These are......interesting...

jimjimbo

17 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

@HDBRbuilder any insight? 

Made a few years before I started working at Klipsch, but the screwed-on top panels are a dead giveaway (generally speaking) that the doghouse woofer access door is NOT on the bottom of the bass bin. m I would venture to GUESS that the "K447" designation had something or other to do with them being an "industrial model" LaScala, though.  Eventually all the one-piece-cabineted La Scalas went to speaker bottom woofer access doors, no doubt moreso due to diminishing the hassle of woofer replacement since so many people were over-powering them and blowing woofers than anything else...some people just don't "get it" that the bass horn design is what limits the lower frequency end of the LaScala performance, and it doesn't matter how much power you throw into them, they will only GO SO LOW!...and those people blow tweeters and woofers trying to do something the design simply won't let happen.

• Like 1

Well, I was totally wrong.  I watched, and listened to, that video and the whole time I was listening to it, I kept thinking of that Saturday Night Live Skit  "Bill Swerski's Superfans" with Farley, George Wendt, Mike Myers, etc., saying "Da Bearss....Da Bullsss, or Da Cubsss" and thought I'd see these speakers were in Chicago.

Nope...New Jersey.  Maybe he was a transplant.  

• 3 weeks later...

This is my first post (yay!). I just picked up a pair of 1972 La Scala speakers (AA Crossover, K77 and K55 horns and WW2 capss). These have screw on tops as well. Black badges and 1/4 Jack's tell me this is an industrial version. A friend who is a refinishing carpenter will be giving these a cosmetic restoration shortly. I will post before and after pics. Love the original post. Those are lovely! Cheers!

IMG_20171105_1251157.jpg

Edited by Zed Leppelin
Detail
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...