Sony STR-DH770

gnilrets

I'm having trouble finding comparable specifications, would the Sony STR-DH770 be powerful enough to properly drive the speakers in the Reference Premiere RP-250 home theater system offered through Klipsch?

(https://www.sony.com/electronics/av-receivers/str-dh770#product_details_default)

Welcome.

You'll want to look at an AVR that provides better quality parts and better quality power.  I highly advise you look at Denon, Marantz and Onkyo if cost is an issue.  Sony's, excluding the ES units, are not known for their dependability or their quality - unfortunately.

What is your budget?  We might be able to help.

Movies?  Music?  Atmos? 4K?

The Sony is not a bad avr.  I should have enough power and has some nice features.  I have one that is 5.1 and had my RF 7 system on it.  It was lower wattage than the one listed.  It is still powering my living room system after 10+ years. Sony does not get much praise around here but, that does not mean it is a bad avr.  My comparison of the Sony is to a Flagship Onkyo, and two Pioneer Elite Flagship avr's.

• Like 1

I own the DH 550. I am pretty pleased with it. Sony cut costs in all the right places. The receiver is incredibly basic and basically offers little more than decoding, switching, and amplifying. It should do about 68w per channel into 8 ohms, Klipsch speakers are incredibly easy to drive, but if I were you, I’d stretch your budget just a bit more and go with a Denon or onkyo entry level receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Depending on how you use your system it may be absolutely fine for now. It should drive your system fine at moderate to moderate loud levels. If you are one that likes to crank things through the ceiling you will want to migrate to a more powerful unit. I use a Marantz which has always been more than up to the job. I don’t run at theatre level volumes because a. I find that to loud for my enjoyment and b. I live in a condo tower and such volumes would be pushing it. One of many nice things about Klipsch is how utterly clear and defined they are across the volume spectrum.