Looking TO BUY A Cartridge for a Technics SL 1210: 2M Blue or Bronze, Super OM 30, Denon DL-110, AT 150 series (AT 150MLX or 150Sa), or AT 440 MLa, MlLb or new VM 540, etc?

nola

Looking TO BUY A Cartridge for a Technics SL 1210.

I also have a Technics 1800 TT, which seems to be a less fancy version of the 1200 series. If possible I would like to mount the cartridge on a headshell and simply detach and reattach the headshell/cartridge when changing turntables. Hopefully all of the alignments will be ok between TTs. I also have an Ortofon Blue on a Project TT. However, there is no headshell, and it cannot be moved without complete removal of cartridge.  I am happy with the sound. Currently all 3 TTs are in my small studio apt in the DC area. I would like to bring 1 TT back to NOLA by Mardi Gras. The Technics TTs came with many lower end cartridges, and the 2 TTs sound very similar. I use a Project Tube Box DS phono preamp. 

If someone has an appropriate cartridge (s) for sale, I am all ears. I am trying not to spend over $400 on this. I recently missed out on a 150MLX NOS for under $300.

Over the summer there were some very helpful responses to my Qs about which one to buy. Thank you to the Forum members.

Many, many choices out there. But I am thinking not to get a Shure nor a Denon 103 nor 110.

Over 90% of my vinyl is used and I fear that an Ortofon Black or similar ?fine line stylus might lead to way too many pops and cracks on my lesser quality records.

So what I "think" I am looking for might include the following:

2M Blue or maybe better, a Bronze, Super OM 30 (which I think should sound similar to the Bronze, but at a lower price), AT 150 series (AT 150MLX or 150Sa), or AT 440 MLa, MlLb or new VM 540, etc....... 

Thanks for considering my inquiry

From NOLA with love......

52 minutes ago, nola said:

I also have a Technics 1800 TT, which seems to be a less fancy version of the 1200 series. If possible I would like to mount the cartridge on a headshell and simply detach and reattach the headshell/cartridge when changing turntables. Hopefully all of the alignments will be ok between TTs. I also have an Ortofon Blue on a Project TT. However, there is no headshell, and it cannot be moved without complete removal of cartridge.  I am happy with the sound. Currently all 3 TTs are in my small studio apt in the DC area. I would like to bring 1 TT back to NOLA by Mardi Gras. The Technics TTs came with many lower end cartridges, and the 2 TTs sound very similar. I use a Project Tube Box DS phono preamp. 

If someone has an appropriate cartridge (s) for sale, I am all ears. I am trying not to spend over $400 on this. I recently missed out on a 150MLX NOS for under $300.

Over the summer there were some very helpful responses to my Qs about which one to buy. Thank you to the Forum members.

Many, many choices out there. But I am thinking not to get a Shure nor a Denon 103 nor 110.

Over 90% of my vinyl is used and I fear that an Ortofon Black or similar ?fine line stylus might lead to way too many pops and cracks on my lesser quality records.

So what I "think" I am looking for might include the following:

2M Blue or maybe better, a Bronze, Super OM 30 (which I think should sound similar to the Bronze, but at a lower price), AT 150 series (AT 150MLX or 150Sa), or AT 440 MLa, MlLb or new VM 540, etc....... 

Thanks for considering my inquiry

From NOLA with love......

you have know the compliance of the tone arm... 

https://www.vinylengine.com/tonearm_database.php

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dirtmudd said:

you have know the compliance of the tone arm... 

https://www.vinylengine.com/tonearm_database.php

and after you know the compliance

of your tonearm...

you can make a informative decision. I what cartridge fits

your needs....budget or sound wise ..

and after that you will need to know

how to set it up properly...

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/ttadjust.html

I hope this helps...

Thanks for the fast replies :)

The tonearm database link seems to be for setup, not for compliance, unless I missed something. But thx for the link regardless. I do have an overhang tool. ?52mm?

Model

Eff
length

O/H

O/S

Pivot
to spindle

Cartridge
weight

Arm
mass

VTA

MP

HS

Null
Technics SL-1210 thumbnailTechnics SL-1210

rate this tonearm
rate/review

Technics
SL-1210 mk2

-

-

-

-

-

58.8 / 113.5

I have very little knowledge via the net regarding a Denon 103r and no personal experience. There seemed to be more info re the Ortofons and ATs and the pricing seemed to be within my ballpark. Are these the Zu Audio retips or originals? I think the higher quality Zu Audio ones were tough to find and quite pricey. If I wrong, please feel free to educate or correct me. 

THX

42 minutes ago, nola said:

The tonearm database link seems to be for setup, not for compliance, unless I missed something. But thx for the link regardless. I do have an overhang tool. ?52mm?

