The Wussification

oldtimer

3 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Can a person extract themselves from a group PM if they choose to no longer participate in that PM?

There is absolutely no moderator vision into any of the group PM's?  

As far as I know....................

I believe the person starting the PM can uninvite someone and I believe you can withdraw by deleting the PM from your inbox.

Moderators do not have the ability to look at PM's unless an alert is created or they are invited into the conversation.  Chad
Almighty probably could but he's stated on more than one occasion that it's not something he'd consider doing.

7 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Trigger happy moderation.  But it's accepted and we move on, in new and different directions...

See thread called Dammit Travis

Cool.   All these far leaning groups we were discussing in that thread are against free speech, hence them feeling unsafe on campus. They're  trying to block anyone to come and speak that doesn't fit their cause.  Thats why they chant and yell "safety."    Oh and they have empathy tents set up to rub shoulders, pat backs and hand out tissues for the folks that are so shaken by a civilized group having discussion across campus.   

5 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

I don't wish to have debates/discussions with people whom I always agree with because It's hard to learn about another's perspective. .

It’s a Christmas Miracle ... we agree on something :)  

I have debate with a close friend regarding are people naturally good or naturally evil ... this debate is probably on year 15.  We don’t talk about it all the time; but, it often weaves it’s way into our conversations, as it does affect our worldviews.

On the other hand, someone that just agrees with nearly everything i say -- that conversation gets boring real quick. 

My buddy told me once that when we cease trying to understand each other, we will stop learning. 

i’m more displeased with the closing of the BS Section, even though my participation was limited. Sometimes, i think the forum moderation is taking a page out of The Minority Report ... let’s shut the thread down before an offense is committed. I’ve seen several threads closed with the weak explanation that “this thread has run it’s course.”  

Personally, i don’t think i’d participate in a group PM.  While I believe in free speech and welcome contrary opinions, i suspect it wouldn’t take long for personal insults to start flying. I can handle them because for me to be offended, i would first have to value the other person’s opinion. If the other person can only bring insults to the table, then i won’t respect their opinion, thus i can’t be offended by it. That said, I have no desire to engage in personal attacks or insults. My life isn’t that exciting anymore; but, thankfully it isn’t that  bad yet.

Cheers and hope you are doing well. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Civilized? You mean like the 1860’s type civilized? Sure.

No,no.  I think we all agree on what is purely ugly and what isn't here. Im talking about lectures from a party that are being denied to congregate and have a discussion.