The Wussification

oldtimer

43 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:
Klipsch is in on it.  Google, Yahoo, Klipsch.

They can't get away from it. If you go back and look at the original wussification thread, I brought it back up because of Klipsch representation in the original Link! :0

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Seriously! I understand why a Klipsch sales banner comes up in my browser, but feel that anecdote could go a long way in explaining the dynamics in the last election. Well before they closed the No BS Section I was able to provide where fellow members posted links to sites that came up in their browser and it to had to do with their search history--Now some of those sources have been exposed as not being legitimate news sites. THAT was/is something that needs to be exposed in adult conversations, imo.

Btw, you and I have differed on so many things and I really wish we could find your 10 point plan on where we wanted to see this country go prior to the election because we were in agreement for the most part and I believe we (and others who stuck with the debate) could reach consensus. 

1 minute ago, Zen Traveler said:

Btw, you and I have differed on so many things and I really wish we could find your 10 point plan on where we wanted to see this country go prior to the election because we were in agreement for the most part and I believe we (and others who stuck with the debate) could reach consensus. 

I'm not so sure consensus could be had.  I am not as down on our society as a good number of people who think it's all going to hell in a hand basket - and those people exist on both sides of the aisle.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:58 AM, dirtmudd said:

it would preserve the forum...

until it's spills back here...

just remember no one is right and

no one is wrong...

just go into the Skype with a opened mind..

the Skype should be called the no bs

think tank.....

we're no one wins or loses

and leave it at the Skype...

Does Skype document and keep conversations? If not, then it's just another platform where folks can spout their views without any critique....Fwiw, one of the things I like about a written forum is that it takes more thought to participated and those that don't get exposed pretty quick with the cut-n-paste feature. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I'm not so sure consensus could be had.  I am not as down on our society as a good number of people who think it's all going to hell in a hand basket - and those people exist on both sides of the aisle.

Neither am I but your post I definitely reflected on and feel where we disagreed could be hashed out.....Fwiw, I am positive most of what you wrote isn't even being considered and the proof is in contemporary politics. What I liked about your post was that it was apolitical and pretty much where I wanted to see the country go as well. The one thing we differed on was Foreign Policy and given where we are going feel there is a tremendous amount of discussion that could be had---I also hate that Healthcare is a forbidden topic and those not paying attention to the policy aspect have been deterred by the propaganda aspect and all Americans are going to pay....Btw, I may be one of the ones you describe above but even in that scenario I am proud to be an American although admit (quite a few of) our elected officials don't seem to support my morality or my views.

2 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

I may be one of the ones you describe above...

I never got the impression you feel negative on the state of our society.  Everyone has things they'd like to see improved and can even find some things they think are definitely wrong;  but I was referring to a sort of general "malaise" over the way things are.  

33 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Does Skype document and keep conversations? If not, then it's just another platform where folks can spout their views without any critique....Fwiw, one of the things I like about a written forum is that it takes more thought to participated and those that don't get exposed pretty quick with the cut-n-paste feature. 

skype is a internet phone call...

I don't think they have a right 

to recored the conversation ... 

but it is in real time...up to 25 people.. and it's up to everyone

to moderate their views...

and with all people ...sometimes

we all get out of line....

and the biggest you can opt out..

no one as the power over you....

only you or others can do the same..

till cooler heads prevail...

then opt back in...if the conversation

is still going....or have a side chat... 

with the person ..you might have 

a issue with...

it's hard to convey what you type..

with skype you view the person

I'm real time...and watch body language and hear spoken word...

and there's no cut and paste...

it's you and your verbs..no typing ..

7 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

it's hard to convey what you type..

with skype you view the person

I'm real time...and watch body language and hear spoken word...

Sure. But I don't need to see the body language of someone ranting and feel the written word helps keep debates on point.

and there's no cut and paste...

it's you and your verbs..no typing ..

I have more political and religious discussions in person than most and when having these kind of verbal discussions in the flesh I find  it's easier to keep folks civil. 

Btw, thanks for sharing the Skype information but I will still feel more comfortable debating politics on the internet in writing and in person enjoy the interaction but understand why some don't--Again, I feel the written format also helps explain why. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zen Traveler said:

Sure. But I don't need to see the body language of someone ranting and feel the written word helps keep debates on point.

I have more political and religious discussions in person than most and when you are having these kind of verbal discussions in the flesh it's easier to keep folks civil. 

Btw, thanks for sharing the Skype information but I will still feel more comfortable debating politics on the internet in writing and in person enjoy the interaction but understand why some don't--Again, I feel the written format also helps explain why. 

I just recently joined the forum

over a year ago...

but I did frequent the forum

since 98... and some of the 

discussion were over the top.. 

