The Wussification

oldtimer

32 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

While I believe in free speech and welcome contrary opinions, i suspect it wouldn’t take long for personal insults to start flying. I can handle them because for me to be offended, i would first have to value the other person’s opinion.

I understand....My problem is I relish when someone mistakes me for one of the "talking heads' they think they are arguing with on tv and I explain to them in person they should rethink their incivility. Honestly, when Amy invited me to the last place I was excited because I thought it was "words" that expressed our opinions and at the time there were important things going on. Of course now important things are happening but so much of it can't be discussed because it can't be defended--THAT is what I think the problem is and discussions cant help but deteriorate in an "us against them," dynamic, when in fact I feel folks have been trained into that kind of worldview. 

2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

My problem is I relish when someone mistakes me for one of the "talking heads'

so that isn’t you on MSNBC?  :D

2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

so much of it can't be discussed because it can't be defended--THAT is what I think the problem

I agree with that statement more than i disagree.  The things that people try to justify are mind boggling; however, those things can’t be defended when we apply OUR worldview to THEIR opinion. We’re not going to get anywhere if we do that. People shouldn't change their worldview just because someone is eloquent or has a higher degree.  Ok, some may; but, I’m hoping most people aren’t making such a drastic change in their thinking all because “this guy on the internet said ....” 

That’s why i mentioned once in that section that once was and is no more, that i’m very intrigued with “why” people believe what they do. That is where we start understanding how/why a person forms the opinions that they do.There is also where, if we believe there is a flaw in their argument, we will most likely be able to successfully address it.

Most people don’t challenge their own beliefs; perhaps they’re scared to ... i don’t know. I do find that most are quick to be defensive when challenged. If i think you are wrong, I’m totally satisfied if i can at least get you to re-examine why you believe what you do. It’s not my job to change your mind. Some do honest self-examination and decide that they were right all along; others are willing to accept that they’ve came to wrong conclusions, whether the result of personal bias or being provided false information. To me, THAT is a critical flaw; when a person simply won’t challenge themselves. I do it all the time because i have this sick fear of being self-deceived, that compels me to continuously ask myself “why do i believe that.” 

Being human, we all have our pet peeves. For me, it drives me nuts when someone presents their speculation as fact. For instance, if President X would have taken action Y then we would have this result instead of that result. Merely speculation .... it sure would be fun if there was a crystal ball that would show us all the “what ifs;” but, as far as i know one doesn’t exist. I love speculation--it’s fun; but, we should admit when we're just speculating. 

Lastly, i think some just like to be difficult. It’s entertaining to them. Fairly easy to identify those and it’s a waste of time dealing with them.

• Like 3

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Max2 said:

Why did the last Wuss thread get locked?  I thought we did a pretty good job keeping the topic on without it turning ugly.  

It turned political.  

Gets you guys every time.  You can't help yourselves sometimes.

It everyone stayed historical it would be fine.  

1 hour ago, dwilawyer said:

It turned political.  

we’re just fulfilling our civic duty -- we’re constantly being told to be involved, vote, stay informed ... politics is in our face most of the time. well, some of us didn’t listen -- i didn’t vote in this recent election.

interesting ... a thread about the history and the impact that the “Private Section” and the “No BS Sections” have had on the forum. (I’m not serious).

9 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

It turned political.  

Exactly. You made a common sense decision about where the level of things were headed, yet you didn't get the spoiler alert from the title of the thread.  It was political before it even began, yet there was some wiggle room there. Maybe we can add  a little fat to the closing of thread "trigger"  as everything is politicized by a certain side these days.  

My personal trigger is stupidity.  

Calling a class of people "wusses" is stupid.

Blaming professors for brainwashing college students with Marxism is flat out stupid.

Trying to have a discussion of epistemology on an audio forum is pointless and stupid.

Allowing lies to propagate unchecked, while being intolerant of a few naughty words, is stupid.

This place hasn't become wussified, it's just gotten more stupid, or the stupid has gained more influence here than it really should.  That's taking place in our society at large, not just here in the forums.

Here's a piece written by one of those dastardly college professors, of economics, and it has important things to say about human interactions, relevant to discussions on political topics as well as magic speaker wires.

Oh, and BigStewMan, this is for you:

image.jpeg.be9ca9e2174a668ac865f6a48f1de606.jpeg

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Max2 said:

Exactly. You made a common sense decision about where the level of things were headed, yet you didn't get the spoiler alert from the title of the thread.  It was political before it even began, yet there was some wiggle room there. Maybe we can add  a little fat to the closing of thread "trigger"  as everything is politicized by a certain side these days.  

