Let's Go Yankees.....

jimjimbo

What is it about the Dodgers @BigStewMan and @joshnich to cause such animosity?  I'm not suggesting you aren't entitled to hate the Dodgers, just curious about why.

I can take 'em or leave 'em.  The two things that pop to mind are Kirk Gibson's homer off Dennis Eckersley, who then coined the term "walk-off" and Magic Johnson's ownership interest.  Those are two prominent Spartans.

Nevertheless, I'll be pulling for the Colt 45s, I mean the Astros.

Not sure about @joshnich but i’m originally from the Bay Area. I grew up thinking i was an Oakland A’s fan until they met in the World Series and I found myself rooting for the Giants.  My Pops died when i was eight, and one of the few memories that i have is him sitting on our patio, with the newspaper, a bottle of Coke, and the Giants game on the radio. All of that came to the surface during that World Series and I’ve been a Giant ever since. 

My Aunt tells me that when i was a few years old, my Dad would say the first name of a Giants player and i would say the last name.  They laughed because when it came to Juan Marichal, he’d say “juan” and I’d say “two."

And of course, in the Bay Area, a child’s first words are “Mommy,” “Daddy,” and “Hate Dodgers."

Besides, the best player EVER played in The City ... Willie Mays.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Not sure about @joshnich but i’m originally from the Bay Area. I grew up thinking i was an Oakland A’s fan until they met in the World Series and I found myself rooting for the Giants.  My Pops died when i was eight, and one of the few memories that i have is him sitting on our patio, with the newspaper, a bottle of Coke, and the Giants game on the radio. All of that came to the surface during that World Series and I’ve been a Giant ever since. 

My Aunt tells me that when i was a few years old, my Dad would say the first name of a Giants player and i would say the last name.  They laughed because when it came to Juan Marichal, he’d say “juan” and I’d say “two."

And of course, in the Bay Area, a child’s first words are “Mommy,” “Daddy,” and “Hate Dodgers."

Yes I am from the Bay Area. I was actually born in New York state but I have lived in the Bay Area for 61 years so I consider myself a native! Grew up a Giants fan and as such have a visceral reaction to anything Dodger. And yes the best ball player of all time is Willie Mays. And I to hate that video. The best part of that at bat was when it happened the national broadcast showed the parking lot and it was filled with cars leaving. Who leaves a World Series game in the 9th inning? Dodger fans, that's who!

• Like 2

• Moderators
20 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Same in LA you are raised to hate the Giants and (then) the 49ers.

We lived in Bay Area, and LA area growing up.  Started going go games when we were living in LA so Dodger and former Rams fan. When we moved back to Bar Area it was easier to be an A's and Raider fan.  The heyday of both of those teams.

• Like 1

And of course, I am the result of a completely different set of childhood baseball experiences. My father was an expatriate from Brooklyn, and my first memory as a human being is being 3 years old and sitting on our living room floor next to him, watching as Johnny Podres pitched the Brooklyn Dodgers to a win (over the Yankees) in the 7th game of the 1955 World Series. I spent the 1960s following the exploits of Koufax, Drysdale, Wills, the Davis boys and many others. I remember the Dodgers sweeping the Yankees in 1963 (limiting the Yanks to 4 runs over the entire 4 games), which was one of the last sweet events to happen before Camelot came crashing down on November 22nd. I also remember Marachal hitting Roseboro on the head with his bat during the summer of 1965, and Koufax running towards the plate with his left arm (his pitching arm) outstretched.

In spite of the Marachal/Roseboro incident (for which Roseboro publicly forgave Marachal, helping him to be elected into the Hall of Fame), I must admit that I don't reciprocate BigStweMan's and joshnich's Dodgers/Giants rivalry hatred. My true baseball enemy is the Yankees, a hatred born of watching them beat the Dodgers two years running ('77 and '78). I went to games at Dodger Stadium in each of those series (we lost the game in '77 and won the game in '78). Reggie Jackson hitting those 3 homers in game 6 in '77 (and holding up 3 fingers to the TV camera) sealed the deal on my hatred. 1981 was only partial revenge, since that season was split in two by the players strike, which gives it an asterisk in my book. So even though I'll thoroughly enjoy beating Houston this week, I still want ultimate revenge by beating the Yankees in the World Series after a regular season.

Oh, and during the dozens of games I've attended at Dodger Stadium, I've never ever left before the final out. 

• Like 1

I loved Reggie and for the 70s and 80s, whatever team Reggie was on -- i liked them.

In a baseball league for 13, 14, and 15 year olds -- I had a green Reggie Jackson bat that i used to start one year. I went 5 for 5. Two Hrs and three singles. The fifth hit, a wimpy single, broke the bat. Got the bat back in the era where they had “Bat Days” at the ballpark.  I went to one at the Oakland Coliseum.

Was sitting at a red light in Newport Beach one day and looked over and Reggie was next to me in a Porsche (he was playing for the California Angels at that time).

• Like 1

Just saw this post. Since it's a moot point with the Astros taking the pennant, I too will say I was looking forward to a Dodgers / Yankees series. Growing up in Santa Barbara and then Palos Verdes in California, the Dodgers were my team. And what fosters that great NY, LA rivalry for me, was being in grade school and having the teacher bring in the TV so we could watch the game. I guess prime time wasn't a concern in those days as it seemed the world pretty much stopped for the series even in the middle of the day, and watching that black and white screen with the Dodgers and Yankees on the battleground is a deeply, and fondly etched memory. 

Just now, BigStewMan said:

lived there for a few weeks back in the 80s.  Point Vicente Lighthouse property. Beautiful view.

Yes you did! I lived in Lunada Bay on the hill on the way to Peninsula Center. Went to PV High. Both the house and the school had a killer view as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Marine Land of the Pacific, anyone remember that?

Interned there when I was a sophomore at PV High. Helped bring in the first captured Orca. It died. They should have made note of that and stopped there, but that's another story. If you're into marine life and Orca's in particular, watch the movie 'Blackfish'. 

38 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Got the bat back in the era where they had “Bat Days” at the ballpark. 

Yeah, they stopped that when fans started using them in fights. Now they give coupons for a bat. They even discontinued ball day at Dodger stadium after the crowd got so mad at an ump's call they started throwing their baseballs onto the field, and the umps made the Dodgers forfeit the game due to safety concerns for the umps and visiting players.

That's why we can never have anything nice...

• Like 1