RP 280 v. R7ii

DubPlate

Hey folks:

Other than size of the woofers, horns and cabinet, are there other qualitative differences between the RP 280 and R7ii that would make the R7ii sound substantially better?

For example, are the woofers of the R7ii constructed out of superior materials, or sport different technologies?

Is the crossover of the R7ii superior to that if the RP 280?

I am asking because I own the RP 280s, but have always been curious about the R7iis. Now that the R7ii are on close out, I am super curious!

• Moderators

I have not heard the Reference Premiere speakers yet but if you state what area you are in,  you might be able to find someone here in the forum that has a pair of RF-7ii that would be willing to have you over for a demo.  I have had the chance to have several forum members in my home over the years.  Each one has been a great experience.

I would think a demo of each at the same time with the same equipment would be optimal.  The RF 7 II's are pretty smooth in their own right.  I have not heard the RP line yet.  The biggest difference of the bat is the tweeter size, horn size and the new horn design of the RP line and tractix port.  The least import would be the port since this comes into play near tuning.

There's a BIG difference in tweeter size and design.

The RP uses a dome tweeter and the 7's use a compression driver.

In some ways I think Klipsch cheaped out.

I was shocked to learn about all the tweeters used in pricey Klipsch

instead of compression drivers--I thought that's why you buy Klipsch.

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, rebuy said:

The RP uses a dome tweeter and the 7's use a compression driver.

In some ways I think Klipsch cheaped out.

I was shocked to learn about all the tweeters used in pricey Klipsch

instead of compression drivers--I thought that's why you buy Klipsch.

From Klipsch’s website,

• 1" Linear Travel Suspension Titanium Tweeter
  •  

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure a titanium tweeter is not the same as a soft dome tweeter.  

As another sidenote, Klipsch is known for their use of horn’s and horn loaded drivers, not for the type of tweeters they use.

OK. It is a dome tweeter, do not know it it's considered "soft dome"

but it is a dome.

Yes Klipsch is famous for horns but they don't use domes in Heritage.

When I think Klipsch--I didn't think dome tweeters--at least I didn't before I bought some.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, rebuy said:

OK. It is a dome tweeter, do not know it it's considered "soft dome"

but it is a dome.

I'm not super familiar myself with the various types of tweeters but I did find this.

Tweeter for Reference Premiere - http://reconingspeakers.com/product/klipsch-reference-premiere-tweeter-1060814/#prettyPhoto

Tweeter for RF-7 - http://reconingspeakers.com/product/klipsch-1011223-tweeter-k-701-g-rf-7-sii-rc-64-sii/#prettyPhoto

• Thanks 1

I'm not super familiar myself with the various types of tweeters but I did find this.

Tweeter for Reference Premiere - http://reconingspeakers.com/product/klipsch-reference-premiere-tweeter-1060814/#prettyPhoto

Tweeter for RF-7 - http://reconingspeakers.com/product/klipsch-1011223-tweeter-k-701-g-rf-7-sii-rc-64-sii/#prettyPhoto

The 280s have a tweeter, not a horn?

IME rf7s simply sparkle and are the true reference for klipsch

the rp series is terrific but does not match the rf7 at all 

everything on the rf7 is better from what i know....now they are dampening the horn on the rf7 which was the only advantage i know of to the rp series....which is a nice addition.  

have not heard them please share your thoughts!

I don’t have a lot of experience with well built speakers. The 280s have definitely changed that. The dynamics makes classical and vocals feels like the venue is in my living room. Plus the imaging, depending on the source, can be uncanny; the speakers, dispite there size, can really disappear into the music at times. Does it get much better than this? Would you recommend saving for some fortes?

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Grizzog said:

RF-7ii over RP-280. They are worth the price difference at the prices the speakers can be had.

...Forte III over both of them by a large margin though.

Do you have a pair of Forte III?  Quite a few have purchased them, all with great reviews.  Curious how they compare to the Forte II because in my room (very large, open floorplan with no corners to put them in), the bass was thin and the wife doesn't want a sub since I have (4) RSW-15's in the theater room. 

Do you have a pair of Forte III?  Quite a few have purchased them, all with great reviews.  Curious how they compare to the Forte II because in my room (very large, open floorplan with no corners to put them in), the bass was thin and the wife doesn't want a sub since I have (4) RSW-15's in the theater room. 

I do have a pair of forte III. They are absolutely amazing. They don't need to be super close to the wall, but I wouldn't go too much farther than 2 feet away from the wall. They sound better than my Chorus II.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

have not heard them please share your thoughts!

The RF-7II sounds thicker and goes deeper than the 280. A lot more detail too.

The Forte III has MUCH better midrange than either of them. They don't go quite as low as the 7s, but they do everything else better: tighter bass, better midrange, more detail, and 0 fatigue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk