New to Forum

Tim Sr.

Hello everyone, from Iowa. I have been reading through much of the current postings and this seems like a good group of people.

I will receive my Klipsch speakers on Tuesday, and at this time, can not really give much info on them. It was a deal that one can not walk away from. No matter what model or year. I know that Klipsch speakers are the better choice especially for tube amps, and that is the issue I was facing in the near future, of what speaker to build/buy. Then a neighbor mentions he wants to sell/get rid of some old speakers, so I had to look. 12" woofer, Large mid horn (Squawker) I guess that's what its called, and smaller tweeter horn, cabinets slanted to the floor, wedge base, and barrier strip terminals on the back. The front covers are removable, but that was all the time we had to get a good look at these. I figured I couldn't go wrong so on that one short observation told him Ill take em. From what I have seen on the internet they look like Heresy or Heresy I.

So, paid for, take delivery Tuesday and Ill be the new owner of a pair of Klipsch. Sadly the amp wont be finished much before March if all goes well. But till then Ill find a way to drive them.

Also I am sure that they are going to need to be recapped, so will want to hear what everyone thinks on Capacitor brands.

So that is my hello here.

Tim

Edited by harlantk
  • Like 5

Welcome abaord fellow Iowan.  What sector of our corny state might you be from?

Those certainly are Heresy I's - I have a pair of them myself.  You won't be disappointed.

As for caps - there are a few things you can do.  I've encountered Sonicap's and that tends to be what I've seen resolders use.  Bob Crites builds crossovers that you can drop in pretty easily too.  Think I paid $200 on mine.

• Like 1

Hey welcome....you will need to re-cap them. I also re-enforced the back panel on mine from the inside and also put some foam seal tape around it to seal it better. Also loosen and retighten all the crossover connections. I made some new grills for mine to change the color to what AR and Advent use to use. I like the look I plan to get some BS buttons and putting on those grills..lol That button on there now was given to me by Paul himself....

lIMAG0307.thumb.jpg.6474ee610088eb0ecaa72704574bedc0.jpg

• Like 2

Well what a nice and warm welcome here, thank you!

The History Kid: Eastern Iowa, Davenport meaning I have to claim City Kid LOL, but with Farming experience too :)

ricktate: I have a lot to learn yet on what these were from factory, once I can grab a serial # and start the research, Ill be sniffing out things like this button or other missing decorations. I am sure the connections all have oxidized, and yes that will be taken are of.

Peter P.: Yes I agree with testing the caps as well, no need to change them "if" they meet the specs off of and under load. I can do some vigorous testing for sure and since I plan to keep as original as possible, this will be part of the process.

willland, Bill: I am hoping that the previous owner has not done anything to these,  so that I can assess  little details of the original build, but yes we will see soon. Cabinets looked like original finish at least with all the grit,grime and dings in place, so a really good cleaning will be first order, then evaluation of ding damage.

Ceptorman: I'll admit I am much more comfortable within the madness, and do feel rather empty  when away from it :) so hopefully I will fit in here. Now about these pictures... I guess I will have to choose carefully what ones I shall post, since I will be taking a few while seeing to the restoration.

So the plan is to get em here, take initial as found pictures, do a cleaning, begin careful disassembly, measure all components for integrity, and then develop a plan for the restorations.

I am hoping to bring these to the factory release condition, and I will add rubber seals where necessary that can be removed with no modifications to the cabinets.

Over Kill for what they probably are, but is how I am. Comes from Violin restorations, and the rules we have to work by. Never change the makers work, bring it forth to be admires!

I am excited of course because I love a good project.

Again THANK YOU for such a nice welcome

Tim

Edited by harlantk
forgetfullness
  • Like 1

Tim.....very nice response. It sounds like you have a well planned out restoration process. 

I'm sure I am speaking for others as well, your violin restoration knowledge sounds interesting, there are quite a few musicians on here, and many would appreciate a fine musical instrument. Pics of that work would be great also :D

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, harlantk said:

Hello everyone, from Iowa. I have been reading through much of the current postings and this seems like a good group of people.

