Audio Racks

J M O N

I'll start with what I have.  These are TV stands I got from Circuit City about 15 years ago.  I think they were made by Gusdorf. I remember I paid about $100 each for them.  They are really great.  They were made for the large and extremely heavy tube televisions.  They have large shelves and can hold a ton of weight.  Each one probably weighs about 50 pounds.   The poles are made of steel and are about three inches in diameter.  There are four shelves and they are made of MDF.  The poles came in silver but I painted them black.  I would love to find a couple more of these as I've ran out of room but of course they don't make them anymore and it would probably be impossible to find them used.  I'd bet some of these eventually were just thrown away.

Picture-063-web.jpg

I have a Bello rack with glass shelves. Smart design with openings in the back for threading cables. Keeps things fairly tidy. I also have the matching TV stand for the BRDP, cable box, remote caddy, etc. No complaints about function or build quality. Sorry can't seem to attach photo from web.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Since the OP revived this thread, I won’t feel stupid posting in it.

I won’t say you have to break the bank with an audio rack, but get this one wrong and you’ll know it right away. Last year I wanted an aesthetic change, so I sold sporsterjoe my beloved Mapleshade Samson and bought a VTI double bay lowboy BL-304. 

It only took a couple of days to figure out the sound had taken a turn for the worse. This rack wasn’t built nearly as well as the Samson and the legs and frame rang like a bell. This manifested as a bright, hollow sound with music.

So I replaced the VTI with a Butcherblock Acoustics Rigid Rack. A lot more money but the sound was back to where I wanted it. This was not subtle.  Below is the rack I bought and am very happy with.

B5F12261-A609-4C23-88D0-FDE0579CDA6F.jpeg

• Like 4

Has anyone purchased the Monprice Monolith XL audio racks?  They seem to be a great value.
39165_06.jpg39165_07.jpg39165_08.jpg

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39165&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkcTIwpu57wIV0tXACh0LZwlSEAAYASAAEgIXxvD_BwE

Yeah, I bought four of them less than a year ago. They're black and reside in the basement for unused gear. They look decent, build quality is pretty good for the price.

They get the job done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I won’t say you have to break the bank with an audio rack, but get this one wrong and you’ll know it right away. Last year I wanted an aesthetic change, so I sold sporsterjoe my beloved Mapleshade Samson and bought a VTI double bay lowboy BL-304. 

It only took a couple of days to figure out the sound had taken a turn for the worse. This rack wasn’t built nearly as well as the Samson and the legs and frame rang like a bell. This manifested as a bright, hollow sound with music.

Thanks for that feedback.  I was also considering VTI (BL404-13) so your comments are helpful.  I'm going to need to get a few of these so want to make sure I make the right choice. 

I want to know why companies build, and people buy, racks which place the equipment so low near the floor that you have to squat down to operate? Inconvenient and bad on the knees, especially since many audiophiles are getting long in the tooth 🙂.

Here's mine. Custom (or California) Woodworks Design, can't remember which. Sadly, they're no longer in business. Modular, with a host of mix and match stackable pieces in various wood finishes. The bottoms have shelves and store books. I'm in the midst of remodeling so I apologize for the mess and disorganization. Keeping it Klipsch related, you can see my Heresy's peeking out from the background, which I'm diligently protecting as I paint the walls!

Stereo Furniture.jpeg

• Like 1

One reason is that if you place that monstrosity between the speakers, you’ll definitely affect imaging. Not to mention it is flimsy and does little to isolate your components. It does make a difference.

I put all components that require frequent attention on the top, and all the rest down lower. Hardly ever have to do anything with those.

Shakey