How many home theaters here are still stuck in the DVD ages?

Kain

2 minutes ago, willland said:

Well, hard to say since your location is Dubai.:unsure::P

In the US, maybe $600.00, $325.00, and $375.00?

Bill

Thanks.

That's pretty much what I had in mind. :)

Prices are quite the same when it comes to audio equipment between the US and Dubai. Only issue is that the market for speakers is not very big here unlike the US. I might have an issue finding a buyer. Audiophiles are hard to come by in Dubai. :(

2 hours ago, Kain said:

Thanks.

Any idea how much I could sell my pair of RF-7s, a single RC-7, and a pair of RS-7s for? A ballpark price is fine.

:unsure: Umm....If I were you I would keep those in place and upgrade everything else!

Insofar as DVD's are concerned, I do have a 4K HDR setup but still primarily listen to DVD-As/SACDs and have a ton of concert videos on DVD that I enjoy and don't miss the video upgrade because the music is so good. ;) 

I'm not into the latest-greatest of anything but I did buy the wife a 49" Sony XBR 4K HDR Hemorrhoid TV a few months ago and to give 4K its due it is much brighter and more colorful than my 3-4 year old 60" Vizio smart TV, which ain't no slouch itself. We have cable and just cancelled Netflix, I prefer to rent BR discs from Redbox on occasion personally. I'm not sure 4K is worth chunking a perfectly good 1080P TV for but 4K does upscale well and prices are down. While watching college football on the 4K set I have noticed that watching the Crimson Tide kicking everyone else's a$$ seems to be just a little more enjoyable. 

5 minutes ago, T2K said:

While watching college football on the 4K set I have noticed that watching the Crimson Tide kicking everyone else's a$$ seems to be just a little more enjoyable. 

Glad to see you have something productive taking up your time--I watch live webcams of favorite spots and then take virtual trips on YouTube visiting those same places. :) Gotta admit I've found that I've rustled some feathers in the old place but discussions with you have always been enjoyable and entertaining. I hope you are well. 

2 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

I hope you are well. 

Thanks for that. I feel Blessed to be alive. I don't really watch much regular TV, prefer a good movie instead. I'm like Jeff in that I don't really feel that the country is as screwed up as it seems sometimes. But I am concerned for others for some reason. I don't know why. Maybe it's a deep seated belief or the interpretation of a book I once read. Who knows.

I do miss the old BS section. I don't do much business here anymore.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, T2K said:

I do miss the old BS section. I don't do much business here anymore

Most Lounge section banter I'm not interested in and those that I do get involved seem to get closed down--I almost brought back up one of those pro "open carry" threads they let stay open but I knew where that discussion would lead as well.

7 minutes ago, T2K said:

I'm like Jeff in that I don't really feel that the country is as screwed up as it seems sometimes

That's what made the old place so fun--We all had different opinions but even sometimes someone would agree with Jeff. ;) 

4 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

:unsure: Umm....If I were you I would keep those in place and upgrade everything else!

Insofar as DVD's are concerned, I do have a 4K HDR setup but still primarily listen to DVD-As/SACDs and have a ton of concert videos on DVD that I enjoy and don't miss the video upgrade because the music is so good. ;) 

True. Another option that I am looking at (and one that probably makes more sense) is to upgrade the TV, processor, amp, and disc player.

Thinking of the following:

TV: Sony KD-55X9300E (55")

4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player: OPPO UDP-203

Processor: Anthem AVM 60

Amplifier: Parasound Halo A 51

I'll keep the current speakers and the subwoofer. Not only will I upgrade the video part but the audio part as well since I'll be getting separates this time around.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Blu-ray and DVD's, 65" 4K Tv but never tried anything 4K, but it does upconvert for a better picture and does seem to help. 

6.1 and no intention to improve anything in sight, for now. To us the picture looks great especially in BR, and the sound is amazing.

7 hours ago, dtel said:

Blu-ray and DVD's, 65" 4K Tv but never tried anything 4K, but it does upconvert for a better picture and does seem to help. 

6.1 and no intention to improve anything in sight, for now. To us the picture looks great especially in BR, and the sound is amazing.

Don't try 4k then as you will never wanna go back to 1080P.

All my DVD's are 1080 and Crossroads are the kind of DVD's that I watch and hardly view any movies. I shut off the side and rear speakers also. So if I went to 4K I would have to junk everything and start over. They don't have any affordable 21 x 9 TV's so I am in a static mode.

JJK