Bluesound DAC

dtr20

Does anyone have any experience with any of the bluesound products. I think it was developed by nad. @TomR and I went to a hifi store in Nashua NH last weekend to listen to forte III. While there we also listened to Cornwall III and kef ls50. During demos, we used sources that had bluesound built in utilizing tidal streaming service. It was pretty cool and straight forward with a tablet.

Just curious if anyone here we using a product with bluesound.

Just a quick update I set up the the Node 2 late last night and got a good hour or so of listening. Setting it up was very easy once connected to my network via Ethernet it auto updated to the latest version. I started with Spotify using the desktop app. no hitches, sound quality was good with Bluesound dac but honestly not that big of a difference from my peachtree's Dac (Everything in the system was the same components other than the Bluesound and a new pair of Zu Audio Wylde interconnects).  Now for Tidal Masters, there was a very big difference in the music, It was more open I could hear better seperation between instruments and noticed more of the *little things* and vocals were more clear  (If you closed your eyes it was almost as if you were there). Now keep in mind this is going from Spotify"s 380 kbps to Tidal's MQA.  So far Im happy with the Bluesound after my limited time using it just wanted to give my initial impressions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Tony J said:

So far Im happy with the Bluesound after my limited time using it just wanted to give my initial impressions.

Thanks for the update, I ordered the node 2 last night. I'm looking forward to getting some listening time on my gear.

I have a Bluesound Node2 and a couple of their wireless speakers. I actually bought the wireless speaker to use on my deck. The only way I could use it and have it play in sync with my two channel set up was to also use the Node 2. Works pretty well. I only use the Node when I want to play my wireless speaker with my two channel set up. The node can access my NAS via my wireless network and can also stream Tidal. I do run it through my Benchmark DAC 3 so I really cannot comment on the DAC. Its actually a pretty inexpensive way to have a music server - if you have a way to load music on a NAS. I am actually not a huge fan of the Bluesound interface. I find it somewhat clunky. But that is probably just me!

I have to say that the use of the descriptor "streamer" is interesting and somewhat confusing - at least to me!  I guess when people use the term streamer, it is meant to describe a piece of hardware that accesses music on the internet. If that is the case a streamer doesnt really stream anything - it actually just receives a stream. In that context, your computer is a streamer as is an ipad or even an iphone. Am I missing something?

J