No, it wasn't political at all until there was posting of political commentary in links to outside videos.  Giant red flag, not a "trigger."  It was.going along fine up to that point.  (I think it was obvious in that thread where it was headed, thus comments about the situation reminded them of a current political figure, or they couldn't really say what they wanted to say because it was political). 

I don't have any triggers on here other then the terms of service, rules, etc. of the Forum.  

• Like 1

Probably wrong( nothing new) yet thinking PM's here can include more than a 2 way conversation. If so, how many? May defeat the purpose for some yet, if so, an under the radar confab may be cool. Thought I saw something there to think it yet, I hallucinate at times she says....

Thanks OT for the subject!

16 minutes ago, billybob said:

Probably wrong( nothing new) yet thinking PM's here can include more than a 2 way conversation. If so, how many? May defeat the purpose for some yet, if so, an under the radar confab may be cool. Thought I saw something there to think it yet, I hallucinate at times she says....

Thanks OT for the subject!

we had 12.....

so the bs forum lives again..

in a private format..

until someone presses the wussification button... oh I meant

it would be more fun using skype

you can see the animated faces..

and hear foul language..simultaneously !

25 people

Make free group calls with Skype. Whether you want to share big news with your family or need to work closely with a team of colleagues, with Skype group calling, including conference calling and group chats, you can host a group video chat or conference call for up to 25 people.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

we had 12.....

so the bs forum lives again..

in a private format..

until someone presses the wussification button... oh I meant

Never had the occasion to use that button.

1 minute ago, dirtmudd said:

it would be more fun using skype

you can see the animated faces..

and hear foul language..simultaneously !

25 people

Make free group calls with Skype. Whether you want to share big news with your family or need to work closely with a team of colleagues, with Skype group calling, including conference calling and group chats, you can host a group video chat or conference call for up to 25 people.

Well then I would have to look at people.Fairly certain folk here not interested in looking at my caricature of a face...:blush2:

It is an option though...thanks.

6 minutes ago, billybob said:

Never had the occasion to use that button.

Well then I would have to look at people.Fairly certain folk here not interested in looking at my caricature of a face...:blush2:

It is an option though...thanks.

it would preserve the forum...

until it's spills back here...

just remember no one is right and

no one is wrong...

just go into the Skype with a opened mind..

the Skype should be called the no bs

think tank.....

we're no one wins or loses

and leave it at the Skype...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

No, it wasn't political at all until there was posting of political commentary in links to outside videos.  Giant red flag, not a "trigger."  It was.going along fine up to that point.  (I think it was obvious in that thread where it was headed, thus comments about the situation reminded them of a current political figure, or they couldn't really say what they wanted to say because it was political). 

You actually bring up another thing I miss about the No BS Forum--There are things that have come to light since the election that would be EXCELLENT to expose where links folks shared came from! If one would go through those archives they would find contemporary "proof,"  that not everything is a false conspiracy when it comes to politics....

Btw, would it be political to start a thread about an obvious foreign weaponized social media and internet campaign to try and influence our elections?  Of course, I am saying that semi-tongue-in-cheek, but having debated other conspiracies that proved to be false--This one definitely has legs and unelected officials in charge of our National Security have confirmed it....It does make me want to go through the old threasds and see what folks on here were discussing the week of September 11, 2001 and what was considered "political" speech.

{Steps off soapbox} 

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

You actually bring up another thing I miss about the No BS Forum--There are things that have come to light since the election that would be EXCELLENT to expose where links folks shared came from! If one would go through those archives they would find contemporary "proof,"  that not everything is a false conspiracy when it comes to politics....

Btw, would it be political to start a thread about an obvious foreign weaponized social media and internet campaign to try and influence our elections?  Of course, I am saying that semi-tongue-in-cheek, but having debated other conspiracies that proved to be false--This one definitely has legs and unelected officials in charge of our National Security have confirmed it....It does make me want to go through the old threasds and see what folks on here were discussing the week of September 11, 2001 and what was considered "political" speech.

{Steps off soapbox} 

Zen, I hid your post that immediately preceeded this one, it went just over the line.  

Zen, I hid your post that immediately preceeded this one, it went just over the line.  

Okay. Thanks. Trying to ease back into the forum while trying to be respectful of that line...Fwiw, I identified with your "Malcontents and Thinkers" comment from a another locked thread and sometimes don't realize the latter in me until the "crying" begins. Lol.

Btw, Thanks to you and the other moderators for dealing with all of us adults and if anyone from Klipsch is reading this when I go Atmos am DEFINITELY considering Klipsch speakers and using the Forum as a resource. [emoji4]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk