The Klipsch Audio Community
wdecho

Korg Nutube 6P1

Back to the argument, can you make SS sound like tube Let's just say the two are different.  This is all part of the null hypothesis.   The two systems are equal.  Now let's assume you stay in one signal path over another.  Similar results with my gear.  I am all for upgrades but, the very small leap in trying ti make everything analog, is not a high priority.

The sound should be good with minimal tweaks.  Look to the room before DAC's and gear replacement.  This is something each owner should and  needs to go thru.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Back to the argument, can you make SS sound like tube Let's just say the two are different.  

It is actually a tube, just a different looking one. 

• Like 1

I recall reading about the 6P1 years ago when it was introduced, but was unaware of Nelson Pass and Pete Millet working with the tube or the eval board from eBay.

I'll have to figure out my screen name and password to read the links the Nelson posted. It gives me a reason now...

5 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Look to the room before DAC's and gear rep;acement.  This is something each owner should and  needs to go thru.

Great advice Derrick. But considering this is the tube sub-forum, maybe William felt he was on-topic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mike stehr said:

You may find this interesting Mike. The 7 minute 30 second mark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCqAvYDpbKQ

The video also shows when you are rich and successful you can look anyway you please as well. But also when many get old they don't really give a damn, as myself.  

My new tube. Actually two tubes in one. Next to it is a common 6SN7 for comparison. I ordered it from Pete Millett along with his board for a buffer preamp. Nelson Pass' design along with the Nutube design and Pete Millett's version are very similar with some subtle differences. Nelson's version uses J-fets vs Millett's use of bipolar transistors. From my limited electronic knowledge that is the only significant difference. J-fets are quieter but I believe the bipolar will be quiet enough. 

P1030739.JPG

Cool, you bought one.

Will you configure it as a headphone amplifier, or a pre-amplifier...or both?

I did watch the Nelson Pass presentation. He makes it somewhat easy to understand for a common layman type. Though I think he wanted better questions, and seemed to look mildly disappointed when he didn't get any. IMO...

I am building as a buffer preamp. At least that is what it is called. From what I understand there is some gain though. Something like 4X. 

http://www.pmillett.com/Nutube_buffer.html

I plan to use it with some of my SS amps to make them sound like a SET. I have a couple of the cheap Chinese tube buffers and I would not recommend them at all. It is a special effect type preamp that introduces 2nd harmonic distortion to make a sound like a triode tube amplifier. It is not something I will use with my D amps liking the different sound the TI 3255 D amp for it's difference but something to play with on my other SS amps. Probably not use it all the time even on them but I am curious on how music is going to sound with this in the mix. If it works correctly in my build and I am successful I will comment further in this thread. Nelson has made the comment he may offer his board in the diyaudio store but knowing Nelson's speed it will probably be a year if he decides to do so. 

• Thanks 1

I finished building this preamplifier this week. Among the quietest tube preamplifier I have. No hum that I can detect with my old ears right next to the speakers. I had to install some grid stopper resistors on the input transistors to stop some oscillation but other than that is was a pretty easy build. I have contacted Pete Millett and he is now aware of the problem and says he is going to notify buyers of this potential problem. I have spent just a few hours listening with a couple of amplifiers and I am well satisfied with the results. I have only used it on 4 of my amplifiers and I like it best with a single ended Nelson Pass designed BA-1 which is a diy smaller version of the Passlabs XA30 amplifier. I did try it with my latest D build and it is not something I will use with it. Sorta goes against the grain of what is so different about the TPA3255 sound. Does it make a SS amplifier sound more like a SET tube? Probably so. The single ended BA-1 sounds really fine with just a decent SS buffer for volume control or with a SS preamplifier.  I should add that I am using a really cheap switcher for power but it is working just fine. The blue glow of the Nutube is really neat. My picture of the board with power does not show this very well. Very cool. 

P1030741.JPG

P1030742.JPG

• Thanks 1

I should add that this build is considered a special effect piece and is not going to be everyone's cup of tea. It introduces some 2nd harmonic into the sound as does many tube preamplifiers as well. More so with single ended tube preamplifiers vs push pull tube preamplifiers being that push pull types cancel out the 2nd harmonic. That being said it sounds really nice. I just listened with my F4 and it has plenty enough gain using my speakers. I like it. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wdecho said:

I should add that this build is considered a special effect piece and is not going to be everyone's cup of tea. It introduces some 2nd harmonic into the sound as does many tube preamplifiers as well.

This coupled with a SET will produce more even ordered harmonics.  Can this ever muddy up the sound?  Would this work better with a PP amp?

28 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

This coupled with a SET will produce more even ordered harmonics.  Can this ever muddy up the sound?  Would this work better with a PP amp?

It is not something I would use with a SET amplifier. With a push pull tube amp, maybe. You might say muddy but I would say just too much 2nd harmonic. Many members here may have bought some of the little cheap Chinese buffers offered on Amazon and Ebay. I have a couple of them I bought years ago myself and the effect is much the same except the cheap Chinese ones have way too much 2nd harmonic. This Nutube is a much more sophisticated circuit and is considered an outstanding sounding triode tube preamplifier by any ones standard. It is designed to operate best at the 1V output which is about just right for our speakers using most amplifiers. If you have an interest it is not very hard to build. I would consider it a beginners project. Cost is around $200 or less depending on case and case hardware used. The board and parts to stuff is around $70.   

• Like 1

I have changed my mind about using this Nutube pre with my TPA3255 amplifier. It sounds really good using such. I do not think posting on this tube section will reach many SS amplifier user's though but us tube guys can be happy keeping a secret. Maybe one day there will be a retail version for those that are not into diy.