Anyone here have a Dennis Had amp?

jimjimbo

Yeah... pretty darn good. It took me a long time to find a 6sn7 that really kicked in the lower registers... probably due to a slightly soft dampening factor. Mids sparkle and up registers are slightly rolled off, all in all I have no regrets. Very quite sound floor but not completely black. WE350b's were magnificent in this amp... but cost more than the amp itself.

Depending on which model you get, I had the hotrod inspire with upgrades that comes in at around 1500$, I would rather wait and get a used VRD for 1800-2000$... the push pull VRD is in a different class sonically imho.

I think the inspire would be awesome if purchased used in that 750$-1100$ range.

If anyone is looking for a tube compliment for this amp, I have a full set of high-end Chinese tubes.

• Like 1

Yes, I'm glad to own an " Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO".    Speakers:  RF-7II.   My favorite tube compliment thus far:  6L6GC / 5V4G / 6DJ8.

Tube rolling can be fun ... until you realize you've tried more than 100 combinations of tubes ... :)

P.S.  There is another forum with more than 4k posts about the Inspire SEP amps.

100_2126_cropped.jpg

• Like 2

This is my Inspire Hotrod. I have tried new production Genalex KT66 tubes, Tung-sol KT150 tube, vintage NOS Western Electric 350b tubes, and new production Tung-sol 7581a tubes. My favorite is the new production Tung-sol 7581a tubes. I have also tried various 6SN7 tubes - NOS RCA, Shuguang treasures CV-181z, and new production Tung-sol - I keep coming back to the Tung-sol tubes.

F548BC43-45EF-4794-8F5E-2151A39C90E8.jpeg

• Like 2

RJW1678 - your Russian Tung Sol 7581's look gassy!

Dennis Had's freshly built 2A3 tube amp is just over $1k now - with nearly 3 days left. There is a PRC-made 2A3 amp @ $1.9k on evil-bay - with a volume control. That's a big bottle for 3 Watts!

My Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 puts out 6.5W in UL (Class A - no fb.) with a 6L6G equivalent. I tried PRC-made EL34B's and OEM 6P3P (~6l6G), settled on the latter, but replaced the input bottles with RCA (metal) NOS 6SJ7's. The amp drives my Heresys nicely (Loud & clear!) - with a resistive summing circuit hooked to the speaker outputs to derive the volume control tracking L+R signal for my JBL SUB 550P 10" sealed baffle subwoofer - matches the Heresy's LF driver and extends it a bit - approaching a Cornwall (Maybe a 'Heresy-corner-wall-subwoofer'??). Whatever - it sounds great.

Stainz - my Russian made Tung-sol 7581a tubes had that blueish glow from when I first plugged them in, it looks worse in pictures than in person. I now have over 150 hours on them, they sounded great when I first plugged them in and now they sound even better. They are being marketed as a 6L6 with extra headroom, I find them very balanced and musical with very good bass, hi frequency, & midrange.

When I was fifteen and in the 10th grade, my folks moved closer to the HS I attended (1964).  I walked by two TV shops going to/from school. I had built SS radios - and repaired VT & SS table radios and phono's - I was fifteen and needed $ for college. I got a job at the shop a block from my home - I was working for min wage - inside, at least. Birmingham gets hot in the summer - and most folks didn't have a/c then - neither did the shop. I welcomed the opportunity to go on house calls with Mac, their tube changing whiz - I carried the tube caddy and the tool box. I found that RCA and Sylvania tubes seldom needed replacing; GE's were next, with Tung Sol being the worst - but they had the greatest mark-up. I mention this because their power tubes were frequently gassy even then - and they were made in the US. I wonder if the Russians bought up their old tooling?

Odd that I saw the blue glow and recalled Tung Sol - had to clean my readers to verify! They are tubes - one day they will fail - meanwhile, enjoy them!

John

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Schu said:

So op... are you getting One?

I would if I were you.

I don't know yet.  Will need to have further conversation with Dennis.  Of course, I will be sure to shout from the highest mountain peak if I do decide to purchase, and I will have to make sure that he has extra insignia's/badges to attach, just to make sure that everyone knows what they are.....

Also Dennis Had gives great support on the Inspire equipment. I had 1 channel on my LP-3a pre amp make a crunching noise and then the channel got quieter. I replaced the tubes with known good tubes, it did not fix it. Sent Dennis an email. He had me ship it to him, when he received my LP-3a he fixed it and I received a notice that he shipped it back in less than 4 hours after he received it. My LP-3a has been working fine ever since.

6BB035C5-7B04-4C65-A62C-B84C572AC290.jpeg