The Walnut in The Walnut

rickriley

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I purchased my walnut Klipschorns in 1977.  I've hauled them through six states in multiple moves over the years and upgraded the drivers and crossovers and such in 1989.

Two questions...

After the latest move, they've been in storage for the last two years and I'm getting them ready for a new, custom built room.  Over time, my wife who doesn't believe these works of art's beauty should stand alone, has adorned them with decorations that have left rings and marks. Regular restoration miracles in a bottle will not remove them and I believe the only true remedy is light sanding. IS THE WALNUT JUST VENEER, AND IF SO, HOW THICK?

Second, would you recommend updating the works again. Just before I put them in storage two years ago, they sounded great, but since I'm refinishing, have their been any changes worthwhile since the upgrade in 1989 that would warrant the expense and effort?

Thanks for the help. 

Veneer was originally around just under 1/32" when the pre-veneered panels arrived at the plant in 1977.  But the panels were sanded prior to assembly, and sanded again in the sanding department prior to the speakers receiving their finish....so you can figure that the final thickness for walnut veneer BEFORE finishing would have been much closer to 1/64".  That means that you can quite easily sand through that veneer when re-finishing...so be VERY careful.  Rosewood would probably be thicker, since it is harder and probably would not have been sanded as thin during original manufacture of the speakers.  Me?  I would not use a powered sander at all, just hand sanding with sanding block.  It is safer that way.

19 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

...for walnut veneer BEFORE finishing would have been much closer to 1/64".  That means that you can quite easily sand through that veneer when re-finishing...so be VERY careful.  Rosewood would probably be thicker, since it is harder and probably would not have been sanded as thin during original manufacture of the speakers.  Me?  I would not use a powered sander at all, just hand sanding with sanding block.  It is safer that way.

I would use a block and wet sand with 400 paper just to see how it goes. Valuable information. Thank you very much!!!