The consequences of such actions are not solely to punish; they're also intended to send a message to future knuckleheads to, hopefully, deter such arrogant stupidity in the future. 

Ask yourself, what would John Wooden have done?

Don't think these guys would have done this in the US.  Makes you wonder why they thought it would be fun to do in China? Arrogance?

59 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I agree and that's even taking into account that it would have been a felony here due to the price of what they stole.  Everybody on that team should have been made to watch Midnight Express prior to leaving the States.

Great idea.

My Mountaineers squeaked by Morgan State tonight...by 63!  Largest margin of victory in West Virginia history.  They led by 39 at half.

I know big time coaches use early season non-conference foes as televised practice but that seems excessive.  <_<

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

Did Huggins clear the bench? 

He did.  He sub'd early and often.  At one time about 10 minutes into the game he took out all the starters, I think the score was 30-3, something like that.

I'm obviously a WVU homer, but with a 50 point lead in the second half 80-30 even I was looking for something else to watch.

On a personal note, my nephew was a walk-on tight end at Arizona.  He enjoyed the experience and benefitted from the academic support available to footballers.  Nonetheless, he NEVER got into a game.  My wife was yelling at the TV during a late season game for Stoops to substitute.

14 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Did Huggins clear the bench?  It annoys me when coaches fail to let the practice players into games that are no longer in question.

I don't like that either. A friend got a full ride to Indiana. He didn't get to play much, sat the bench. He would say he would rather ride the bench at IU with Bob Knight, that play somewhere else. I do remember a few blowout games and he still hardly got in. Finally after 2 years of riding the pine, he transferred to Ball State and became a starter, I think that made him happy.

• Like 1

My sister dated a guy with a full scholarship to MSU as a tight end.  After his sophomore season, he met with Duffy Daugherty to voice his desire to transfer to a MAC school, where he could play.  Duffy talked him out of it, assuring him he’d get playing time.

He NEVER got in a game.  Before a late season game his senior season, he missed practices that week due to illness.  He never bothered to check the dress list that week, as the protocol dictated, no practice, no dress for game. 

During the game, he and my sister were in the stands, in the players’ seats a couple rows behind the bench, where he heard a coach call his name to go into the game.  It was doubly disappointing.  Not only did he miss his only opportunity to see game action, the coaches hadn’t  noticed he was absent from practice all week.