Kidney Stone Free....again

Youthman

6 hours ago, Youthman said:

The doctor is having the stones sent off for analysis and we are also going to do some followup tests to see if we can't figure out what is causing them and more importantly, how to prevent them from coming back.   I certainly do not want to go through this every three years. 

If I have to change my diet, increase my water intake etc....I'm willing.  I'm just glad it's over.

I think they CAN figure out what causes those things these days.  I hope they find the cause.

I play racquetball three times a week three hours at a time so I am thirsty a LOT during and after playing so I drink at least 40 oz of water per session.  Is there a sport you might like that can get you thirsty?  Pickleball is fun and is not hard on you and is very popular these days.  Also I would think in your neck of the woods jogging for 30 minutes would get you nice and thirsty.

At home I drink Kool-aid over ice.  Technically it's a Walmart drink mix at 5 calories a glass.  For some odd reason I like to mix Cherry and Strawberry together, but it tastes good and that helps me to drink water.  It takes a gallon of water and two little mix packets.  There are a bunch of flavors

https://www.walmart.com/browse/food/powdered-drinks-mixes/great-value/976759_976782_1001683/YnJhbmQ6R3JlYXQgVmFsdWUie

34f5d1c7-3873-4c3f-8b60-d93846cb5372_1.5

17 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Technically it's a Walmart drink mix at 5 calories a glass.  For some odd reason I like to mix Cherry and Strawberry together, but it tastes good and that helps me to drink water.

I drink the same stuff.  The only drawback of being so hydrated is that I pee too much during the night.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I drink the same stuff.  The only drawback of being so hydrated is that I pee too much during the night.  

I get similar results without Kool-Aid. Hope you are feeling well.

25 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

I thought Kool-aid was colored sugar water.

JJK

Think that is true. Understand it has been used as a mind control substance for the gullible. Hope all here can avoid as much as possible kidney stones.

Gooday JJK...

6 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Don't know if it's true, but I have heard that people with kidney stones can do some good by drinking lemon-aid all the time.  Citric acid dissolves stones.

Probably true. Have heard gall stones can be helped some or even prevented by drinking cranberry juice. Same for UTI's. Have run into differing opinions.

Thanks!

40 minutes ago, billybob said:

Probably true. Have heard gall stones can be helped some or even prevented by drinking cranberry juice. Same for UTI's. Have run into differing opinions.

Thanks!

FWIW, a close friend has issues with kidney stones.  About a year ago, he began feeling pain and getting clammy sweats.  He suspected a recurrence of kidney stones and started drinking lemon-aid a few times a day for a while (not sure, maybe a month or 2).  No issues since then.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

FWIW, a close friend has issues with kidney stones.  About a year ago, he began feeling pain and getting clammy sweats.  He suspected a recurrence of kidney stones and started drinking lemon-aid a few times a day for a while (not sure, maybe a month or 2).  No issues since then.

Sometimes I wonder about myself and stones. I say what could it hurt to drink it and your friend may well have corrected a recurrence. Info is good imo and thanks!

2 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

So drink water with lemon?

Don't know if that could be preventative. I do know for sure that the 1 liter saline bottle that I've kept and used to drink on the way to LifeLink for my blood work years ago hydrated me better when i squeezed a half a lemon in it.

At the time after being stuck literally thousands of times for that awful few years my veins would roll out of the way of the needles. So the filtered water I drank helped. One day tired of drinking water I flavored it with lemon and it worked way better.

It wasn't lemonade... with sugar and all, it was FL water run through an undersink filter system with fresh lemon juice put in it. Guess something about the citrus does it.

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Uric acid stones?  Cool!  I never knew there were different types.  I am looking at this article.

"Stones smaller than seven millimeters (7 mm) in diameter may pass on their own with time."

7mm?  LMAO!  I don't think so!

7mm? W or L ? That's kinda big, think it depends on the size of your plumbing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, billybob said:

Sometimes I wonder about myself and stones. I say what could it hurt to drink it and your friend may well have corrected a recurrence. Info is good imo and thanks

Guess if you can afford some calorie intake, some raw sugar may take the edge off of the taste to make it more palatable. A type of light lemonade.

Like lemonade in summer but, do not get it very often. Saw a movie on Netflix a moment ago "1922" where their go to drink was lemonade. Real lemonade. Fortunate to have good well water here, that we test from time to time. Have some Rose sweetened lime water for the Bragg's unfiltered vinegar concoction for your health ((ref. CC&C thread) Will attempt to get back into lemon concentrate again. Called for lemon but got the lime that

day was shopping for ingredients. Roger Moore in his book I have here somewhere, during the process of making "Live And Let Die"(1975 spoke of kidney stone ordeal.

Read like no picnic. Happy to live in a time where RF (lithotropsy?) can hope out the situation without major surgery. Certainly, that sounds much preferable.

Edited by author

• Moderators

Conclusions

Lemon and lime juice, both from the fresh fruit and from juice concentrates, provide more citric acid per liter than ready-to-consume grapefruit juice, ready-to-consume orange juice, and orange juice squeezed from the fruit. Ready-to-consume lemonade formulations and those requiring mixing with water contain ≤6 times the citric acid, on an ounce-for-ounce basis, of lemon and lime juice.

@jwc  Pipes, does it surprise you at all that nobody bothered to look at this until 2008?

• Like 1