R-115S in Frys Stores for $489

Youthman

• Moderators

Whaaaaat...?!

I don't need one of these.  But it would sure match up nicely to my newly acquired LCR!

My SVS Ultra SB13 seems to work well enough. Certainly does a better job than the RF-7II when I set the x-over at 80hz.  

But but, the 115sw is ported (good match for the RF7ii), and and and...gah.  I can't justify it :D

Maybe I could put the 115sw in front, move the SB13 to the back.  nah, matching ported with sealed would be more of a task than I'm willing to undertake.  Don't have the equipment or patience.  

Tell me not to run to Fry's tomorrow...

14 hours ago, bkevind said:

Whaaaaat...?!

I don't need one of these.  But it would sure match up nicely to my newly acquired LCR!

My SVS Ultra SB13 seems to work well enough. Certainly does a better job than the RF-7II when I set the x-over at 80hz.  

But but, the 115sw is ported (good match for the RF7ii), and and and...gah.  I can't justify it :D

Maybe I could put the 115sw in front, move the SB13 to the back.  nah, matching ported with sealed would be more of a task than I'm willing to undertake.  Don't have the equipment or patience.  

Tell me not to run to Fry's tomorrow...

13 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Run to Fry's tomorrow.

We believe in you!  B)

1 hour ago, dtr20 said:

You can do it! Go go go go go run run run run run

I'm thinking to pass on this sub.  All signs point to it  being a very capable sub, especially for <500.  But I don't think it will play well with my arguably better all around SB13-Ultra.  The 115sw may do some things better but overall will not likely compete.  If I had a place to put an extra sub I'd go for it.  My garage needs are already sated with a capable Outlaw LFM1 I picked up for $80.  The office is small and is quite nicely filled with good musical bass by a SB1000.

It makes more sense for me to go towards the light - staying in the sealed category (my preference).  In interest of matching things up, I'm thinking of adding a SB16, or SB13 to my existing SB13.

Now I can imagine 4 of the 115sw, especially @ $500 each (can't do that with the Fry's deal) would be a decent way to spend $2k for bass.  Add a bit more for good bass management system to even out the response in the room.  

43 minutes ago, bkevind said:

I'm thinking to pass on this sub.  All signs point to it  being a very capable sub, especially for <500.  But I don't think it will play well with my arguably better all around SB13-Ultra.  The 115sw may do some things better but overall will not likely compete.  If I had a place to put an extra sub I'd go for it.  My garage needs are already sated with a capable Outlaw LFM1 I picked up for $80.  The office is small and is quite nicely filled with good musical bass by a SB1000.

It makes more sense for me to go towards the light - staying in the sealed category (my preference).  In interest of matching things up, I'm thinking of adding a SB16, or SB13 to my existing SB13.

Now I can imagine 4 of the 115sw, especially @ $500 each (can't do that with the Fry's deal) would be a decent way to spend $2k for bass.  Add a bit more for good bass management system to even out the response in the room.  

a dollar saved is a dollar earned..

for a deal on what you need...

1 hour ago, dirtmudd said:

a dollar saved is a dollar earned..

for a deal on what you need...

True words.  Key for me is lack of need for this particular savings.  So in fact it just becomes a superfluous spend.  Yet I'm willing to spend >1k for a matching sub to what I have (or the improved version) :D  I can explain why but then I'll just further derail this thread.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bkevind said:

True words.  Key for me is lack of need for this particular savings.  So in fact it just becomes a superfluous spend.  Yet I'm willing to spend >1k for a matching sub to what I have (or the improved version) :D  I can explain why but then I'll just further derail this thread.

What I can't wrap my head around is that I've seen Klipsch representatives say this sub performs better than my RSW-15, but so far they are the only ones I've seen make that claim and would like to have an independent opinion from someone who has both---Anyone? 

Btw, if I found a NIB RSW-15 for $500 I would grab that deal in a heartbeat! 

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

What I can't wrap my head around is that I've seen Klipsch representatives say this sub performs better than my RSW-15, but so far they are the only ones I've seen make that claim and would like to have an independent opinion from someone who has both---Anyone? 

I haven't heard that myself.  From my understanding, Klipsch hasn't produced a Reference speaker that actually replaced the RSW-15.  The Palladium sub might best it but I'm not sure as I have not heard one myself.

15 hours ago, Youthman said:

22 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

I haven't heard that myself.  From my understanding, Klipsch hasn't produced a Reference speaker that actually replaced the RSW-15. 

I realize that but what I am reporting was written on this forum by JayL : 

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2014 at 7:54 PM, Jay L said:

If you really like the RSW-15, I urge you to try the new R-115SW. It will go toe to toe with the elder beast. I would even say it sounds better in a musical sense.

I am biased though as I was completely entrenched in all the new subwoofers released this fall. This coming from a person that owns two "modified" RSW-15s.

To answer the original thread title, I will respond by saying "we are listening to your cries". :)

Fwiw, if you follow the link above it also has some more of his comments as well as your kind offer to take some photos.  

2 hours ago, Youthman said:

That’s great to know that they are comparative.  Didn’t realize that.

Ironically I just realized that the linked thread ends pretty much with you addressing the same comment you did here : :) 

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2014 at 1:27 PM, Zen Traveler said:

Having both the RSW-12 and RSW-15 in working order I'm really not in the market for a sub but definitely would be curious if someone owned the RSW-15 and needed a second sub to hear their opinion.

I admit I am almost tempted to go to Frys and purchase the R-115s to compare but I don't need another sub....That said, if the R-115s is comparable to the RSW-15 as Jay was stating then for $500 is there a sub in the internet market that can compete? Seriously. I have heard an SVS that was similar but it was over $1,000 and that was several years ago. 

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

That said, if the R-115s is comparable to the RSW-15 as Jay was stating then for $500 is there a sub in the internet market that can compete? Seriously. I have heard an SVS that was similar but it was over $1,000 and that was several years ago. 

Agreed.  If it is even close to comparing to the RSW-15, at $500 for a NIB with warranty sub, it's a no brainer for someone looking for a 15" sub.