Wood experts - Drying 2x4 fir wood in the desert

tigerwoodKhorns

I wondered if that was what you meant as I faced the same type of situation when I built my house. I knew I wanted wood sills and aprons under my windows and I thought that meant the  frame had to be wood also. But my drywaller and finish carpenter both assured me to do the sides and top with drywall and just the bottoms with wood in the window frames that were to be painted. In the more formal part of the house I did wood on all 4 sides but this is not painted just finished in natural cherry. The finish carpenter did the frames of those windows with cherry veneered MDF.

On 10/21/2017 at 9:04 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

A lot of places closed during the recession. 

I buy 2 x 4's at the Home Depot, but will try Lowes. 

Peterman Lumber is one of the few places for hardwood, but finding long straight pieces is difficult.  I did but a lot of poplar there to make door jams, but had to plane it. 

Okay... so you did try Peterman, that's where I was going to suggest going. There is another place right next to Peterman but I can't remember the name off hand.

18 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Is 84 still there?  

I just checked, they are here.  I have never been there and rarely make it to that part of town.  Peterman has been my go to for nicer wood, but I did use another company when I bought a load of rough cut mahogany.  They were less expensive but I need to bring a chop saw next time.  14' boards.  I forget the name. 

OK, I bought a dozen 2x3's at Home Depot.  Marked "KD HT" but I read that this is about 18% moisture.  They will lose moisture here.  I have them in a bedroom with books on top.  Will let go through the winter.  If this works, and they plane down nicely, this will be a great solution for a bunch of trimming projects that I have planned.