RP 280 v. R7ii

DubPlate

Difference between RF-7ii and RP-280F is all about the tweet.  Basically RP-280F is still just a normal tweeter, and yeah the horn tricks it into acting more like a compression driver but at the end of the day it's still somewhat of a hybrid solution.  RF-7ii is an actual compression driver, the real deal.  Low volume it's actually hard to tell them apart.  High volume, things like glass breaking just isn't the same, RF-7ii is totally in control, very crisp, magical tinkling sounds... RP-280F just isn't quite the same.  It's nice, but still.  Only problem is that the RF-7ii is kinda bright sometimes.  The new RF-7iii is supposed to be more toned down with a ref premier like sound, the best of both worlds.  New horn, new compression driver, new crossover.  Supposed to be smoother, better imaging, less hot spots, not as fatiguing, etc.  

• Like 1

Difference between RF-7ii and RP-280F is all about the tweet.  Basically RP-280F is still just a normal tweeter, and yeah the horn tricks it into acting more like a compression driver but at the end of the day it's still somewhat of a hybrid solution.  RF-7ii is an actual compression driver, the real deal.  Low volume it's actually hard to tell them apart.  High volume, things like glass breaking just isn't the same, RF-7ii is totally in control, very crisp, magical tinkling sounds... RP-280F just isn't quite the same.  It's nice, but still.  Only problem is that the RF-7ii is kinda bright sometimes.  The new RF-7iii is supposed to be more toned down with a ref premier like sound, the best of both worlds.  New horn, new compression driver, new crossover.  Supposed to be smoother, better imaging, less hot spots, not as fatiguing, etc.  

Bright is preferred by some and also good for HT I think. What's your thoughts on the RF7iii fronts being covered with black? Klipsch is covering up the wood grain of their flagship speaker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Sprogk said:

What's your thoughts on the RF7iii fronts being covered with black? Klipsch is covering up the wood grain of their flagship speaker?

It looks really good and makes the current style look outdated once you are used to seeing them.  It was a good move.  That matte black is super nice.  Cherry is especially nice since it breaks up the monotony.  

My experience with the 280s is consistent with your statement. I tend to listen at a low to medium volume because the tweets start to lose there composure as the volume increases. Its not horrible, but noticeable, especially if the source has a lot of high frequency content. The mids though tend to only get better as you crank the volume higher.

Do you thing it would be worthwhile experimenting with some old Fortes (I or IIs)? I see them on eBay sometimes.