How to open a RP-280F

stoka

Hy guys

I have a question about the Klipsch RP-280F.

I searched now a lot but didn't found any describe or anything else, how I can open the speaker.

I hope somebody has a n idea, or even better some pictures or description.

Why I wanna open it? So, I have actually the RP-450C as center speaker and its really a great center for movies.

But... when I'm listening multichannel music, I hear a difference between the center and the fronts.

It's simply not the same and I'm very for this equality thing. It's hard to describe, but I simply would prefer the same speakers for LCR.

So the idea is to buy and open a third RP-280F and make a new frontplate for it, to set the horn in the middle and the 2 8" left and right of it.

I have found in the internet some topics about a modification of a RF-7 II as center, so that's what i planed to do with the 280.

• Like 1

thank you all for your fast answers!

And yea, it's like thisgsx said, I can just hear out, that the center is too small for the fronts. But as I said only at music. If I would use my system for 100% HT,

I think there wouldn't be so much a problem and I would let it like it is.

I also thought that the front is just glued.

My idea is (I think it would be the easyest way) just to remove the front panel and make a new one for the other positions. The rest of the cabinet i wanted to let like it is,

so that there is not so much work. I never builded a complete speaker by myself. I would like to, but as I'm living in a normal apartment with family, there is no space for me, for such a

big project. But just to change the frontpanel should work I think.

Do you think, this would work like that?

Just run a third vertical one if possible.  The "custom center out of tower components" has its ups and downs.  Midbass is great but if that design made for a great center in general, they'd just make one like that from the factory, no?  :)  Big woofers spread out pretty far and crossed over pretty high makes for lots of lobing / comb filtering issues.  

• Like 1

That would be of course the best option, but as it's in my living room, there is no chance with the space...

I have actually a lowboard with the center on it and the tv above. So there is no way to put a third one vertical in the middle.

Now the first point is a new lowboard. I think when this is finished, i will just look for a used 280F for a good price.

When I find one, I will just buy it and try. If it sounds complettly bad or even worse then with the RP-450C now, then I have at least learned something ;-)

Yea, you will laught, but 3 weeks ago, there were 2 here for around 300 Dollar each, but i went on holidays, and now theyr'e gone...

But maybe i will find also a pair for a good price, where one of them is a little bit demolished or something like this.

I will see, time is not running out at the moment.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Of course. I have hooked it up yesterday and I think it will stay.

The "sound"-difference compared to the RP-450C is not HUGE, but audible, so I've got what I wanted, the est matching center for the RP-280F's.

The biggest difference are the vocals, which are now a bit more voluminous and it just sounds a big "bigger" now.

It's hard to describe. I mean, the 450C is a really great center, but this one makes some thinks just a little bit better and sounds a bit more like "big cinema".

• 3 years later...

@stoka I was so glad to come across your post here. I found a 280f online for $259 and jumped on it for exactly this reason.

How is the center channel treating you now?

I have removed the components and the next step is to get the face of the speaker off… any advice before I pull out the circular saw?