I find it easier to talk to people in person....you can use better judgement..by tone of voice and 

body language...

but to each their own... 

and yes your welcome !!!

I just recently joined the forum

over a year ago...

but I did frequent the forum

since 98... and some of the 

discussion were over the top.. 

I find it easier to talk to people in person....you can use better judgement..by tone of voice and 

body language...

but to each their own... 

and yes your welcome !!!

I agree and relish having these conversations in person with friends and those willing to abide by the rules. Of course that's not a Skype conversation.

Otoh, it takes some art to put your thoughts in writing and having it readily available gives one time to think in depth before responding. Too many times I've bewen in conversations where folks say things like they were talking to the TV and I had to remind them that I wasn't one of those "elites," but expressing my own opinion that I would like to be addressed.... then tempers would rise and I ended up coming across as a lecturer--Ya just can't win.

Edit: Btw, belated welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Okay. Thanks. Trying to ease back into the forum while trying to be respectful of that line...Fwiw, I identified with your "Malcontents and Thinkers" comment from a another locked thread and sometimes don't realize the latter in me until the "crying" begins. Lol.

Btw, Thanks to you and the other moderators for dealing with all of us adults and if anyone from Klipsch is reading this when I go Atmos am DEFINITELY considering Klipsch speakers and using the Forum as a resource. emoji4.png

It wasn't anything egregious, just the last part about recent election cycle.  The first 90% was fine, but I don't feel comfortable editing posts without discussing first.  If it was left there someone would respond, and then someone else, etc.

I don't remember the "malcontents and thinkers" reference, sounds to be more articulate than I am capable of. 

AK has a completely separate political forum that was necessary to give people a place to talk about those topics.  I'm just curious if any of the former BSS people have checked that out?

40 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

it takes some art to put your thoughts in writing and having it readily available gives one time to think in depth before responding.

Totally agree.  I’d be a lousy Skype participant because i don’t do so well in verbal communication. I’ve had to speak to audiences before and done well (so they say): but, it takes preparation -- i don’t “wing it” so good.  When I have to wing it, i find myself injecting far more humor into the presentation than subject matter. One time, i was prepared but, I was to be the 14th speaker at this event. My intent was just to speak; but, the first 13 speakers had powerpoint presentation or handouts. I got a bit nervous wondering how i would compete with all the bells & whistles that the others had. So, i spent the first few minutes of my speech lying like crazy. I told some huge whoopers about running away from 14 orphanages and foster homes, being thrown in jail in Columbia for having what turned out not to be a bag of powered sugar, etc... People were on the edge of their seats, then when i had their attention, i gave them the boring subject matter. (oh, i did tell them i was lying). They still loved it. But, there have been other moments when my mind goes blank and i forget half of what i intended to say. 

At work, if you asked me a question via email, i could answer immediately with no problem. If you walk into my office or call me and ask, my mind trips out and I often offer to get back to them with an answer. Immediately, after hanging up, i know the answer.  Just a week ago, i was asked my telephone number and couldn’t remember it. Stage fright maybe?

I would get complimented on my speeches and my boss would threaten to have me emcee EVERY event because he got so many compliments; but, it doesn’t come easy nor is it enjoyable for me. Besides, i haven’t shaved in months, so a Skype call would reveal that.

12 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Besides, i haven’t shaved in months, so a Skype call would reveal that

That is /was a nice compliment on your speechs from your boss. 

Bet you look cool with a beard...Wolfman Jack...ish but handsome.B)

Alright...:emotion-21:

Guess I could Skype with my back to the monitor:blush2:

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, billybob said:

That is /was a nice compliment on your speechs from your boss. 

Bet you look cool with a beard...Wolfman Jack...ish but handsome.B)

Alright...:emotion-21:

Guess I could Skype with my back to the monitor:blush2:

ok father time !!! or use a hand puppet

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Skype presents the time problem.  If everyone is on at different times, then no one hears the others.  If the tree falls in the woods, sure it makes a sound, but that doesn't mean a human hears it.

you’re a stinking philosopher aren’t you. But, hey ... Yankees lost.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Skype presents the time problem.  If everyone is on at different times, then no one hears the others.  If the tree falls in the woods, sure it makes a sound, but that doesn't mean a human hears it.

Had not thought about latency issue with Skype. Yes, that could really get interesting, since I have a bad habit tendency to talk while others are talking. Maybe a good thing if I had to stfu in order to hear an answer to a question.

Never had a reply about how more than 2 could have a PM  confab. Moved on from that anyway. If were really interested, guess I could have addressed a moderator with that question or, did the research myself. Aw Shucks, sounds too much like work.