I will receive my Klipsch speakers on Tuesday, and at this time, can not really give much info on them. It was a deal that one can not walk away from. No matter what model or year. I know that Klipsch speakers are the better choice especially for tube amps, and that is the issue I was facing in the near future, of what speaker to build/buy. Then a neighbor mentions he wants to sell/get rid of some old speakers, so I had to look. 12" woofer, Large mid horn (Squawker) I guess that's what its called, and smaller tweeter horn, cabinets slanted to the floor, wedge base, and barrier strip terminals on the back. The front covers are removable, but that was all the time we had to get a good look at these. I figured I couldn't go wrong so on that one short observation told him Ill take em. From what I have seen on the internet they look like Heresy or Heresy I.

So, paid for, take delivery Tuesday and Ill be the new owner of a pair of Klipsch. Sadly the amp wont be finished much before March if all goes well. But till then Ill find a way to drive them.

Also I am sure that they are going to need to be recapped, so will want to hear what everyone thinks on Capacitor brands.

So that is my hello here.

Tim

Welcome to the forum!  Thanks for saying hello. 

• Like 1

Wow, I like this place! Lot of thought and response.

Ceptorman: I imagine images of the violin work will creep there way into the photos I post of the restoration process, If not I'll toss a few unsuspecting images in along the way. Nothing major going at the moment, a few bow repairs and a couple half finished violins.

The History Kid: should be grumbling at me hearing the rocks I threw on your roof! Too cool how the big internet has not squelched Local communication! I have to chuckle!

dwiLawyer: thank you. and dtel's wife: thank you. you all have made this a very nice start for me.

I am getting anxious now to get started, always is harder the last 24 hours of waiting.

Once I start the restoration, is there a particular place to post the process? A preferred sub-forum? I believe the technical/Modifications might be the most fitting, arguing that only the technical part fits, since I plan not to modify but restore these.

Tim

• Like 2

10 hours ago, harlantk said:

The History Kid: should be grumbling at me hearing the rocks I threw on your roof! Too cool how the big internet has not squelched Local communication! I have to chuckle!

The amount of construction up here - I didn't notice.  Can't tell rocks on the roof from the sound of them tearing up the roads. lol

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

The amount of construction up here - I didn't notice.  Can't tell rocks on the roof from the sound of them tearing up the roads. lol

Oh I hear you on that one, yes, seems that a lot of planning was done to determine the best way to reroute people, disrupt sleep, and create road interference as if it was a football game.

I agree with dtel's wife on going to the 2018 Pilgrimage, sadly can no longer make the long trips away.

I have to finish an inventory of parts here, and get that put away before the speakers arrive if I plan on being able to do any photos.  My timing was impeccable starting this new project, having started the new amplifier build just prior.But having "the" speakers the amp will be married to, is the best thing while building it. So actually is perfect timing, just going to be busy through the holidays for sure.

Ill get a thread opened tomorrow in the Technical sub-forum once I get pic's of as delivered.

Till then

Tim

I have started a thread in Technical now with some data. pics to follow soon, charging camera waiting for good light.

hope to see you there

Do we need to close this thread by chance?

Tim

Edited by harlantk
forgetfulness

1 hour ago, harlantk said:

Do we need to close this thread by chance?

No, let it die a natural death as interest shifts to your restoration thread.  Get together with @The History Kid to at least be able to audition your new speakers before March.  You can see the turntable I sold him.

I have several small chip amps; you're welcome to borrow one until your amp is ready.  Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

• Like 2

Hey Diz:

Wow nice offer there, and very much appreciated. I do have a few tricks left here to be able to sample the new speakers. It is a long story  but all my main gear is locked up storage for a while, so I am taking the opportunity to build a rather nice toy, or shall we say compliment to the Speakers :). I currently have been living with an Altec 2.1 mini thing and the computer for most of my music. Of which I can tolerate for a bit longer. Helps keep the goal of finish in the forefront too. I will have to holler at History Kid to find out what he is spinning on. I broke down and picked up a Project Debut II Carbon a month ago, just can not take the digital on my ears anymore. Not bad, took a bit to get into balance but otherwise I am actually impressed with it. Another project I have and had to put on hold, *sigh*, building a transcription table. Well I will have that for later on and more time to ponder the total look I was going for.

Waiting for the sun to creep out so I can get a few pics now, camera is all charged up, so just a matter of pushing a button. Dying to get cleaning them up, the stench of the ashtray has been an overwhelming experience. So Pictures, disassembly and long hot bath....

Tim