Anyone here have a Dennis Had amp?

jimjimbo

Jim you may remember I brought my Inspire to Hope, 2016. I do know several folks thought it sounded very nice. KT66/88 single ended utilizing different rectifiers for 66 or 88. Mine is an "integrated" or a power amp with volume pot. Never heard an Inspire PP so I can't comment. But I will say that regardless tube or solid state this is one of the quietest amps I've owned. Including chip amps and Class D. 

Extremely silent right at the mid/tweet horn, something to be valued with our big horns. 

And I'm sure Dennis will accommodate extra Inspire emblems should you desire. And I know McIntosh has never attached their chrome McIntosh emblem on any amp or fit those gigantic blue power meters. No they would never showcase their iconic name. I'd say Dennis' success with Cary allows him to brag a bit. I've spoken with him several times and he is genuinely nice to chat with. Helll, he might even be nice to you?! 

5 hours ago, jorjen said:

How do you like the Psvane KT-88's?

Good... I placed this all Chinese treasure set up pictured second behind we350b's with a cbs/hytron 5692 mil spec 6sn7.

I think I still have that kt88/cv181 with relatively low hours... would be willing to sell.

On 10/20/2017 at 3:38 PM, jimjimbo said:

I don't know yet.  Will need to have further conversation with Dennis.  Of course, I will be sure to shout from the highest mountain peak if I do decide to purchase, and I will have to make sure that he has extra insignia's/badges to attach, just to make sure that everyone knows what they are.....

Inspire is a double meaning for DH... I found him a genuinely "spiritual" person from my conversations with him.

5 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Nice to me would be a stretch, perhaps modestly tolerate....

Are you sure it was 2016 you brought the Inspire?

I think so but actually had to think it through. Last April 2017, no didn't bring any gear. The previous year would have been 2016 so yes that's the year. Think back - same year you brought a Mc 250? solid state to sell? Wasn't that in 2016? Gawd its shitts to get old(er). 

9 hours ago, richieb said:

I think so but actually had to think it through. Last April 2017, no didn't bring any gear. The previous year would have been 2016 so yes that's the year. Think back - same year you brought a Mc 250? solid state to sell? Wasn't that in 2016? Gawd its shitts to get old(er). 

Yes, must have been 16.  It's funny though, I brought the MC250, at first not really intending to sell it, and then there was a bunch of interest, but no one took it home....Then very soon after, Tom (newtune) decided that he had really liked it, so he came to my place, we listened to it and other things and he bought it.  Then of course, I had severe sellers remorse, bought two more and had them restored, and they now sit on the Chorus II's.  They aren't going anywhere.

• Like 1

I have been reading this thread with great interest. Can anyone give me an idea if Dennis Had’s amp would perform better than say, McIntosh MC30’s pair? I am using the reissue C22 pre amp and have Klipschorn Speakers. I would appreciate any input and am very interested in trying one of his amps if there is a discernible difference. 

6 minutes ago, pantoramasan said:

I have been reading this thread with great interest. Can anyone give me an idea if Dennis Had’s amp would perform better than say, McIntosh MC30’s pair? I am using the reissue C22 pre amp and have Klipschorn Speakers. I would appreciate any input and am very interested in trying one of his amps if there is a discernible difference. 

I too have MC30's, and Khorns.

I don't know about "perform better",  I think it's a matter of "different"......Since I have not yet heard one of his amps, I can't detail what that difference exactly would be.  I know there are others here that will, and I'll be interested to read that too.....

• Like 1

Those with both the Dennis Had And Mc30's might be a short list so Jim lets do this - I have the Had and you have the Mc30 monos, right.

Send me your Mc's and I'll compare those against my Dennis Had and I'll write a detailed report after an extensive and lengthy listening session. All for the good of this thread and the Forum in general. I'll provide my address when you are ready to ship. You can all thank me later --

• Like 2

@richieb  Richie, how about this....you bring the Had amp, and I'll bring the MC30's (and maybe the MC225) to Hope.  Although the listening environment at Rodney's is not particularly conducive to making critical comparisons.....whoa, wait a second...just thought of something.  Perhaps we could talk Roy @Chief boneheadinto letting us set something up in the listening room  at the factory?  Now that would be kinda cool.....There's already several pairs of speakers there, and a switch between them.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

@richieb  Richie, how about this....you bring the Had amp, and I'll bring the MC30's (and maybe the MC225) to Hope.  Although the listening environment at Rodney's is not particularly conducive to making critical comparisons.....whoa, wait a second...just thought of something.  Perhaps we could talk Roy @Chief boneheadinto letting us set something up in the listening room  at the factory?  Now that would be kinda cool.....There's already several pairs of speakers there, and a switch between them.....

This is a plan I can work with although auditioning the 30's in my room seemed workable as well !  Of course we missed a golden opportunity at Rodney's in April when we had the opportunity to listen to, what, 20-30 pair of speakers?! You remember - the Mt. Everest of speaker stacks. ?!

46 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

My knee still hurts....

Oh yeah, I remember that. I'm chuckling with you, not at you! That was quite the tumble. You showed tremendous agility as you went down I must say. That could have been a disastrous trip along with your favorite coffee maker falling out the back of your car.