FS: McIntosh MC30 monoblocks

dcaccavaro

For sale is this fully serviced pair of McIntosh MC30 mono block amplifiers, widely considered to be among the best tube amplifiers ever made. The amps were thoroughly serviced by a superb vintage tube tech about six months ago. The amps have been brought fully into spec and up to date for safe operation. The amps were also fully re-tubed using carefully selected new old stock tubes (an expensive undertaking). They operate perfectly and sound fantastic. I thought I'd never sell them, but I need to downsize. The amps come with two sets of output tubes: NOS GE 6L6 metal-case tubes (the same type McIntosh initially included with them) and new production Tung-Sol 7581A's, which are really nice tubes. Both sets have less than 20 hours of use on them, so you will be set for tubes for many years to come. The amps are in above-average cosmetic shape, showing some slight pitting in the chrome, which is typical of McIntosh amps of this vintage. 

For this plug-and-play pair of awesome MC30s, I'm asking $2600.

00101_jbWMOBkMKpX_600x450.jpg

Edited by dcaccavaro
poor photo quality

I have 2 x MC240s. Obtained from different folks and they came with different brands of tubes installed. One was from the audio engineer of a TV station in MSP. They sound quite similar. Delightful with my K horns. Originally bought 2 of them for a bi amp project that I never completed. 

My Q to the group is why the metal caps on the tubes closest to us in the pic? On my MC240s, only one of them has a metal capped or ?shielded tube.

Thx for any info.

39 minutes ago, nola said:

My Q to the group is why the metal caps on the tubes closest to us in the pic? On my MC240s, only one of them has a metal capped or ?shielded tube.

Those are original metal cased 6L6 tubes as the amps were first sold.  I don't think that those metal cased tubes are very common, and many times you will see them being used as calibration tubes for tube testers.

And yes, on your 240, you have a single tube (12ax7) with a shield on it, which is how it was designed.  Mine are the same, as are every other 240 I've seen.

Is there a functional reason for the shielding? The shield is only present on one of my 2 MC240s. When I A-B'd the 2 amps, I could not discern much if any difference, despite different brands of tubes, etc.

Do I need to find / buy one of these tube shields?

THX

• 3 months later...
On 10/17/2017 at 9:39 PM, dcaccavaro said:

For sale is this fully serviced pair of McIntosh MC30 mono block amplifiers, widely considered to be among the best tube amplifiers ever made. The amps were thoroughly serviced by a superb vintage tube tech about six months ago. The amps have been brought fully into spec and up to date for safe operation. The amps were also fully re-tubed using carefully selected new old stock tubes (an expensive undertaking). They operate perfectly and sound fantastic. I thought I'd never sell them, but I need to downsize. The amps come with two sets of output tubes: NOS GE 6L6 metal-case tubes (the same type McIntosh initially included with them) and new production Tung-Sol 7581A's, which are really nice tubes. Both sets have less than 20 hours of use on them, so you will be set for tubes for many years to come. The amps are in above-average cosmetic shape, showing some slight pitting in the chrome, which is typical of McIntosh amps of this vintage. 

For this plug-and-play pair of awesome MC30s, I'm asking $2600.

00101_jbWMOBkMKpX_600x450.jpg

I'm located near downtown Houston so if you ever need to make more space, let me know!