I found a local builder.... which sub should I have built?

Schu

Okay... wood working is beyond my expertise at the moment so I found a local builder that has the skill sets to build a subwoofer for me, the question being... which sub should I have built?

The sub will be used for both HT and music... music is more important for me, but I think HT is probably more demanding when LFE is factored in.

I want a the or hornloaded sub for sure... 

Suggestions?

Room is roughly 25' front to rear and at least 38' side to side with an upward slipping roofline going from front to rear. My preference is for tailored and tight clean bass without bloom, but that seems to be at odds for HT and the need for low frequency effects.

• 4 weeks later...

5 years later and my cinema f-20 is still going strong, with no desire to change. I've swapped amps over time, but nothing else.

Here's the build thread in case you need a refresher: 

Edit1: I don't know which drivers are available for it these days, but I bet parts express still has the Dayton driver.

Edit2: They do.. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss390hf-4-15-reference-hf-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-468

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2017 at 2:22 PM, Schu said:

My guy says he having second thoughts... I think when I told him how critical tolerances are, he got a little scared.

He's suggesting having someone cnc the pieces.

If he has a decent table saw, he will be fine... as long as he's a competent carpenter.  I'm not, and I can make a speaker box.  Glue fills any slight problems.