Klipsch Heritage test music

Emile

Apologize; know this has been done many times before  :)

But ... just got a new pair of Forte I's and was not impressed. My Cornwall I's and even my KG4's sounded much better :( Have ordered some Crites TI diaphragms to see it it would resolve my problem :)

Tried many, many music files ... Rock ( Jimi Hendrix; All along the Watchtower) to jazz (Keiko Matsui) , film music (Country by Charles Gross, tracks 11 and 13 - used to be my favorite to check my amps/speakers) to classical (Itzhak Perlman, Paganini Concerto No.1) and Beethoven's Symphony 9 ( Part 4; choral, "alle menschen werden bruder").

Anyone for "better" test music?

Many thanks! 

Emile

7 hours ago, Emile said:

Try some acoustic guitar like Spanish classical.  When I had my Fortes I thought they excelled with this genre of music.

Look at the disbanded duo The Civil Wars for great acoustic guitars and beautiful melodies.

http://thecivilwars.com/music-page/

Bill

Hi CECAA850,

Thanks! Think it's OK just to replace the caps ... lot cheaper than buying new boards :) . Also, ordered the tweeter Ti diaphragms from Bob Crites (but he was "out of" the mid-range ones). Since these are (via crossover) only over 6kHz, I have no clue what they will contribute - even though it really improved my KG4's :) . 

Cheers, Emile

Hi Willand,

Thanks for the suggestions. The Civil Wars sound interesting ... downloading some of their music now. Tried some other acoustic guitar music (Lara & Reyes and the California Guitar Trio - Beethoven's 5th on 3 acoustic guitars). Awesome! Chills up my spine :) Maybe I had to get used to the Forte's different "soundstage. OK; trying some Lee Ritenour jazz guitar ... and need to open up another bottle of wine :) 

Cheers, Emile

Willand,

One more :)  My wife thinks I'm crazy because I have 13 Klipsch speakers (oops, BAD number; better get another pair). But ... you've got TWENTY. Guess that puts you in the "certified" category :) 

Cheers, Emile

8 minutes ago, Emile said:

Willand,

One more :)  My wife thinks I'm crazy because I have 13 Klipsch speakers (oops, BAD number; better get another pair). But ... you've got TWENTY. Guess that puts you in the "certified" category :) 

Cheers, Emile

That's funny.:unsure:  You're right, it is twenty.:o

Believe me when I say I have far less than many on this forum.  We are all nuts.:blink2::P

Bill

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Emile said:

The following three are from Sean Olive (JBL):

Tracy Chapman - [Tracy Chapman #02] Fast Car - Tracy Chapman
Jennifer Warnes - [Famous Blue Raincoat - The Songs Of Leonard Cohen (Gold Edition) #02] Bird On A Wire

James Taylor - [That's Why I'm Here #01] That's Why I'm Here

The following 16 are from Roy Delgado:

James Newton Howard & Friends - [James Newton Howard & Friends #03] She
James Newton Howard & Friends - [James Newton Howard & Friends #08] Slippin' Away II
James Newton Howard & Friends - [James Newton Howard & Friends #09] Amuseum
Fourplay - [Between The Sheets #01] Chant
Bonnie Raitt - [Luck Of The Draw #01] Something To Talk About
Bonnie Raitt - [Luck Of The Draw #02] Good Man, Good Woman
Bonnie Raitt - [Luck Of The Draw #08] Not The Only One
Bonnie Raitt - [Luck Of The Draw #03] I Can't Make You Love Me
Tracy Chapman - [New Beginning #01] Heaven's Here On Earth
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - [Flight of the Cosmic Hippo #02] Flying Saucer Dudes -Bela Fleck
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - [Flight of the Cosmic Hippo #04] Flight of the Cosmic Hippo -Bela Fleck
James Taylor - [Never Die Young CD12 #01] Never Die Young
James Newton Howard & Friends - [James Newton Howard & Friends #01] Caesar
James Newton Howard & Friends - [James Newton Howard & Friends #02] Gone Buttlefishin'
James Newton Howard & Friends - [James Newton Howard & Friends #04] L'Daddy
James Newton Howard & Friends - [James Newton Howard & Friends #05] Tandoori

All of these tracks respond well to demastering.

