Wussification My Way - Vasovagal Syncope

Jeff Matthews

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_syncope

All my life, sometimes when I hurt myself, such as twisting an ankle, I tend to get faint.  One time around 2009, I actually woke up in the front yard after twisting my ankle.

This morning, I was drawing the 3-point line with chalk before starting our Sat. morning basketball game, and I pinched a nerve in my back.  The shock of it triggered a fainting spell.  I go over to a pole (covered top court) to hang on and let it pass.  It gets worse.  I know It's getting ready to be lights-out, and so I try to lay down real fast.  Too late!  I didn't make it.  The next thing I know I am waking up surrounded by 4 of my friends who were there with me, trying to get me to respond.  I had no clue when or where I was for a second, until I came to.  They say I was out for about 20-seconds.  I sit for a few minutes, sweating profusely and telling the guys, "I've done this all my life."  They are worried and asking about hospitals and such.  I get up; my back hurts.  I feel pain from falling on my shoulder and face (when you faint, you don't put your hands out to cushion the fall).  I drink some water.  I'm going to pass out again.  I lay down and sleep for a few more seconds.  Everyone is kind of worried.  

I'm home and okay, now.  My back feels better.  It's tender, but I have good motion in all directions.  I think actually, my shoulder is worse than my back.  No basketball today.  Go Longhorns!

I'm getting one of these:

Slide1-1500.png?t=1495661734

• Like 1

sorry about that Jeff.  I’ve only passed out once in my life -- about six months ago.  Was standing in the bathroom and started feeling odd. i worried about passing out so i figured i’d get out of the bathroom just in case. I remember taking about two steps and the next thing i remember, i was face down in the hallway.  No idea how long i was out. 

15 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

And I can't imagine that you are of the opinion that this isn't going to happen again????  Dude, see a doc.  That's not good.

Actually, I am quite sure it will happen again.  Been that way all my life. 

Still, I am going in for a wellness exam where they test all the stuff for common issues with aging (drawing blood, urine, etc.).  I haven't had one in a good while.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Still, I am going in for a wellness exam where they test all the stuff for common issues with aging (drawing blood, urine, etc.).  I haven't had one in a good while.  

Dang man.  Is intense, acute pain the only trigger?

1 hour ago, dwilawyer said:

Dang man.  Is intense, acute pain the only trigger?

Yes.  For me, usually an ankle sprain (haven't done that in a while, knock on wood).  I got faint when I had a broken wrist in high school.  Once getting a shot in Junior High.  I'm fine with shots so long as they don't jab me.  I got jabbed that time.  Only twice have I gone completely out cold.  Once in 2009 from an ankle sprain and then, yesterday from pinching a nerve in my lower back.

3 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

You'll be OK. That's the way life is. You're as healthy as a horse and then one day everything goes to h*ll. Aging is good. Much better than the alternative.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Yes.  For me, usually an ankle sprain (haven't done that in a while, knock on wood).  I got faint when I had a broken wrist in high school.  Once getting a shot in Junior High.  I'm fine with shots so long as they don't jab me.  I got jabbed that time.  Only twice have I gone completely out cold.  Once in 2009 from an ankle sprain and then, yesterday from pinching a nerve in my lower back.

I once got ran over by a truck while walking across the street.  It hurt ... a lot.  I guess you’d still be passed it.  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Blood test results are in, and my figures are in the preferred ranges for all measurements.  That's even better than my previous test some years back when it revealed my cholesterol was a tad on the high side. :)

Well then, I think you need your prostate checked again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:
6 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Blood test results are in, and my figures are in the preferred ranges for all measurements.  That's even better than my previous test some years back when it revealed my cholesterol was a tad on the high side. :)

Well then, I think you need your prostate checked again.

You'll have to move your nose out of the way, so they can see what they're doing.

• Like 1