My Mc275 quit working!

32blownhemi

Any ideas on what could be wrong? It's getting power cuz the little red power light is on. It just does nothing when I flip the on/off  switch. It hasn't got that many hours on it either. I have 2 & not sure which McIntosh dealer this one came from. One was brand new in the box. The other was a show room demo which they said had very few hours on it... Got one last April the other in July or so. Any fuses? Or? Is this the right place to post this?  

Thank You!    Bill

I am not the Mac guy, so I'll bow out immediately and let the smart guys diagnose this after a small suggestion; can you take the cover off and do a visual inspection to see if anything is obviously wrong?  Is there any smell of burned electronics?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Thank You! No smell at all. It looks pretty involved to take the cover off. I'll go youtube it & see if it shows how. When it's plugged in the little red light that's right beside the on/off switch is on so it's getting power. I do have a pre-amp but none of the tubes are on. Nothing shows on except the little red light that shows it's plugged in. The other day when I went to turn the amp on it wouldn't go on. I checked the power cord & it was pulled out so I put it back in. I can't remember but I don't think the power switch was on when I plugged it back in but it might have been. Could this have done something? Although I've used it several times since that happened....  Thanks,   Bill

There may be an internal circuit that shuts down if there is a tube problem.  I would recommend looking on line for schematics (after you open it up and see if there are any internal fuses), and see what may be common on the power supply side between the tubes.  Not much help either, sorry.

Time to test the tubes--KT88s and the 12at7s.  Or you can trade the Mac amps in and get SS which have much longer MTTF, i.e., no periodic maintenance required. 

Tubes have to be replaced every few thousand hours (or perhaps less), and they constantly change their operating performance over their useful lives. I believe that's an unnecessary complication those that aren't into diddling.  With your set up, I think you'll be hard pressed to hear any differences between the tubes and their SS brothers (McIntosh, First Watt, etc.).  The effect of tubes usually only becomes audible when the input impedance of the loudspeakers drops below about 8-10 ohms.  In any case, those differences can mostly be EQed flat again using the Xilica.

Chris

11 hours ago, 32blownhemi said:

I have 2 & not sure which McIntosh dealer this one came from. One was brand new in the box. The other was a show room demo which they said had very few hours on it..

Don't you have serial number and a matching bill of sale that will show which dealer...?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

Since the amp is not that old, call either Mac dealer and explain the situation. They can lead you through the preliminary trouble shooting. if there were any sort of warranties, I would not dismantle anything or even touch the screws heads.

This^^^^^

57 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Don't you have serial number and a matching bill of sale that will show which dealer...?

And This^^^^^^^^

• Like 1

Thank You for all the replies! Ok, found the receipt & it's the amp I bought new not the store demo one. I called em & they had me run through a procedure. Turn on the auto off switch, unplug the amp, wait 2 minutes, plug it back in, turn the auto off switch off & then turn the unit on. But it still didn't go on. I then checked the only user serviceable fuse & it was good. The guy said it probably wasn't the fuse but I checked it anyway. There's a 90 warrantee on Tubes & 3 years on the rest & he said to bring it in. Said that if only one tube is bad it might not turn on but I thought the tubes lit up a different color if they were bad (it's a Mc275 MK VI). The salesperson did say he didn't know much about tube problems but said he was surprised because they were relatively trouble free. Guess he lied, hug?  Lol... I should probably consider going to SS. I don't want to be messing with stuff all the time... And I plugged the amp that doesn't work into the same electrical socket that the good amp was plugged into. And the settings on the bad amp are set the same as the good amp... I bought the amp in May so the warrantee on the tubes is up but he said not to worry about it. That he thought Macintosh would cover any bad tubes.... Thanks again!    Bill

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 32blownhemi said:

The salesperson did say he didn't know much about tube problems but said he was surprised because they were relatively trouble free. Guess he lied, hug?  Lol... I should probably consider going to SS. I don't want to be messing with stuff all the time...  That he thought Macintosh would cover any bad tubes.... Thanks again!    Bill

Relative is relative sadly.  :wacko:  Hope it is something like a bad tube but if they are all on and glowing the same, sounds a little less likely.

So took my amp into the McIntosh dealer last Monday, he said the repair guy would pick it up on Tuesday & he'd call me either Tuesday or Wednesday to let me know what was going on. Well, Saturday rolled around & I still hadn't heard from him so I called. He knew nothing, said he'd call the guy & call me back. Yeah, you guessed it. He didn't call back... Hope this doesn't turn into a disaster...