The next American Idol?

wstrickland1

I just wanted to share with you people a little bit about my daughter. She's 16 and has  been gigging around town for over a year. She does typical 3 hour gigs, usually solo but sometimes with a bass player and a percussionist. She plays acoustic guitar and of course sings. She's a regular at a few places and there are weekends that she's making $500-$600 bucks. It's crazy and yes I'm the roadie/sound man.

In August they had a Charleston audition and she got a golden ticket, which did nothing but get her thru to another round. Then in September she had another one in New Orleans and made it thru again. Next week is the "real deal". The stuff you see on TV. Judges are Katy Perry, Luke Bryan and Lionel Ritchie. If she gets past this one she goes out to Hollywood week. They really spent a lot of time with her in the first rounds, filming her a lot doing various things like playing her guitar and singing around the venue etc. They really seem to like her a lot. Usually I one to hope for the best and expect the worst but I really think she has a legit shot to at least get thru to Hollywood.

I just wanted to  share this and yeah I know American Idol is looked down on by many for quite a few different reasons but damn I'm proud of this kid.

Wish her luck and I'll keep you posted, although I'm not sure how much I can actually say if she does make it thru since the show won't air until January. I will definitely say if she doesn't make it so....well you can do that math.

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

I just wanted to  share this and yeah I know American Idol is looked down on by many for quite a few different reasons...

Looked down on?  Not by me!  What a fantastic accomplishment by your daughter to get so far.  There are tens of thousands who would like to be in her place right now.

Is there a Youtube vid?  I'd love to hear some of her stuff.

...but damn I'm proud of this kid.

You're a fantastic Dad for supporting her the way you do.  If she were my daughter, I would be proud too.  

4 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

Man we keep telling her to make a youtube channel but she is really busy so I get it.

Isn't there an audio/video club at school who might help with the production?

I don't want to get your hopes up, but if she advances at some point she is going to need people to vote for her.  It wouldn't hurt her cause to get some kind of fan base or following on social media.  

If she gets some video background story from American Idol it might not hurt to let Klipsch, Inc. know their speakers could be featured on Idol as part of the reason this special 16 year-old singer loves music so much.  Family and Klipsch go together.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Isn't there an audio/video club at school who might help with the production?

I don't want to get your hopes up, but if she advances at some point she is going to need people to vote for her.  It wouldn't hurt her cause to get some kind of fan base or following on social media.  

If she gets some video background story from American Idol it might not hurt to let Klipsch, Inc. know their speakers could be featured on Idol as part of the reason this special 16 year-old singer loves music so much.  Family and Klipsch go together.

She's homeschooled no clubs there. We have the setup with a Nikon D5300, Rode mic, etc but she seldom has time between gigs, school, and theater. Yeah she's fairly big in to theater and is in a Master Class during the school year with the production company for Dock Street Theater. She just doesn't have time. She's been promoting her FB page a while but that's harder than it looks.  650 likes or so and that's been tough. 

A few videos in front of LS II''s or Palladiums would be cool though. I'm sure Klipsch will approve. 

• Like 2