Kidney Stone Free....again

Youthman

• Moderators

As Dr. JC was saying, it looks like it really varies from individual to individual as to what kind of stone you may be likely to produce, and thus what to do to prevent having a first one, or a second one, really requires the advice of a doctor on a case by case basis, but here are some general guidelines.

Plenty of water, citric acid in diet, avoid cola.  Looks like all of that unsweetened tea, even with fresh squeezed lemon, is bad.  I wonder if all tea is bad?

If over 50 need calcium, and plenty of Vitamin D for body to absorb it.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/5-steps-for-preventing-kidney-stones-201310046721

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tea can hydrate you, I've had an RN tell me so. Fresh before concentrate or boxed or anything store-bought, even though I don't have a lemon tree or tree booger (avacado) tree in my yard anymore. Never had cattle, don't get between me and my porterhouse especially when I've got a steak knife! Refuse to give up red meat except when I die!

Coffee and colas dehydrate @dwilawyer you're on the right track bud!

Nothing can stop `em living and eating right can help to prevent them though.

i used to drink unsweetened tea and enjoyed it.  I also drank a ton of diet coke.  two years ago, developed some heart PVCs. Cardiologist and GP both said that sometimes caffeine can trigger these PVCs.  Planting that seed in my mind was enough to scare me away from caffeine.  Now, i don’t think that was the trigger because for a year, i was drinking root beer. I was driving through a fast food joint and my brother said that Barqs root beer is one of the few that contain caffeine. So, i thought that i’d been a year off of caffeine when i was still drinking it everyday.  I’ve corrected that now and have legitimately been a year caffeine-free.

PVCs hardly noticeable since i moved.  I’m wondering if the stress of my pending retirement and big move was the cause?

I still like lemon water though.

3 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

@jwc  Pipes, does it surprise you at all that nobody bothered to look at this until 2008?

I trained in the 90's.  Everybody continued to be fixated on calcium.

Now we say:

Drink lots of water and a bonus is to add lemon

Low salt diet

Don't eat that much animal protein

Don't snack on nuts

I know.....somebody from Texas is gonna work me over.

:)  

jc

• Moderators
5 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

I remember back late 60s and early 70s...where the medication would

make ..urine turn blue...

Apparently it still does.  Thought I might be turning into Papa Smurf.  LOL

7 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

7mm?  LMAO!  I don't think so!

Both my urologists have said that the largest I can pass is likely a 5mm (which I passed 8 years ago).  He also said my left Ureter is smaller than my right ureter.  Might be why I have had 5 kidney stones in the left kidney and 0 in the right?

Learning to love water.  Just developing new habits so that it will become a lifestyle.  Had a great day today...no pain at all.  Now if I can just continue to injest lots of water daily, add some lemon to the water and drink a lot less coke, I would hope that will help me prevent from having them in the future but they are still going to do a follow up visit and run some more tests (24hr urine sample etc). 

1 minute ago, Youthman said:

Apparently it still does.  Thought I might be turning into Papa Smurf.  LOL

Both my urologists have said that the largest I can pass is likely a 5mm (which I passed 8 years ago).  He also said my left Ureter is smaller than my right ureter.  Might be why I have had 5 kidney stones in the left kidney and 0 in the right?

Learning to love water.  Just developing new habits so that it will become a lifestyle.  Had a great day today...no pain at all.  Now if I can just continue to injest lots of water daily, add some lemon to the water and drink a lot less coke, I would hope that will help me prevent from having them in the future but they are still going to do a follow up visit and run some more tests (24hr urine sample etc). 

do you have to urinate in a strainer..

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jwc said:

I trained in the 90's.  Everybody continued to be fixated on calcium.

Now we say:

Drink lots of water and a bonus is to add lemon

Low salt diet

Don't eat that much animal protein

Don't snack on nuts

I know.....somebody from Texas is gonna work me over.

:)  

jc

No cola, no ice tea?

Just now, Youthman said:

Not this time since they went up my Ureter with a laser, blasted them like the old Atari game Asteroids and removed the pieces.

I'm glad your doing better ! 

imagine if could write your name in

the snow....people would be baffled..

and Frank zappa  would sing don't eat the blue snow...

papa Smurf

11 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

No cola, no ice tea?

The first recommendation (commonly asked on Boards) is to increase water based drinks consumption.  Adding lemon is a bonus.

If you are doing that, and add occasion tea or Cola.....it probably isn't gonna matter that much.

I drink this everyday about a pitcher total , they have smaller packs for water bottles .

I did the research on this last yr when they wanted me to take pills 3 times a day

The study reviewed dietary citrate in general and it's ability to inhibit certain types of kidney stone growth, though it mentions Crystal Light lemonade by name. Increased citrate in the urine has been shown to prevent kidney stone formation, in particular calcium oxalate stones.Sep 10, 2013

https://kidneystones.uchicago.edu/price-of-potassium-citrate/

c224eac532ed1738bc32d60496cd3aea.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2017 at 9:21 PM, Youthman said:

I'm wondering if having hard, calcium water (city water) is a major contributor (see post above).  But also, my Dad has had his share of Kidney Stones so part of it may be hereditary.  Then the other main thing is I don't really get thirsty throughout the day.  I typically drink a smoothie for breakfast, some drink (1/2 water bottle or a coke), then a 1/2 glass of water with dinner.  That's about it.  So part of the problem is I'm not consuming enough clear fluid to flush them as they begin forming.   That is a habit I just have to learn to do.

Two liters of liquid a day!  Try lemonade, Squencher, Crystal Light, or Real Lime.  Coffee is fine, milk in your cereal counts.  You need to pee about every hour.  I've had ultrasonic lithotripsy twice.  Been admitted to the hospital twice for intravenous narcotics.  Gotta drink!  I'm not having that pain again. 

• Like 1