Model

Eff
length

O/H

O/S

Pivot
to spindle

Cartridge
weight

Arm
mass

VTA

MP

HS

Null

rate this tonearm
rate/review

Technics
SL-1210 mk2

-

-

-

-

-

58.8 / 113.5

I have very little knowledge via the net regarding a Denon 103r and no personal experience. There seemed to be more info re the Ortofons and ATs and the pricing seemed to be within my ballpark. Are these the Zu Audio retips or originals? I think the higher quality Zu Audio ones were tough to find and quite pricey. If I wrong, please feel free to educate or correct me. 

THX

compliance = tonearm mass...high , med , and low compliance .

cartridge has to match tonearm compliance...

Wow, TWKH, quite an effort !!

Unfortunately, though this will likely help others, I do not know what to do with it.

But I will try to figure the calculations from the V E website calculator. I also found another place where the impedance of the wiring was part of the calculations needed for my Tube Box DS settings. All in all, this seemed quite complicated. In the end, one reply indicated that it was ok to mess around with the phono amp settings to find a pleasing sound. I have also called tech support for the Pro Ject phono amp and the man on the phone was quite nice.

16 hours ago, nola said:

Model

Eff
length

O/H

O/S

Pivot
to spindle

Cartridge
weight

Arm
mass

VTA

MP

HS

Null

rate this tonearm
rate/review

Technics
SL-1210 mk2

-

-

-

-

-

58.8 / 113.5

THX

this is what you missed

Specifications

Type: manual turntable

Drive method: direct drive

Motor: brushless DC motor

Control method: servo (mk1), quartz (mk2)

Platter: 330mm 1.75kg (mk1), 332mm 2kg (mk2)

Speeds: 33.33 and 45rpm

Wow and flutter: 0.03% WRMS (mk1), 0.025% WRMS (mk2)

Rumble: -70dB (mk1), -78dB (mk2)

Tonearm: universal

Effective length: 220mm (mk1), 230mm (mk2)

Overhang: 14mm (mk1), 15mm (mk2)

Effective mass: 12g (mk2)

Stylus pressure range: 0 to 4g (mk1), 0 to 2.5g (mk2)

4 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

this is what you missed

Specifications

Type: manual turntable

Drive method: direct drive

Motor: brushless DC motor

Control method: servo (mk1), quartz (mk2)

Platter: 330mm 1.75kg (mk1), 332mm 2kg (mk2)

Speeds: 33.33 and 45rpm

Wow and flutter: 0.03% WRMS (mk1), 0.025% WRMS (mk2)

Rumble: -70dB (mk1), -78dB (mk2)

Tonearm: universal

Effective length: 220mm (mk1), 230mm (mk2)

Overhang: 14mm (mk1), 15mm (mk2)

Stylus pressure range: 0 to 4g (mk1), 0 to 2.5g (mk2)

I also fall into this category

so don't laugh...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=75752

On 10/20/2017 at 2:55 PM, nola said:

@nola I think I have a Grado G2 mounted in a headshell which went on an old Technics TT, but I'm not sure what I have.  My recollection is it was mounted on an S type type arm.  I haven't looked at it for years but I think I know where it is.  

I'll dig it out if you think it might fit your application, let me know.

Thx for the effective mass of the ?tonearm at 12 grams

I think all the cartridges I listed should be ok on a Technics 1200 series or similar S shaped tonearm. 

I have no idea about the capacitance of the internal wiring and any external RCA cables (2 sets, into and from the phono preamp).

There appear to be a few web postings that adjustments at the level of the phono preamp can also alter and perhaps improve the overall sound of the system. These postings suggest that we should let our ears decide what sounds good to us, even if the values run different to manufacturer suggestions. Many postings urging very careful alignments etc as part of set up as well.

Suffice it to say that these calculations are useful where and the input data is available. But if your possible set up is outside the acceptable range (?9-11?), does additional weighting of the headshell or rear tonearm weight dial allow for suitable adjustments?

I have also taken a look at info regarding the AT OC9 ii and iii. These are Low Output MCs that should work with my Tube Box DS pre amp. Several postings that they sounded better than the AT 150MLX MM. Both of the OC9's are at or below $500 which is definitely a hard limit for me. It also limits me because I might need a second pre amp for the MC cartridge (1 for the DC area and 1 for New Orleans, assuming I carry the MC and headshell between locations). I have a low end MM usable preamp in NOLA, but it will not work with a MC.

As for the Grado G2, I could not find much info on it. I assume it is at least 30 years old. Perhaps it might also need a stylus replacement, if they are still stocked. I could not find a review of it, but web postings suggest it was well thought of in the past. So yes, I might be interested. Thank you.

Have a great Saturday night folks :)

I like that preamp @nola that's what I've got now too. Sweet sounding huh?