Chris

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Emile said:

Hi CECAA850,

Thanks! Think it's OK just to replace the caps ... lot cheaper than buying new boards :) . Also, ordered the tweeter Ti diaphragms from Bob Crites (but he was "out of" the mid-range ones). Since these are (via crossover) only over 6kHz, I have no clue what they will contribute - even though it really improved my KG4's :) . 

Cheers, Emile

Yes, the caps are all that's needed.

• Like 1

Hi @Emile good thread topic!

I feel like I can put any speaker to the test with three basic genres, male vocal, female vocal, and piano.  Piano is the most difficult instrument to reproduce because of the wide range and dynamics.  The key is you have know what it sounds like to know whether or not it is being reproduced accurately.  I know what a grand piano sounds like.

I remember auditioning some Magnapan MG-1's.  I had a master recording of Chuck Mangione "Feels so Good."  I shut my eyes, listened, then had my buddy who was a flugal horn player to play the solo intro.  Sounded the same.  Bought the Maggies.  

Here are my three go-to male & female vocals plus piano.  Forever and Ever Amen, Randy Travis.  Ready to run, Dixie Chicks.  Chick Corea from My Spanish Heart, Spanish Fantasy Part III. 

All sound best when played LOUD.  B)

Forever and Ever Amen, start at :50.  Youtube will not allow me to embed this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgJXbIP83A8

• Like 1

Hi wvu80,

Thanks! Digging through my collection since I do have some Chuck Mangione records/CD's - and loved his music. And know I have Chick Corea also ... somewhere :( Will download Dixie Chicks and Randy Travis later to try.

My old standby test music was "Country - film music by Charles Gross." Awesome on "big" Klipsch's. Sorry, file too large to add here, but here is a link to (inferior) youtube sound ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOa6Xl4Ep4I 

Cheers, Emile

Hi Dave / wvu80,

Male vocals ... why did I not think of this :(  Big Pavarotti fan, so I'll try "Nessum Dorma." Play Pavarotti/others often in our "main" room - with 3 1/2 pr of Klipsch speakers on an AVR plus Cornwall I's on a Marantz 2252B. But Pavarotti never made it to my "stereo test room" (Marantz 1060 / Pilot 230 tube with Forte I's and KG4's). How stupid can I be :) Going to try it now ... after I open up a bottle of wine (it's after 5pm in FL).

Cheers, Emile

Add-on ...

Still going through my music library ... but think it is hard to beat Dave Brubeck (Time Out / Take Five) and Super Session (Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper and Steve Stills) for any reference music. OK; shows "my age," but "Super Session" was wildly popular during my many, many years in college (don't laugh ... got some advanced degrees :) ) .

Cheers, Emile

For classical guitar, try out recordings by Laurindo Almeida...the Brazilian virtuoso.  All that I have heard are outstanding and VERY WELL recorded.  He passed in 1995 but his recordings still live on.

There are any number of other types of music, to include pop music, that are good "testing music" to see just what speakers are capable of doing.  Some of my personal favorite tunes for this are:

House at Pooh Corner, Loggins and Messina, from their first album: Sittin' In.  Don't laugh...it really is a GOOD "test" tune.

Quite a few from Joni Mitchell...you can start out with her earliest albums which are not as heavily orchestrated, but feature her on guitar and piano...and continue on through her album timeline and observe how each album had more complex orchestration included.  Too bad though, that as her career continued, her heavy smoking continuopusly took away from the vocal range she had in her early days.

Lots of Moody Blues stuff is good for testing.

For clean electric guitar leads on clean recordings, try Ten Years After, A Space in Time, with the late Alvin Lee showing his skill on "I'd Love to Change the World".  Bonnie Raitt...quite a number of good test tunes by her.  The same goes for Pink Floyd.

Maria Muldaur's first album...large variety of stuff on it, and well-recorded.  Everything from country to "New Orleans" style jazz, to blues!  That whole album leaves a smile on my face, tune after tune!

The list goes on and on.

• Like 1