Analog 7.1 and HDMI for Video Only

rplace

My theater is getting a bit long in the tooth and I'm thinking of a new projector and DVD player. However I don't want to replace my processor. If I get a player with analog output for 7.1 and run that to my processor can I also output the HDMI signal directly to the projector?

Currently I have a Sunfire TG IV processor that does not have any HDMI inputs/outputs. I'm thinking of a OPPO-205 and would like it to give the analog sound to the Sunfire while going HDMI directly to the projector for video only. Any issues?

It's been a long time so I could be remembering wrong but I thought there was an issue do to piracy prevention that when HDMI was connected to video sources they would not output analog sound. Meaning you had to use one or the other. Do I have that wrong?

I have a situation where a device and prepro do not like each other for audio. When I want to use that streamer I use HDMI in to prepro and then back feed from TV to prepro with optical and it works fine. I would loose anything above 5.1 with optical. I did use use hdmi / analog out a few years ago from a Oppo -95 to an Denon or Onkyo receiver from grins once.

I would think that if the projector and source shook hands all would be ok.

I use my system for 2 ch and HT.  I have the BDP connected to the projector via the avr.  I run analog out to the integrated tube amplifier and stream Pandora thru the system.  So, the signal from the BDP is analog to the integrated amp.  HDMI will deliver the video to the TV or projector.  

In short, this is what the OP wishes to do.

On 10/20/2017 at 8:26 AM, rplace said:

My theater is getting a bit long in the tooth and I'm thinking of a new projector and DVD player. However I don't want to replace my processor. If I get a player with analog output for 7.1 and run that to my processor can I also output the HDMI signal directly to the projector?

Currently I have a Sunfire TG IV processor that does not have any HDMI inputs/outputs. I'm thinking of a OPPO-205 and would like it to give the analog sound to the Sunfire while going HDMI directly to the projector for video only. Any issues?

I do just that with my Denon universal disc player.  It will not output DVD-A at full resolution via HDMI or other digital out.  So, I run the HDMI to my TV and analog audio to my Pro/Pro.  It means I have to switch the TV to a different input to watch DVDs, but it works.  The Denon upconverts DVD to 1080 well, my Sony Blu-Ray cannot.

Thanks @John Albright What Denon do you have? The reason I ask is...I was playing around a bit with my current Denon 3910. I connected a HDMI cable directly to my projector and got the video to work just fine. I might even say it looks slightly better Denon 3910>>>Projector via HDMI than Denon 3910>>>Sunfire>>>Projector via component video. The problem is I don't get any audio unless I have the digital coax from the Denon to the Sunfire. I get nothing with the 5.1 Analog from the Denon to the Sunfire.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I can get an OPPO 203 to do all decoding and pass analog 7.1 to my sunfire with video directly from oppo to projector. Seems like the new OPPO should be able to handle any new format so I don't really want the older Sunfire to take in digital and do any processing. Make sense? So far I have not been able to make the Sunfire take analog from my current Denon 3910 which only had 5.1 analog out. I can't believe the missing other two channels between Denon to Sunfire have any impact.

I did have an online chat with a guy at Crutchfield and he said OPPO-203 to sunfire via analog should be just fine...though I did not get a warm fuzzy from that guy. Seemed to just be reading specs back to me form OPPO info....but I could be wrong about that. Hard to tell in just chat format.

• 2 weeks later...

I run a Oppo 105 into a fully analog Parasound P7 seven channel preamp. The video is run HDMI to the projector. The sound is noticeably better than any pre/pro I have ever tried. I will never go back. I think if more people would try the approach it could catch on.