I don't quite get the difference with the samarium cobalt in the micro line AT-OC9ML/II and the neodymium magnet in the "special line" AT-OC9/III. The cobalt magnet is described as brittle when I looked it up, but not sure if the "wear and tear" of tracking an lp constitutes a threat to those magnets. Got an AT33PTG coming for my first moving coil cart. Armed with a tt that has all the adjustments offered this time I don't think this will go bad like when I tried the 150MLX a year ago on the old tt without VTA adjust available. It will probably take longer than ten minutes to set up though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nola said:

Thx for the effective mass of the ?tonearm at 12 grams

I think all the cartridges I listed should be ok on a Technics 1200 series or similar S shaped tonearm. 

I have no idea about the capacitance of the internal wiring and any external RCA cables (2 sets, into and from the phono preamp).

There appear to be a few web postings that adjustments at the level of the phono preamp can also alter and perhaps improve the overall sound of the system. These postings suggest that we should let our ears decide what sounds good to us, even if the values run different to manufacturer suggestions. Many postings urging very careful alignments etc as part of set up as well.

Suffice it to say that these calculations are useful where and the input data is available. But if your possible set up is outside the acceptable range (?9-11?), does additional weighting of the headshell or rear tonearm weight dial allow for suitable adjustments?

I have also taken a look at info regarding the AT OC9 ii and iii. These are Low Output MCs that should work with my Tube Box DS pre amp. Several postings that they sounded better than the AT 150MLX MM. Both of the OC9's are at or below $500 which is definitely a hard limit for me. It also limits me because I might need a second pre amp for the MC cartridge (1 for the DC area and 1 for New Orleans, assuming I carry the MC and headshell between locations). I have a low end MM usable preamp in NOLA, but it will not work with a MC.

As for the Grado G2, I could not find much info on it. I assume it is at least 30 years old. Perhaps it might also need a stylus replacement, if they are still stocked. I could not find a review of it, but web postings suggest it was well thought of in the past. So yes, I might be interested. Thank you.

Have a great Saturday night folks :)

it's the standard 1/2 inch mount..

it doesn't matter if it's  s , j , or straight

tonearm...in less it's a p-mount , or a b&o turntable....

4 hours ago, nola said:

It seems to me it was a well regarded cart in it's day.  Not TOTL but pretty good.  I think it is new in box, so new cart, new stylus.  I might have bought a couple of them, one to use and one as a backup.  I'll dig it out and post some pics.

If you decide you can use it I'll make you an offer you can't refuse.  :cool:

+++

EDIT@nolaI found the Grado in a jewel case.  I can't count all the mis-information I gave you.

First of all the cart is a Grado GL and it's used.  The needle isn't worn, it looks like it's been broken off.  I have no clue how that happened.  It's screw mounted in an adjustable shell that says ADC.  I have no idea what ADC is.  It plugs in via a round barrel with a small metal peg on top, 4 contacts.

The turntable was not a Technics but a JVC, a very basic model I'm sure.  Mounted in the JVC is an integrated one-piece blue headshell w/cart that says Stanton iTS and iTrack.  I can't tell how much wear is on the needle but at least it's not broken off like the Grado.  I have a spare needle for it but it doesn't look good to my untrained eyes.

I can take pics if you want but by my reckoning this stuff does not look very good. I was going to send you whatever I had for free but again it looks like low level stuff.  Sorry about that.  -Dave

What a high pressure salesperson you're not Dave, @wvu80.

There's no real hurry.  NOLA won't need a cartridge until he receives the Cyastat SN I'm sending, and then mixes up a batch of Reg Williamson PVA facial. ;)

This is is not a thread hi-jack, but more of a slight diversion, as NOLA did just request some Cyastat.  Dave do you spin vinyl?  If so, would you like some Cyastat?  If so, I'll send some as repayment for those banana plug adapters you sent me for my friend's h/k 730.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

It seems to me it was a well regarded cart in it's day.  Not TOTL but pretty good.  I think it is new in box, so new cart, new stylus.  I might have bought a couple of them, one to use and one as a backup.  I'll dig it out and post some pics.

If you decide you can use it I'll make you an offer you can't refuse.  :cool:

+++

EDIT@nolaI found the Grado in a jewel case.  I can't count all the mis-information I gave you.

First of all the cart is a Grado GL and it's used.  The needle isn't worn, it looks like it's been broken off.  I have no clue how that happened.  It's screw mounted in an adjustable shell that says ADC.  I have no idea what ADC is.  It plugs in via a round barrel with a small metal peg on top, 4 contacts.

The turntable was not a Technics but a JVC, a very basic model I'm sure.  Mounted in the JVC is an integrated one-piece blue headshell w/cart that says Stanton iTS and iTrack.  I can't tell how much wear is on the needle but at least it's not broken off like the Grado.  I have a spare needle for it but it doesn't good to my untrained eyes.

I can take pics if you want but by my reckoning this stuff does not look very good. I was going to send you whatever I had for free but again it looks like low level stuff.  Sorry about that.  -Dave

you can make offers that I can't refuse too !