How many home theaters here are still stuck in the DVD ages?

Kain

Just wondering how many people have home theaters here that are still stuck in the DVD ages? Mine is. I set it up in the early 2000s and never updated the TV (it is an SD plasma), A/V receiver, disc player, etc. to support Blu-ray or 4K Blu-ray. I can only watch DVDs on it. I fear I may be the only one here with everyone at least on standard (non-4K) Blu-ray.

I still have a big DVD collection... heck, I still have a large part of my laser disk collection.

As more and more DVD movies get released on bluray I watch less and less dvd's... but some are just not available on bluray.

On my Oppo, dvds look great.

• Like 1

I'm right there with you in the early 2000's. I think I finished my room in 2004 and have all the same equipment in the AV chain Denon 3910 DVD player, Sunfire TG IV processor and Panasonic 700 projector. The processor does not have HDMI the DVD and projector do. 7.1 is going strong. I agree with the statement that a lot of the movie experience is the sound. About two weeks ago I replaced the bulb in the projector that helped a bit.

As long as you are having fun, who cares. Enjoy!

• Moderators

DVD on a smaller screen isn’t super bad.  The larger your image, the more you will notice how bad DVD looks.  DVD on my 150” looks like garbage compared to Blu-ray.  If it doesn’t bother you, no “need” to change.  Blu-ray players are super cheap though so I would suggest at least trying one to see if it makes a significant improvement.  Might not with a 42” TV.

1 hour ago, rplace said:

I'm right there with you in the early 2000's. I think I finished my room in 2004 and have all the same equipment in the AV chain Denon 3910 DVD player, Sunfire TG IV processor and Panasonic 7000 projector. The processor does not have HDMI the DVD and projector do. 7.1 is going strong. I agree with the statement that a lot of the movie experience is the sound. About two weeks ago I replaced the bulb in the projector that helped a bit.

As long as you are having fun, who cares. Enjoy!

Do you buy DVDs of the latest movies? I assume you too don't have a Blu-ray Disc player?

By the way, for how much longer do you guys think they will still sell DVDs of the latest movies? Any idea when they might stop producing them?

5 hours ago, Kain said:

Do you buy DVDs of the latest movies? I assume you too don't have a Blu-ray Disc player?

By the way, for how much longer do you guys think they will still sell DVDs of the latest movies? Any idea when they might stop producing them?

Same as the Tape to DVD conversion. When they stop renting or selling. The Market always decides..................HD DVD anyone?????? Thought not.

Glad Blue Ray won that battle. I had a 10 foot screen with DLP projector, but I sold it to an ex when we split, since I moved back to smaller space. Now 55" will wait a bit longer for 4K, but full 2K/HD/1080P looks so good, even at 10 ft, that it's hard to justify the expense to 4K, just to be able to see pores on face and tight weave on clothes. 4K video is about 9 Megapixels and I earned most of my living as a still photographer with less than that, producing print on my 44" Epson printer. Sound quality on 4K is about the same, and it's way more important to me than more megapixels on a DLP.

• Like 1

Not "stuck" per say, but we've still got a few DVD's that we occasionally rotate through. As was said, some titles (like good documentaries and such) simply aren't available outside of DVD or even VHS for that matter.

We have a healthy collection of Blu-Ray, and from what I gather recently we're supposedly Luddites in the face of the streaming/cloud era.

DVD was/is plenty for a TV sized less than 50". If you don't believe me, just find an 'ol SUPERBIT formatted copy and A/B that directly against Blu-Ray.

The real upgrade for BR for me was the loss-less audio....which the execs quickly F**k'd up by sending everything off to DTS for re-mastering. The real audio treasures of today are the discs encoded in Dolby True / ATMOS.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kain said:

I have a blu-ray player in my living room where my 55" TV is with a Denon AVR. Noting killer but some Klipsch THX in walls and reference surrounds. I've bought a few BR discs but don't buy too many these days. Sad to say about 1/3 our movie watching is there versus a 7.1 dedicated room with all Heritage speakers. 100% of anything on HBO or the like is in the livingroom. I don't have cable available in my area (live out in the country) so the only options is Dish/DirecTV and a receiver in the bedroom and living room is enough.

I think DVDs will be produced for a long time. If I had to guess at least another 4-5 years but just pulling that number out of my a$$. I'd have more concern that nothing will be produced on a disc you can buy Everything will be streamed and cloud offerings. No production of media, no shipping, no returns no overstock to be sold off at a loss. All bits over an electronic pipe.

7 hours ago, Youthman said:

Blu-ray players are super cheap though so I would suggest at least trying one to see if it makes a significant improvement.  Might not with a 42” TV.

Agree.  I try to watch movies in BD whenever possible.

I have a big, GIGANTIC 5-disc DVD player but I haven't used it for years.  I use a Sony BD player w/internet ($100) and it makes my Dumb TV into a Smart TV.   I am committed to cutting cables whenever possible so I have HDMI for everything I can.  RCA was a great technology for the last century.

Considering I've had this setup since 2003-2004, I'm contemplating a complete re-do. Here's what I've planned (a projector is not on the cards due to room layout and size):

TV: Sony KD-65A1 (European version of US model Sony XBR-65A1E)

Ultra HD Blu-ray player: OPPO UDP-203

Processor: Anthem AVM 60

Amplifiers: ATI AT523NC (3 x 200 watts Class D for LCR) + ATI AT528NC (8 x 200 watts Class D for side surrounds, back surrounds, and ceilings)

Mains: 2 x Klipsch RF-7 III

Center: 1 x Klipsch RC-64 III

Side surrounds: 2 x Klipsch RP-250S

Back surrounds: 2 x Klipsch RP-250S

Ceiling: 4 x Klipsch Pro KPT-801 (have a concrete ceiling and cannot use in-ceiling speakers)

Subwoofer: *continue using my single Seaton Sound SubMersive and maybe add more later on*

Room size is roughly 15 ft long x 12 ft wide x 9.5 ft high.

By the way, how much could I sell my current RF-7, RC-7, and RS-7 speakers for? They are in good condition but some of the grille "tabs" for the RF-7s are broken but the grille still stays on perfectly. Scratches are at a minimum. The vinyl on the RS-7s is starting to peel off at some of the edges. I replaced one of the woofers in the RC-7 as it was blown some years back. I used an original replacement woofer. Overall, the speakers sound great and have no issues in sound reproduction.

1 hour ago, Kain said:

Considering I've had this setup since 2003-2004, I'm contemplating a complete re-do. Here's what I've planned (a projector is not on the cards due to room layout and size): (respectful snip! I just wanted to reference your post)

I don't know if you are asking for opinions on your upgrade plans, but here's my observations. 

I like everything you've laid out.  It will be a fantastic sounding setup, great audio, great video.  You already have a great system, and as for your obviously well thought-out plan, don't change a thing! 

Good stuff.  :cool:

13 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I don't know if you are asking for opinions on your upgrade plans, but here's my observations. 

I like everything you've laid out.  It will be a fantastic sounding setup, great audio, great video.  You already have a great system, and as for your obviously well thought-out plan, don't change a thing! 

Good stuff.  :cool:

Thanks.

Any idea how much I could sell my pair of RF-7s, a single RC-7, and a pair of RS-7s for? A ballpark price is fine.

17 minutes ago, Kain said:

Thanks.

Any idea how much I could sell my pair of RF-7s, a single RC-7, and a pair of RS-7s for? A ballpark price is fine.

Well, hard to say since your location is Dubai.:unsure::P

In the US, maybe $600.00, $325.00, and $375.00?

Bill

• Like 1