Chainsaw Question

tigerwoodKhorns

OK, here is what I have learned. 

1.  A Dremel "410" automotive is the same as a Dremel 395, it just came with different attachments.  I hope that this helps someone. 

2.  Husky rebrands Oregon chains.  They used to put the Husky name om the chains, but now they just put Oregon chains in a husky package. 

3.  Never take your chain to a "professional" to sharpen.  I sharpened two new chains and there is plenty of meat left on them.  My old chains that were sharpened two times before (3 max) are ground down to little nubs.  The person who ran the machine must have had about 2 minutes of training on how to turn the machine on and that is it.     I sharpened them with the Dremel kit and ground down the depth gauges, but after this next weekend of cutting, they are ready for the recycle bin. 

Hopefully this goes well.  14 or 15 trees left and I am done.  I was quoted over $10,000 for this job. 

Update.  If you own a Dremel and a chainsaw, pick up their sharpening kit.  The combo kit is $15 on Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-A679-02-Attachment-Sharpening-Gardening/dp/B003BIFMK6

Once set up, you can sharpen a chain in about 2 minutes.  When you stop seeing big chunks being spit out, jut put the saw in a vice.  Sharpen half the teeth with the Dremel at high speed.  Flip the saw and do the other teeth. 

I did a lot of trees and sharpened three times or so.  Worked great.  Faster to sharpen than change a chain out.

Not to be a safety nanny but I hope you are wearing appropriate safety items....helmet, hearing muffs, chaps...

https://www.labonville.com/W850CKP-Chap-Competitive-Series_p_1288.html

I try to always use my chaps.  Wife once asked me if I'd cut her a wooden "step" from an already fallen cedar tree.

Sure....all I need to do is grab it with back bucket, raise it off ground and make two cuts.  First cut to cut rootball off and second cut to make the disk.

How easy-peasy could this be?  It will take more time to prepare than to make the actual cuts.  Heck, this will be so quick, no sense in putting on any safety gear....

Got things ready, made the cuts and don't you know that as I was finishing the second cut (to make the round), the chain jumped the bar.  It happened to get caught on the chain catcher underneith....  and the chain essentially "slapped" me right across the knee.

Frayed up the jeans a bit and if memory serves me, might have left a bruise....but, because it wasn't rotating, I lucked out and didn't break the skin.

Had it been rotating, it would have sliced my upper knee wide open.

Kind of cemented in the need to be a bit OCD about safety issues.

Much less expensive than a trip to the emergency room!!

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 3:48 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I think that I will try to use the 4 chains that I have and the Dremel for now.  A friend with an 18" Stihl will help. 

The stumps tend to pick up rocks which is not good.  After about 4 or 5 years they rot and can be chipped away with a pick.  Is there a better way or getting rid of the stumps?  I think that a stump grinder will dull quickly but I do not know. 

I found this video that should be renamed "How many dangerous things can you do at once with a chainsaw" 

His method will likely not work here because of the rocks. 

Very impressive, now he can take the saw apart, clean everything and buy a new chain.

Mark

4 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Not to be a safety nanny but I hope you are wearing appropriate safety items....helmet, hearing muffs, chaps...

https://www.labonville.com/W850CKP-Chap-Competitive-Series_p_1288.html

I try to always use my chaps.  Wife once asked me if I'd cut her a wooden "step" from an already fallen cedar tree.

Sure....all I need to do is grab it with back bucket, raise it off ground and make two cuts.  First cut to cut rootball off and second cut to make the disk.

How easy-peasy could this be?  It will take more time to prepare than to make the actual cuts.  Heck, this will be so quick, no sense in putting on any safety gear....

Got things ready, made the cuts and don't you know that as I was finishing the second cut (to make the round), the chain jumped the bar.  It happened to get caught on the chain catcher underneith....  and the chain essentially "slapped" me right across the knee.

Frayed up the jeans a bit and if memory serves me, might have left a bruise....but, because it wasn't rotating, I lucked out and didn't break the skin.

Had it been rotating, it would have sliced my upper knee wide open.

Kind of cemented in the need to be a bit OCD about safety issues.

Much less expensive than a trip to the emergency room!!

Thanks for that info Richard. That could've been much worse. I usually just wear jeans and boots, but now you have me thinking more about the safety end of things.

10 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Thanks for that info Richard. That could've been much worse. I usually just wear jeans and boots, but now you have me thinking more about the safety end of things.

The only time that the chain jumped the bar in my case was when it was excessively loose. Not blaming anyone.

JJK

11 hours ago, JJkizak said:

The only time that the chain jumped the bar in my case was when it was excessively loose. Not blaming anyone

I agree 100%.  I don't recall if it was a new chain that might have stretched a little or, more likely, I simply didn't check.

Since then, I have kind of adopted a chainsaw cleaning ritual.  Today, it doesn't get used as much as it did when we first moved in but the logic is still the same.

Pull it out, slap it on the table and do a general disassemble of it to get the built up crud out of the nooks & crannys.  (I don't break into the cylinder, just pull the chain cover off, pull start and remove the bar)

I try to help my wife's cousin next door who's chain isn't loose....  it's down right scary loose (as in sagging with a gap)  

I got pretty lucky, given how lazy I was.

Heh...  perhaps I got a payback on that saw...  I was in the field cutting & moving some stuff (using backhoe).  Moved my saw "over there" to get it out of way while I used backhoe to do this & that.

Suddenly, I felt as though I'd driven over a big rock....  and don't you know I backed up and rolled the huge rear tire over the little Stihl....  bent the bar in a near 90 degree fashion, smashed the side cases and put the nibs on the bar.  The "center" of the saw was fine but it took me a bit of fixing up to get all the outer pieces replaced.

Now, having learned that lesson, I put the saw in the cab with me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2017 at 6:10 PM, Coytee said:

I was given a Homelite Super XL that had been run over by a bulldozer once. I took it and another one that was locked up from 20 years of hard use and made a single great saw! Still running 3 years later.

On 10/23/2017 at 7:10 PM, Coytee said:

Suddenly, I felt as though I'd driven over a big rock....  and don't you know I backed up and rolled the huge rear tire over the little Stihl....  bent the bar in a near 90 degree fashion, smashed the side cases and put the nibs on the bar.  The "center" of the saw was fine but it took me a bit of fixing up to get all the outer pieces replaced.

My nephew is in the excavation business, has a huge Cat backhoe. His new employee cut a piece of drain pipe, then jumped out of the way so the boss can get a better position with the hoe. He felt a bump and heard a pop, knew right away what happened, his rear tire buried a Stihl cutoff (quickie) a $1200 saw. He turned around and used the hoe to dig out the squashed saw, it fired right up! Just cracked the housing, but it was useable. He fired the guy anyway.