Bi-amping Jube's /402 horn with a Crown 1002 & a Mc275?

32blownhemi

Thank You Dtel,  I should have explained more. I'm passive with a Xilica 4080. I can hook up both 402 horns to the Mc275. But can I just run both cables from my pre-amp into my Crown & then hook up both my Jube bins to the Crown & then just turn it on? Not even touching the setting? All this stuff pops up on the Crown display that's foreign to me....  Thanks again!  Bill

Many ways to do this. The most straight forward is to bypass any DSP on the crown and let the 4080 do all the crossover settings for both the bass bins and tweeters (similar to what you  had done before).

One caveat, the input sensitivities on the two amps will probably differ. What we need to figure out now, requires you to put a one volt sine wave into the crown and measure the voltage out and then do the exact same thing with the Mac amp. 

Let us know the answer.

There is a way to get close:

Simply connect the Crown to the bass bins and the Xilica where the MC275 was, then turn up the volume controls on each side of the Crown amp until it sounds balanced, first making sure that the Crown amp DSP settings are not using their internal crossover settings, i.e., those internal settings are clear. 

If it later sounds like too much or too little bass...you'll know what to do.  The idea is to find the correct setting and then leave it at that setting.

If you have a hand held SPL meter and a test CD that has 400 Hz 1/3-octave or 1-octave pink noise, you can get a little closer.

Chris

Thank You Chris & Tom! Putting a 'one watt sine wave' into the amps is way over my head as is using a SPL meter with 1/3 octave. But, I'll call Crown tech support & ask them to walk me through clearing the internal settings & then try it by just adjusting the volume. I messed with it a little the other day & somehow set something up that I can't clear.  Thanks again!    Bill